Happy Days
Years ago

Sydney Kings trial this week-whos going?

Mitch Philip and import Justin Watts is going.Who else?

Topic #31933 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eric Williams.

Reply #423552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom Daly, deba George

Reply #423556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing they'll get a local to play backup pg and an import in the 3/4 spot. With Garlepp and Hill the only genuine 3/4s in the team they'll def need some cover

Reply #423557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

33 people attending. I dont beleive that George is one of them. The kings need a spot for Madgen and 3 dev spots.

Reply #423558 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Wasn't this trial specifically for the back-up point guard spot, the second import (SEABL level import), and the development player spots?

Are we talking Eric Williams of Nunawading and Corio Bay? He could definitely be an NBL contributor in a reserve role.

Reply #423559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will they fill madgens spot with local or import?

Reply #423560 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Hopefully they let people know who the 33 are?

Reply #423561 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Tom Wright.

Reply #423562 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I'm going this week.. I could see if I'm allowed to publish a list if you like?

Reply #423563 | Report this post

PS  
Years ago

If you want great dunks - Watts is your man (Awesome vertical athleticism)
If you want someone to play defence - look elsewhere!!!

Reply #423565 | Report this post

Whitey  
Years ago

George had an indication from the kings that he would be invited weeks ago, it would be CRAZY if he didnt get an invite.

Reply #423574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there truth to the rumour about George trialling with the wildcats?

Reply #423579 | Report this post

Braydon Hobbs was NCAA2 player of the year. Not sure if he is playing QBL this season, but he could get a look in. Both SG and PG, PG preferred.

Would absolutely love for Deba George to get a spot though.

Reply #423580 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

George spent a week in Perth trialling. I thought Hobbs would get a look in. Nat if you can let us know whos there that would be a help.

Reply #423583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George has trialled with the Wildcats and was super impressive, as he is with the Kings today.
I beliive there are import players from the QBL and the SeabL there as well.

Reply #423591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rangers import DQ Montreal.

Reply #423609 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think George will get picked up.Has matured and ticking all the boxes.

Reply #423619 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I wonder if the Kings will inquire as to why he was released by the Cairns Taipans..

Reply #423629 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I wonder if the Kings will inquire as to why he was released by the Cairns Taipans..

You think that you'd need a straight/no bullshit answer to this issue, even if the reasons aren't valid now... With all the crap that NRL players are causing off the field, and with Madgen out, the need to fill this spot with a quality player, is even greater than before...

Reply #423633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to this article on Eric Williams attending - there is 4 players the Kings are looking at, but it doesn't name who any of the other 3 are:

CORIO Bay Stingrays import Eric Williams will have three days to prove he is worth a spot on an NBL list.

Williams goes to Sydney today to trial with Shane Heal's Kings and Stingrays coach Dan Riches believes he will show his worth.

"He will do some sessions with Shane Heal and the Kings program. There are four players they are looking at and Eric is one of them," Riches said.

"Knowing Eric, he will give it everything he has got.

"Defensively, Eric will be as good as any other guy to defend the one through to the three spot."

Reply #423635 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

http://www.sydneykings.com/article/id/1kez4fuewvnvw1u31ui16zb6l8

Gives a little run down on what is going on. Doesn't name the players who are vying for an import spot though.

Reply #423652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Justin Watts from QBL is also there.

Reply #423655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A concept not unlike what is done in the nba teams
More nbl teams should introduce this
Perhaps an event like a combine with the best available for all teams to be apart of
To see who might be able to take it to the next level

Reply #423662 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon^, the NBL did run a 'combine' type event one year, not too long ago. It was down run in Melbourne, at Waverley I think. Stacker ran it.

Reply #423664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George impressed yesterday. 2 more days to go. There are 25 players there apparantly.

Reply #423686 | Report this post

Seablfan  
Years ago

Yeah, I remember that combine. It managed to help Ricky Henderson from Ballarat Miners SEABL team get picked up by Adelaide Crows... Should have been call AFL players combine

Reply #423716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Extremely competitive training sessions. All players acquiting themselves well. Decision time looming and so many talented players all vying for a few spots. Tough decisons to be made. Let's hope they keep the momentum going and don't linger on their desicions long.

Reply #423755 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

As for the 2nd import slot, Hammer is still booked in to go OS to continue his search, I hope, and won't rush into the first impressive SEABL option... Hopefully his trip will be more fruitful than Nick Marvin's junket over to the States to look for a coach...

I'd be a fan of the idea of using multiple import options in some pre-season games (if they were early enough) to get a better feel of whether or not SEABL or other options were up to it... Pre-season train still starts in July for them? I think it did last season... a month of training, maybe bring in some lower league options, play a touring US college team or something, still gives whoever is recruited a solid month of training with the team...

Reply #423774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the Lobos are visiting Australia soon. I am not sure that you can have multiple imports on a roster playing official NBL pre season games either. Unless they are already here and even then doubtful.
It also seems that the O/S junkets of Woolpert have now extended to Marvin and his entourage.

Reply #423780 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

The SEABL regular season doesn't finish until mid-August (and then finals after that). I'm sure teams would allow their players to go to things like this mid-week Kings scrimmage to try and give them the best opportunity to make an NBL team, but I highly doubt these teams would allow their best players to go up to Sydney and play pre-preseason games on weekends while the SEABL season is still underway!

Reply #423781 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Not more than two imports per game, more like two options in one game, two different options in another... Moreso already-in-Oz options as there's always been that "I'm here ready to play, but waiting on my visa" period during the pre-season for previously OS-based imports, and I'm sure there's visa restrictions on needing to be employed to get the visa, so it wouldn't work for them anyways...

I dunno, just thought that it would be a good way to really test SEABL imports and their capabilities without having to commit to a contract then cut them and then go about finding someone else... Sort of like the NBA 10-day contract... It could be win/win really... The NBL team gets to trial a SEABL import or two, the import gets some more exposure and understanding of what's required for the next level even if they don't make it...

Reply #423782 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Why not run a SEABL import camp here in Melbourne and let them go head to head and the NBL coaches can have a look at whats availible.Similar to what Joey Wright did in the States.

Reply #423793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL teams are not going to risk the imports they are paying getting injured around playoffs time.

Reply #423796 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754