Joshua OSWALD (VIC)
Keanu PINDER (WA / COE)
Dane PINEAU (VIC / COE)
Michael ROWLEY (NSW)
Felix VON HOFE (VIC / COE)

Topic #31940 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it is. They are still missing height (or perhaps a true centre).

But all the best to the guys going to represent australia and of course a speedy recovery to Mirko.

It will be a very interesting championship in which australia should do very well with a large group of underages, that is, born 1995-96 instead of 1994. it will be a great test.

Reply #423700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the best to the team wish Simmons was playing could have made us medal contenders

Reply #423706 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Good luck to our boys, do us proud!

How many are available in this squad as DPs in the NBL?

Reply #423710 | Report this post

Daneo  
Years ago

I read also that the USA has gone with a fairly short lineup as well. We tended to cope well in the recently friendlies.

Reply #423717 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Agree, for whatever reason the USA loves the 6'8" type of power or small forward player with excellent atleticism and strength, also shooting it from mid to long range and taking it to the hoop for the dunk.

Back to the basket bigs may either be in short supply at this level or are we seeing a slight change in trends...?

Of course every coach would love a 7' monster that can play and defend while providing the opposition a 'Shack' like headache, but these boys are hard to find and take longer to develop.

Hence, at this age they may not get a look in, but they will be thereabouts later on, perhaps just timing...!!

Reply #423719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree bear. Darcy Malone is a good example he is legit 7footer but very raw can't just put him in the team because he's tall. Is a prospect down the road

Reply #423720 | Report this post

lift  
Years ago

Bear, I truly can't work out if that last post was sarcastic or not?

Reply #423721 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Really...?

Reply #423727 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I think lift is lifting too much and its got to his head

Reply #423729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphrey bear I don't think you're sarcastic lift made me laugh

Reply #423734 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Height doesn't matter so much.

Players with wingspan and the mobility to defend off screens at the perimeter are just as important.

Actually, overall small differences in height don't mean too much. The difference between a 6"10 and a 7 footer may be a long neck/head. Their wingspans are probably similar in length anyway.

Reply #423735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point macdub we are talking 5cm. Matt knight is a good example of shorter guy playing center

Reply #423737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point macdub we are talking 5cm. Matt knight is a good example of shorter guy playing center

Reply #423738 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Made me laugh too, always good to throw off a good chuckle every now and then. MACDUB makes a good point... If you can get high enough to dunk and you can be big enough to defend the 4 or 5 man, you will have the size to play at any level.

Wing span is very sought after by coaches and scouts. I like the size of a Baynes type who has all the attributes you would want. He did take some time though, kicking goals now of course. Generalising, yes, but under 19 age group in hoops, footy etc... The real big boys do take longer to develop.

Not rocket science, I get it, just trying to answer the question on why we may have left some bigs out at this time...

Team looks strong, can't wait to see how we go!

Reply #423753 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Which f this team (outside the obvious) have big futures?

Reply #423757 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Considering Baynes first played basketball as a 16-17 year old, his development has actually been fairly rapid.

Reply #423764 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Yeah I think development time and growth spurts prob have a big thing to do with.
Another theory - Under 19 kids tend to have the physicality and leaping ability to play above the rim which only the tall juniors could previously.

Reply #423766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Duncan, Pineau, Bolden and Simmons we have alot of talent in the 203 to 206cm range. All might grow a bit taller. We still have Darcy Malone and Thon Maker both 213cm so the big man future is bright.

Reply #423783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Duncan, Pineau, Bolden and Simmons we have alot of talent in the 203 to 206cm range. All might grow a bit taller. We still have Darcy Malone and Thon Maker both 213cm so the big man future is bright.

Reply #423784 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The other reason why bigs take a long time to develop is that they can get by against most of the competition they grow up playing against with no post moves (and quite rightly so: no point in learning a dream shake if you can just go straight up every time). They just get by on being big, then when they jump to the next level, everyone is big and the learning curve only begins then.

Reply #423853 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754