The Cheese
Years ago

Patty Mills out for the remainder of finals

A blow to the Spurs as Patty will have surgery on his foot and therefore be out for the finals

http://airalamo.com/2013/06/16/injury-update-patty-mills-out-for-remainder-of-nba-finals/

Topic #31928 | Report this topic

Cats82  
Years ago

The towls are to heavy!

Reply #423464 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Yeh we just noticed while doing the national anthem he is in a suit with the spurs jacket on the outside.

Reply #423466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't see the Spurs getting up now. :(

Reply #423471 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No need to patronise Patty by calling this "a blow to the Spurs", Cheese...

Reply #423473 | Report this post

Energy from the bench surely means something, Mick.

Reply #423475 | Report this post

The Cheese  
Years ago

x2 Statsheet Stuffer

Reply #423478 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah, as a macro factor that is great for team culture and boosts morale over the course of a season or finals run, not something that has a quanitifiable game-by-game impact.

Reply #423479 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

what does this mean for him playing in the Aus-NZ series?

Reply #423482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't think he would play in NZ series with both teams qualified. With this surgery he has a chance to get himself right for training camp

Reply #423490 | Report this post

The Cheese  
Years ago

He is still waving the towel on the bench in his suit

Reply #423493 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

This from today's Advertiser. Probably says everything about Patty's chances of staying with the Spurs.

AN infected toe may have cruelled Australian star Patty Mills' NBA finals campaign, ruling him out of a bench spot for today's crucial game five.

But that may be the least of his problems. The gun shooter could be looking for a new home.
After failing to make the squad for game four - where the Miami Heat returned fire to level the topsy-turvy series 2-2 with San Antonio - Mills did not train with the Spurs yesterday.
However as he rested at home, Spurs assistant coach and former Australian Boomers coach Brett Brown raised questions over the Canberra-born guard's future in San Antonio, saying he may have to look elsewhere to go to the next level.
Brown, an NBL legend who is in the midst of a fifth NBA finals series, said Mills would put himself in a "dog fight" if he opted to stay with the Spurs, fighting for the role of bench point guard with more highly rated players including Cory Joseph.
While the coach said the team would love to keep him, given the respect and affection they have for the 24-year-old, he would not be guaranteed the role, and the playing minutes, that he craves if he bunkered down with the Spurs for another year.
"You would think (he would get more game time elsewhere). Ultimately it is up to him to find a solid back-up point guard role and find 12-14 minutes a game, and securing that rotation and going from there. I hope somewhere in his career he can find that," Brown said.
"I think if he stays here he is in a dog fight with Corey Joseph who comes in for Tony Parker. Cory Joseph is 20 years old and was a first-round draft pick, so he is not going to get worse. He is only going to get better.
"We believe there is a future there for him, and if that's not true then you move on, and he's created that type of value for himself. Why wouldn't (other teams come knocking on his door)? The risk-reward with Patty is small because you cover both sides - he can deliver on the court and he can deliver in the locker room and that is not to be disputed."
After leading the scoring at the London Olympics, Mills slotted into the San Antonio line-up smoothly, becoming a rotational player off the bench through December and January, averaging 6.4 points a game in the latter month. But for reasons coach Brown could not pinpoint, Mills fell out of the rotation and was used sparingly for the remainder of the season, coming on late in the season to drain 23 and nine points respectively in the final two games of the regular season.
"There is not a specific instance. He has played more off guard this year than point guard, so at times it becomes a match-up situation," he said.

Reply #423497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the update cheese

Reply #423499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've always thought he would be better off with another team.

Reply #423501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Said last year Patty should've opted out of his contract when his stock was high after that 30 & 10 game towards the end of the regular season.

Now he will be fortunate to get more than the minimum probably on a 1 year deal from another team.

Reply #423503 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Timing never been Patty's strong suit but then again he probably figured after last season he'd be getting a few minutes. I dunno is there anyway he can bulk up and improve his defense? Get a bit of Nate physique? I'm probably stretching for something that's not there.

Reply #423506 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He's probably better off leaving now. Not going to get ahead of any of those guys who pretty much offer the same thing as Patty except with more size. But that's not say that he should have left San Antonio last year. Being part of this run would be great for his development.

