Melbourne Boy
Years ago

Lebron James GOAT!

Lets give the haters a place to vent!

Seriously though, what will it take? if he wins 6 titles and 8 league MVP's will the doubters concede?

Topic #31968 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must admit, I had a bit of a double take when that graphic about game seven ppg came up. For those who didn't see it, Lebron is about half a point per game better than Jordan (and anyone else in NBA history) in game sevens. Who says he ain't clutch?

Reply #424247 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

That was me^

Reply #424248 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I think the Lebron haters are the younger versions of the Kobe haters?

I was abit of a Kobe hater but now I appreciate how much of a great player he really is/was.

Lebron haters - dont be salty and miss out on some of the best basketball you will ever witness.

Reply #424249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lebron James is not the GOAT. Look at the guys/teams others like Jordan had to beat and the rules back then. For LeBron to only be a half a point better than Jordan when all things are considered just highlights why he isn't the GOAT!

Reply #424250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lebron's great of course

But no way in hell Jordan and Kobe are left single coverage as much and no way they're left that wide open. Any NBA player from a 1 to 3 should hit those shots

Reply #424251 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

He has won 2 rings on a stacked team in a weak league. Great player...YES. Best of all time......let's discuss that when he has finished. If he blows a knee next year and never plays again...... Right now he is the best player in the world (yes Ingles better than Harden). But the greatest of all time after 2 championships??? Put the crack pipe down guys...

Reply #424252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats don't lie

Reply #424255 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

He is not the GOAT, I'm not hating I'm being honest

You need to stop living in the moment, the same thing happened with Kobe when he was winning.

Jordan is the GOAT, talk to me in 5 years, then I will reconsider LeBron's position with a greater body of work.

Steve Nash has 2 MVP's this doesnt make him a top PG of all time. Playing in a different (softer) style of league makes a huge impact in my mind.

Jordan spoilt us because he was that greatest player AND had the killer closer instinct.

LeBron is a different sort of great player, but he is not Jordan, the way that Magic and Bird are not Jordan

Reply #424256 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think people that Hate the Heat direct that hate towards LBJ.

I hate the Heat. Don't like the way they conduct themselves.

But LBJ is ON TRACK to be the greatest player that ever lived.

Stats-wise he is an absolute freak.

Reply #424257 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

If he's not a GOAT, then he's definitely a BOAT (best of all time). To be clear, he's the MDOAT (most dominant of all time). I still can't believe he holds the record for PPGIGSH.

Reply #424258 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Shocking acronym...

Reply #424263 | Report this post

MIM  
Years ago

@Sebastian ... Weak League?

I think most people would agree he isnt the greatest of all time just yet ... but he's ahead of where MJ was at the same point in his career so he's on his way.

Reply #424264 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

I understand the comparison but it's impossible to compare two players from different eras. Jordan had to deal with hand checking but he had the favorable illegal defense rules which opened up the floor and made it much easier to get to the basket. Can't we just appreciate both guys for being great in their respective eras?

Reply #424265 | Report this post

SpeedwagonUncle  
Years ago

LeBron at the same age as Jordan as more championships, MVPs and finals MVPS.

Not to mention the scoring and triple double records.

He's well on track to surpass him.

Reply #424271 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Not a fair comparison SpeedwagonUncle - After 10 seasons in the NBA, LeBron has one more MVP award that MJ did, but one less championship and one less finals MVP award.

Not that any of this really matters. It is simply impossible to compare the two and say that one is/was better than the other.

Why can't people just enjoy greatness of the the best player currently playing the game without the need to constantly compare.

Reply #424274 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I heard Steve Kerr say on a podcast recently that he doubts whether Miami will be able to make the finals next season. He says the effort it takes to make three finals in a row takes so much out of the players, that they simply run out of steam eventually. Will be interesting to see if that runs true with Miami.

Reply #424275 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

That "game 7" stat floating around is extremely misleading. How do we know that the reason why Lebron has gone to more game 7s, and subsequently scored more, is because he took his foot off for a few games in the series, something Jordan rarely did.

Reply #424277 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Situation, you're reading too much into it. It's a standalone stat showing how he comes up big when absolutely needed.

Reply #424280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well they have made 3 in a row (won 2)the east conference is so weak who can challenge Miami (Indiana) too many people are basing lbj v mj based on stats. Lebron was 3 years younger when he started. I have seen both play and say mj is greater, ask about lebron in a few years

Reply #424281 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

One of the greatest players of all time. Is still awaiting a few more rings to challenge Kobe/Jordan/Magic/Bird... But come on. You need only to see the guy play to know he is the greatest player in the game today

Reply #424282 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'm not reading too much in to it. Just saying its not as telling as what Heat fans want it to be.

Reply #424284 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

You can't judge until his career is nearer completion. Like Vart said there is so much wear and tear on players who keep going deep into the playoffs. Jordan's record is so phenomenal because he won three in a row TWICE! The only other player to so utterly dominate his era was Russell with 8 in a row (11 in 13).

Lebron has even made comments in the past year indicating that he understands how difficult it is to win a title. So many things can go wrong that you can't control. So lets see how the next 4 years unfold before we start proclaiming him the GOAT.

Reply #424288 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Lets see how his baseball career goes first too!

