Anonymous
Years ago

Jason Kidd to coach Nets

Jason Kidd has just been named head coach of the Brooklyn Nets a great move imo

Topic #31902 | Report this topic

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The Nets board must know something because when a quality name like Brian Shaw comes knocking, you don't really pass that up.

Reply #422871 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Should have gone with Brian Shaw...did they even target Karl?

Heat assistant Fizdale?

Theres too many good coaches out there than to simply go out and hire a player with no coaching experience.

Reply #422872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kidd will be good

but correct a lot of good coaches have been missed.

look for hollins to go to denver and karl to Memphis

Reply #422873 | Report this post

psycho  
Years ago

Time will tell. Good enough to be an assistant on any team but I've seen a few players succeed straight away as a Kidd fan I hope he does well

Reply #422875 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Agree with Karl and Hollins swap. Rumours of Rivers leaving Boston and Clippers hunting him as well.

Kidd will be good I think. He has Frank as his top assistant as well, and is best buddies with Deron which helps (as he is the coach killer!).

Reply #422876 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not an ideal candidate for a head coaching position when you consider his off-court problems...

Reply #422882 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Off court problems from 10 years ago with his wife?
Or DUI last year? Which many have done before. Shouldn't affect anything IMO.

Reply #422887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jason Kidd the Michael Voss of the NBA.

Reply #422892 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Very surprised they took him on as head coach straight away. Probably would have preferred he be an assistant for a few years rather than leaping straight in but the Nets obviously saw something they really liked and pounced. Hope it works well for both parties as I'm a fan of both.

Reply #422893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a coach on the floor, could either be an inspired choice or premature. I sometimes mix both into the one night!

Reply #422894 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Suprising choice given the other coaches available and someone like Shaw how has served a good apprenticeship.

It is strange he is not taking a year off or doing an assistant role for a season before stepping straight in. Even Voss did a year in the media before jumping in.

I think a big influence was his friendship with Deron. The Nets want results now given thier payroll but they just don't have the team to complete with the Heat, Pacers, Bulls and will need to make some chnages. The Cavs and Wizards will over take them as well in the coming seasons is they draft right.

Reply #422895 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

Espn article states that he didn't just go in their and puff out his chest... he went in and drew up plays etc.
As a nets fan it's an exciting time, hope Coach Kidd = Happy Jwill and a winning franchise.

Now if only we didn't sign Gerald wallace for so much coin... but thats another story!

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9378352/jason-kidd-hired-new-coach-brooklyn-nets

Reply #422902 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Good decision. We all know he can see what's happening on and off the court 3 steps ahead of everyone else, so if that translates to his coaching then he will thrive. Could he be a future HOF coach also?

Reply #422908 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

One other point;

Kidd commands respect. His experience, success and talent alone commands the respect of every player in the Brooklyn locker room. That's invaluable to the success of the franchise. So often you hear about player coach conflict, I don't think that's going to happen with JKidd, especially since he's fresh out the league.

Reply #422911 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Calling it "off the court troubles with his wife" is underselling it a little. He hit her.

Reply #422913 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also it was more than just a "DUI which many have done before".

You should work in PR or politics.

Reply #422914 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Thanks Mick appreciated. Will look into it.

I never justified it, I never would justify hitting a chick.
I just said it has nothing to do with him coaching, which was in response to your comment of not an ideal head coaching candidate.
People make mistakes, and are forgiven. Shit his wife stayed with him for another 6 years so she forgave him.

Reply #422921 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Nah just saying it's a bit of a reflection of his maturity.

Reply #422923 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Fair enough.

Deron is the big problem with the Nets IMO. He ran Sloan out of town in Utah, surely he had a bit to do with Johnson being ousted, and apparently didn't see eye to eye with PJ.
If he clashes with his buddy Kidd, it could get interesting.

Reply #422924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DB5 made a good point, though hitting a woman is never acceptable all parties involved have moved on. Back to coaching time will tell but I'm happy with the signing good times ahead for the nets

Reply #422926 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Interesting that Deron openly vouched for Sloan to be hired as Nets coach after what happened in Utah...

Reply #422928 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

DB5, good point.
Deron's inability to see eye to eye with just about every coach seems to get swept under the rug.

Reply #422931 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yes I read that Mick, but maybe it was just window dressing? Just saying the right thing knowing the Nets would not pick Sloan.

PJ was 35-19 as interim coach. Not really sure what he did wrong. However I hope Kidd succeeds.

Reply #422936 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The Nets are doomed until they can get some basketball brains in the front office anyway.

So many bad contracts and lazy players...

Hopefully Kidd can turn it around a bit but they're going to be pretty hamstrung until they can get Joe Johnson and others off the books.

Which is going to be very difficult...

Reply #422940 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Lets all slit our wrists now Mick. Kidd sees the upside & good on him!

Reply #423026 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

There's always upside when your owner has the deepest pockets in the NBA, but they have to get Johnson, Wallace, Humphries and a few others off the books before they can make any noise.

Reply #423038 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

I'm getting tired of NBA GM's giving into every demand of their star players including whatever their preference is coaching staff, how plays are run, which teammates stay/trade, how often they have to pass the ball. For every STAR player in the league theres another bunch coming through from college or europe ready, if ever given the chance, (less likely given the above). Deron Williams is one of the most overrated players in the league right now.
There are many coaches who have served their apprenticeship as already mentioned who would have been a better choice. time will tell.

Reply #423046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:01 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754