Anonymous
Years ago

Tom Daly trial with Kings

STURT'S 2012 Woollacott Medallist and long-time Adelaide 36ers development guard Tom Daly will trial for an NBL roster spot with Sydney Kings next week.

Kings coach Shane Heal invited Daly, 22 and a 186cm point guard, to trial with the club which is looking for a back-up playmaker to new import Jesse Sanders.

After leading Sturt to the SBL grand final last year, then spending another NBL season mostly as a 36ers development player, Daly has been averaging 13.7 points, 3.5 assists and 3.9 rebounds with the South-Conference leading Mount Gambier Pioneers in the SEABL this season.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers8217-tom-daly-to-trial-with-sydney-kings/story-fne5r4t9-1226662722313

Topic #31900 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Maybe Brad Hill rates him?

Reply #422850 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Doesn't matter if Hill rates him, Heal needs to "rate him"

Reply #422858 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

We (ATF) are following Tom to some try outs for the NBL Journey series.. He's got try outs with the Kings, Hawks & Wildcats at this stage. Joey Wright speaks highly of him still so you never know.

Reply #422861 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Heal could do worse than inviting chris cedar to trial for that spot. I'd think he'd give daly a run for his money.

Reply #422905 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Apparently Daly rang Heal for point guard advice (insert shooting joke here) a couple of years ago, so good on Daly for being proactive.

Reply #422907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sucking up more like it

the guy is a good seabl ABA player will never make it at NBL

cant beat a trap

Tigers trapped him and he hardly got on after that

Reply #422912 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yeah good call anon..how's the grapes?

Reply #422917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Kings fan I'd be disappointed to see Daly signed ahead of other local options. Let the 36ers keep him.

Reply #422919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers dont want him

trialled with wollongong last year didnt make it there

better younger options in adelaide

Reply #422922 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Get off the kids back .

The reason crowds are down in Adelaide, is we don't know or meet the players .

Ben, Brad, Tom all to kings means they are good enough in someone's eyes.

Wouldn't it be nice to pay your 25 bucks to see some local talent on our court.

I not saying fill the sixes with all local talent, but it would be nice to have a few on the roster to support and maybe see at a stadium locally.

Ben came home last year as co captain of Kings and beat us .

Give Daly minutes, go and get a couple of big imports to crash the boards IMO

Reply #422929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree 100% Annon. I have nothing against Daly either but as a Kings supporter I'd rather pay to see a local kid given a chance than poaching one of yours from Adelaide.

Tom Wright (SEABL Thunder) and Jarrad Weeks (WCL Norths) have both served time as Kings development players so give one of them a go.

Reply #422932 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Tom Daly was successfully trapped in the SEABL, therefore he can't make it as a professional.

Keyboard warrior logic.

Reply #422935 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

Would be a good back up in Perth wonder if that was the reason why Perth released Bartlett

Reply #422938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Bartlett was released because Damian Martin wanted him gone?

Reply #422941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No coach yet and he's gone. Interesting.

Reply #422942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wasnt talking about SEABL

was talking about melbourne tigers trapping him

very over rated player, cant shoot

bit like his brother

Reply #422952 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Yeah Daly really isn't good. Would take probably all of last years backup PG's over him.

Reply #422954 | Report this post

Hawk  
Years ago

Any news on who the "186cm point guard" trialing as well could be?

Reply #422956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure the SEABL import is Montreal from Dandenong - Bad choice IMO! He wouldn't be able to guard a 3 and is not strong enough to play a 4.

Reply #422962 | Report this post

MIM  
Years ago

I've always rated daly. I think he's not a bad pick up for a 10 minute energy guy off the bench.

Reply #422963 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Daly clearly had the better of Tom Wright in their two meetings in SEABL. Check out how Pioneers opposition pg's have gone and you will see why Sydney are interested.

Reply #422971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Daly would have been better served by playing college ball? Sure he would of had to have found the "right fit" but seems to me that he would have been in a better position to come in a trial with a bunch of team at this point and secure a spot on a roster.

Interested in people's thoughts on this, I think this is a classic example of a kid that definitely should have gone.

Reply #422982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kyle Armour is the 186cm guard trialling for the backup position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXE6uVAYhdQ

Reply #422984 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Tom Daly is a very good player and point guard. He is a Woollacot medalist (check out the other names on that list)He has lead Sturt to an ABL Championship.
He has played and performed well as a rookie in the NBL and he is currently running the point for a team that is in first position in its SEABL conference. His team has every starter averaging 13 or more. Not sure what else he needs to do to gain respect. A number of NBL clubs have interest in him and he may or may not end up on a roster. If he doesn't it does not diminish his talent or performance. There are only 7 NBL teams in Australia with 8 Aus spots.If your one of the lucky ones you are doing ok, if you are being considered your doing ok. We are all entitled to our opinions but the facts dont lie.Tom Daly isx a very good young player.

Reply #423020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said anon, I think Daly is progressing nicely.

Reply #423032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazing how quickly some on here turn. Last NBL season people were screaming for Daly to play more and sit Cadee.

Reply #423043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that some of the people on here (eg Ingles13) are simply jealous and hating because they got towelled up by them at some stage in juniors (by one Daly or the others teams).
Of course, Ingles13 could have some great advanced metrics to prove to us why...

Reply #423053 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Wait Daly averages 3 assists a game, in the SEABL...

I'm sorry but that's shit, am I expecting far too much from young Australian point guards in lower grades, I want them getting 2 assists a quarter and he isn't even averaging 1... Way to get your team mates involved mate!

Reply #423229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As far as college is concerned that's no guarantee-e.g Ben Allen!

Daly is a great player hopefully he gets another chance to play in the NBL at some stage.

Reply #434648 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Daly can score the ball at the lower level no one questions that...i think it is more to do with his assist rate and getting his team into its offence that are the only things holding him back.

If he works on those weaknesses he'll be back in the league....maybe a year or two working on that part of his game will really help him develop into a solid NBL PG of the future.

Reply #434668 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754