He needs to find a team where he's the Gary Neal: a streaky bench gunner.

Or he can develop his PG skills but that's probably a bit much to ask at his age.

Reply #423508 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't think his skills are the problem. It's his mentality, of being a score first, second and third player. Its great that he can put points on the board in a hurry but his future in the league is as a point, and he doesn't have the capability right now to be the floor leader.

Reply #423513 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agree Situation, but at this point he can still be a valuable instant offense off the bench like a like Jason Terry or Gary Neal. Ideally, yeah, he becomes a pure PG and makes others around him better but I don't think you just become one all of a sudden at his age.

Reply #423522 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Patty can still give something to an NBA team off the bench (no doubt about that).

He would do no worse than someone like Kemba Walker.

Kemba is shielded a little bit by the fact that he only just finished his second year and put up 17.7ppg.

But in reality, he is only a year younger than Mills and:

Actually check this out:

Per 36 minutes:
Mills = 17.4 ppg over career
Walker = 17.4 ppg over career.

Mills has shot much much higher percentages as well both from FG, 3point and FT!

Reply #423524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good stats Macdub. He is very much so underappreciated - even more so on this forum.

Reply #423529 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Didn't Patty have the player option for this season with the Spurs? I'm sure his agent would have looked around for a better deal. This off-season he's at the mercy of the Spurs team option, but at a scheduled $1.13m for next year, he's a cheap option, and if anyone saw how Pop and Parker raved about him on that NITV doco, I'll say he'll be there.

Reply #423530 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think his "under appreciation" on this forum is evened out by the many comments that he has superstar potential in the NBA.

Mick's comment was good. He could be a Jason Terry type player but he still needs to do more to get team mates involved when given the reins.

Reply #423532 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Patty can flat out score, we know that. It has been proven by his top-10 finish in points per 48 minutes in 2011-2012, and his leading scorer title from the Olympics. But in reality, 6-0 (if lucky) scoring guards don't generally have long and successful careers unless their names are Isiah Thomas or Allen Iverson. Patty is only 24, he has time to work on his weaknesses, and San Antonio is a fantastic place to do that. And in reality, he was only the 55th pick of the draft. That low a selection doesn't exactly produce dozens of players with 'star' quality.

Reply #423534 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

you guys forgetting Jeremy LIN...?

Just sayin'

Yes, he has time and just like the little Ivy Leaguer he can turn it around. With some luck and effort, stay injury free and given the chance of course he can mack a splash.

Agree, work on those little weaknesses and play on his strengths...

Reply #423537 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...make a splash...

Reply #423539 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah but Jeremy Lin is different. Patty has to actually change the way he plays the game entirely, not just "play better" or wait for an opportunity like Lin did. He needs a different mindset. I mean, he's already lost the PG gig at the Boomers because we play better when he's not running the show.

To be a 6 foot nothing scoring guard in the NBA you have to be GREAT.

He needs to learn how to run a team.

Reply #423541 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I'm not sure he'll ever develop the skills required to be a 'true' point guard. This is not a knock against him, just reality. He's made it this far playing to his strengths, perhaps he just needs to continue with that and become as strong as possible in all those offensive areas.

Reply #423542 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Mick, you're right about the Boomers part. It was so clear, right from the first minute that Delly stepped on the floor in the first game against the young Greeks at Hisense, that the offence flowed so much better. It really was surprising to me that it took so long for Brett Brown to make the switch with Delly coming into the starting five, and Patty shifting spots.

Reply #423544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Portland was stacked with guards, and spurs are stacked with guards. Obviously more opportunity would come at a club that is stacked with bigs.

Reply #423555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Utah?

Reply #423564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any crap team where he can get minutes will do.

Except the Bobcats.

Reply #423606 | Report this post

I'd like to see Patty play somewhere like Denver or Utah because he'd simply run his opposite guard to a halt. He's pretty damn fit.

Does anyone have stats on shooting percentages at altitude compared with the more sea-level NBA venues? Not just for Mills but all NBA? It just popped into my head--from memory, I generally see Denver and Utah shooting better at home games.

Reply #423607 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754