Reply #424295 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I highly highly doubt he wins 4 more league MVP's with voter fatigue likely to occur soon as well as superstars like Durant, Dwight, Harden, Chris Paul, Paul George and Wiggins set to challenge him in the next 5-8 years

Reply #424298 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

He is certainly entering the conversation now with these type of performances. It's a fair endorsement when Magic himself annoints him as someone who could be GOAT!

Ingles 13 ^^^ couldnt help himself with the above post & slip Harden in to the names above. But Ingles 13 isnt on the Harden bandwagon...

Reply #424312 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

When LBJ builds a team and takes them to a championship I will start to consider him a runner up for GOAT...oh wait, he skipped that part and went to a highly stacked team..yeh that makes him great LOL

Reply #424314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He isnt quite GOAT level, but he is in the elite group, and could get close by the end of his career.

Not many guys have won 4 MVPs, back to back titles as the teams best player, 2 Finals MVPs and olympic gold medals as arguably the best player on the team, that alone puts him in the top 5-10 of all time,

we wont be able to compare him properly to say Jordan until his career is basically over, so until then LeBron is the best current player, best player to play in his era but too early to call GOAT, but when its all said and done he will be in the conversation even if he doesnt quite get there.

Congrats to LeBron, massive fan, everyone should just appreciate what he does while they can!

Reply #424332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greatest player of this era definitely. In his prime will be interesting to see how the next 5 years pan out.

Reply #424334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skud, with due respect.... you're an idiot. the GOAT (MJ) didnt build a team around him. he got Pippen, then the rest changed every year between Rodman, Armstrong, Cartright, Paxson, whoever)

Lebron played these playoffs mostly with the Big 1,occasionally wth some help.

this dude (and the Heat) can't win.

They hate because the Big3 dont perform, then they hate because they're the Big3.

Which are they? are they a Big3 or just 1 with 2 over rated spuds?

Fact is Lebron is the greatest player today. He may have struggled early in the finals but he found a way to make his team win.

What more do you haters want him to do?

Reply #424343 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"he got Pippen, then the rest changed every year between Rodman, Armstrong, Cartright, Paxson, whoever)"

Thats building a team around him moron.

Reply #424344 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Agree with Beantown here, Bill Russell's 11 rings in 13 years with 12 NBA All Star appearances and 5 MVP's looks a lot like GOAT material to me...

Reply #424406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Jordan is half as great as Russell? I get that he was dominant but how many teams were around back then. I say Russell, Jordan and lebron are all best of their eras and you could make a case for all three. Imo I pick Jordan

Reply #424409 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

If we're talking about clutch stats, how many times has MJ lost in the finals??

Zero

Reply #424583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many championships did Jordan have at 28 1. Lebron has 2. Most of these comparisons are silly I'm surprised people aren't going on about bill Russell or mighty Robert Horry and his 7 rings LOL.

Reply #424586 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The Bill Russell NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award (formerly known as the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award)

Says something...

Reply #424607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on "bear" couldn't agree more

Reply #424609 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

LBJ just overtook MJ on the all-time NBA points ladder, moving into 4th

Reply #736957 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

GOAT isn't even in the playoffs.

Reply #736959 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To think some people got sucked into thinking LeBron was the GOAT last year.

Never was nor will be in Jordan's league.

Reply #736963 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

*waits for outrage*

Reply #736964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is with all the Harden haters in here? the real GOAT

Reply #736965 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

If LBJ continues as he's going ...
- within 1 year he will likely move into 3rd
- within 3 years he will likely move into 2nd
- within 4 years he will likely move into 1st
- within 5 years he will likely become the first 40,000 point man
- within 10 years he could even become the first 50,000 point man

At what point does he deserve to be considered as the GOAT?

Reply #736973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because you play the longest and score the most points doesn't make you the greatest. No one talks about Kareem as the GOAT! He just scored a lot of points over a long period of time.

Reply #736985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If LeBron didn't get injured he’s in the playoffs. Goat, 2nd, 3rd who cares, just one unbelievable great and long lasting talent.

Reply #736986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It took him 118 more games to pass Jordan!

Reply #736988 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Only 118 more games for a guy who's not even supposed to be a scorer is not bad!

Reply #736990 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

It shouldn't be GOAT, it's more accurate to call it GOHT, greatest of his time. Funny how most things we consider the best, from music to movies to sport, it's what we grew up with that we consider superior.

Wilt Chamberlain was the greatest player if you look at particular individual seasons, I mean he averaged 50pts 25rebs in a season ffs, then led the league in assists for a season just to prove a point.

Kareem then had all the people who grew up in his generation saying MJ will never overtake him, he's a guard, the big man still affects the game most.

Now it's just been passed down to people aged 35-50 who now say Lebron can't pass Jordan, 6-0 in the finals.

In 10 years time if someone like Zion becomes otherworldly and is the player of his generation people wont be comparing him to Wilt, Kareem or MJ, it will be Lebron, because all the kids who are currently under the age of 20 now only saw Lebron, and the cycle will continue.

Reply #736993 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Wilt & Kareem get dismissed in GOAT talks (correctly IMO) because they (especially Wilt) played in a semi-pro era with little competition. Wilt at 7'1" was a giant in his era but if matched against say a Shaq would've got destroyed.

Kareem had more game than Wilt but I think Hakeem was a better more rounded centre and I wouldn't make an argument for Hakeem as the GOAT because I saw prime MJ and then prime LeBron.

Jordan was 6-0 in the Finals he was the best offensively we've seen and also great defensively far better than LeBron who also is held back by his poor Finals record 3-6.

Reply #736994 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754