Rashad
Years ago

Trevor Gleeson new Wildcats coach

The Perth Wildcats would like to announce that they have signed former NBL Coach of the Year Trevor Gleeson as their head coach for the next three seasons.
Gleeson is an Australian coach with more than twenty years of experience both in his home country and abroad.
He coached the Townsville Crocodiles from 2006 and in his first season improved their record from nine wins in 2005/06 to 20 wins in 2006/07. He's also the only coach in that club’s history to take the team to five consecutive finals series.
He has also been named the runner-up NBL Coach of the Year on three occasions, in 2006/07, 2008/09 and 2009/10.
Gleeson has coached five different teams in three different countries to the playoffs and has been a player scout for the NBA’s Portland Trailblazers. He was also the first Australian to be appointed head coach in the American Continental Basketball Association.
Gleeson says he has big plans for the Wildcats.
"I am very excited and honoured to be selected as the new head coach of the Perth Wildcats and am looking forward to building on the past and making this team in the premier team in the NBL," he said.
“I’m looking forward to coaching a passionate and cohesive Wildcats team, that plays hard, plays unselfish and plays together. They are qualities that I demand of my playing group.”
Wildcats managing director Nick Marvin says Gleeson is a perfect fit for the position
“Trevor established himself as the key candidate for the position with his hard working, honest nature and proven success as a coach and I believe he has what it takes to guide this club to another level.”
Trevor Gleeson began his career in the Victorian Basketball League before spending time coaching in Korea and the United States. He then returned to Australia where he coached the Townsville Crocodiles for five seasons from 2006.
In the 2010/11 seasons Gleeson led the Crocs into the playoffs with the second best record in the league and was awarded NBL Coach of the Year for that season.
He resigned from Townsville after that season and become the head coach of the Melbourne Tigers for the 2011/12 season.
Since then he has worked for multiple AFL clubs as a skills coach as well as running his own elite coaching education platform.

Topic #31954 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not David Patrick?

Reply #423990 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Devastated by the lack of "David Patrick" or even "Brendan Joyce" in this announcement.

Reply #423999 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Brendan Joyce was named Opals coach way back...

Reply #424036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why another topic?

Reply #424039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@proud - apparently sarcasm is lost on you.

Reply #424048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gay

Reply #424077 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

So much negativity regarding Gleeson's appointment. I think a lot of Wildcats fans need a reality check and realise this is the NBL, not Europe or the NBA! While they could have afforded someone better, they probably know thats its likely to not be worth it in an 8 team league, where 6 teams are really struggling.

I don't know if Gleeson will guide them to a title, but in terms of where he sits in the NBL coaching hierarchy, he'd be one of the better coaches going around at the moment.

Reply #424098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im just looking forward to seeing two good imports in the team and hopefully a more offensively potent game style

Reply #424148 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:41 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754