Rav
Years ago

Simmons now 3rd on ESPN 2015 Ranking

I know we talk about Simmons, Exum & Maker a lot on this forum.
But I just read an article on ESPN about Simmons rise on the ESPN 2015 Recruitment ranking (He is now 3rd on the list).

ESPN Comments:
"Simmons, a native of Australian who is now eligible for the recruit rankings after landing at Montverde Academy (Fla.), finds himself shooting up the charts to debut at No. 3. He is a rare find because of his combination of athleticism and skills. He was extremely impressive over three days in March playing for Montverde as it won the National High School Invitational and finished the season No. 1 in the country."

ESPN 2015 Recruitment Rankings:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2015/view/super60/sort/rank/order/true

This is a great achievement & shows he could be a future top 5 pick in the NBA.

Topic #31912 | Report this topic

MIM  
Years ago

It's certainly a great sign. But alot can happen in 3 years.
I remember when AJ Ogilvy was listed as a late first rounder in NBA Mock Drafts about a 18 months prior the draft. Then he gradually got lower and lower.

Reply #423113 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

So this is basically a list of the highest rated prospects Colleges are allowed to recruit in 2015?

Obviously a lot of hard work to be done still, but the mere fact that he is that high is great for Australia, because it means he has the potential to be great for us down the track.

I couldn't find Exum in any of the lists. Wouldn't he have been ranked pretty high as well?

Reply #423119 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@Beantown Draftexpress has Exum at pick 9 in next years draft, pretty excited as it is said to be one of the strongest drafts in a long while!

Reply #423120 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Aj was once expected to be a lottery pick in his first year. goes to show what can happen. Although both Exum and Simmons look the real deal. Im over in the US atm and will be in Miami for game 5 of the finals. I watched tonight's game at a sports bar here in Vegas, everyone other then Miami seems to be going for the spurs here. no one wants Miami to win.

Reply #423122 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

What are you there for Sitiveni?

Tea Party meetings?
Buying a share in Miami?
Manipulating the AUD?
Buying things to make money out of but not really doing that actually just buying things so you can control them but pretending to buy them to make money out of them so you can fool everyone including yourself?
journalism school?

Reply #423123 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

sitiveni, the election is approaching yet whenever you've made correspondence with us, you're in the US. What's the go?

And yeah I used the word correspondence, because us simple hoops people need to raise the bar when people of such high esteem are among our ranks. I hope you appreciate the effort.

Reply #423124 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Oh hello guys how r we, long time no talk. Statsheet and HO, how r u guys. Great to hear from you both, how is Melbourne and or Adelaide

Reply #423126 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Hahaha you have no idea, sit. Have a good night, mate.

Reply #423127 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Good night Statsheet

Reply #423128 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Banter

Reply #423134 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Scary thing is, Simmons could still grow an inch or two.

Reply #423163 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

ESPN did a story on 2016 today.
Thon Maker is number 2 on the 2016 recruitment list

ESPN 2016 Recruitment Rankings:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/view/terrific25/sort/rank/order/true

Thon Maker (No. 2)
If anyone could challenge Giles for the No. 1 spot, it's Maker. He's a 7-foot center with the body of a young Kevin Garnett. His elite timing while blocking shots and his mobility and coordination for his size are special. It's amazing to see him handle the basketball and make jumpers all the way to the 3-point arc, but he can also finish inside. He still lacks strength, but once his body adds weight, the sky is the limit for him.

Reply #423172 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

All this is great but I dont see him ever representing Australia or even mentioning he lived here.

Reply #423186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

youknowME are you referring to simmons or maker?

Reply #423190 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Maker

Reply #423192 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

He lived in Australia for close to 10 years.
But mostly played soccer.

Article below is a good read about his life so far.
http://zagsblog.com/articles/is-16-year-old-thon-maker-basketballs-next-big-thing/

Does mean he will ever play for Australia, but we can always hope.

Reply #423198 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Has anyone even asked him to play for Australia?

Reply #423200 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Well I am sure they would have.. hes an australian technically and is the biggest thing in the world of his age. You would say they would have... He should have played a junior comp by noiw. That should be Basketball Australias aim... so that we have ownership of his international rights. I reckon he will end up playing for team USA by the end.

Reply #423201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would have to be a lock for 2014 world 17s. I seriously doubt he will be available

Reply #423206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stop being so negative...

Reply #423217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons played at 17 worlds for Aussie so can't play for anyone else but aussie

Reply #423219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Simmons and Exum have goals of playing for the Boomers. They are proud Aussies.

Not so sure about Maker but in a recent interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJjWXSVcPs)he said Australia and mentioned that he moved there when he was five. When asked about where his Australian accent went, he said he never had it.

It would be great to see all three live up to their huge potential though.

Reply #423228 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Anonymous, theres no question about simmons and Exum... they are as Aussie as it gets. reason I am skeptical about Thon is he has never played a junior representative team and for the Nike challenges played on african and american teams not the aussie one. However, hes an Australian technically and unless sohe chooses to change something we are who he will represent if he represents anyone. Right now anyways.... I wouldnt mind betting USA Basketball would make a play on him if they can

Reply #423232 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754