Happy Days
Years ago

Basketball Adminstration V Other Sports

I though i would throw this out there for some constructive dialogue. Alot of people have recently been discussing the issues regarding basketball administration and the associated problems.I have had alot of dealings with basketball clubs over the last 18 months some good some not so good.
Example 1: Big V club riddled with infighting, conflict of interest etc etc. Builds a new stadium, provides a third of the funding and at the end of the lease has no ownership rights over the stadium.
Example 2: SEABL Club has a change of management,makes financial commitments to a number of key stakeholders only to break them.Key stakeholders see through the promises and take there money elsewhere.
Example 3 Big V club advertises CEO role goes through the interview process only to tell applicants that a decision has been deferred for 12 months only then to appoint the president.Conflict of Interest???
Example 4 SEABL Club.Strong board, financially very sound and professional in all dealings i have had with them.
After walking away a tad bemused,i now work in another sport. This sport has nearly unlimited resources.Wages are nearly double what basketball offers and if there is a problem they will send in the necessary resources to resolve it.They use experienced administrators with years of expertise in there field as Mr Fixits.
This is not a criticism of basketball but it is hard to get good administrators with the lack of $$$ availible and resources to back them up.

Your thoughts?

Topic #31983 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Name the clubs Happy.

Reply #424425 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

You could name the clubs, but it will just drive people the wrong way in the discussion.

HD, you bury a lot of stuff there.

First up, your club examples exist in all sports in my view. The difference may be that they are exemplified more in basketball because everyone generally comes to the one place to play so interaction in basketball between players, social teams, rep programs etc is far more intensive.

As for resourcing sports, there are probably only two sports that resource the way you talk about - AFL and cricket. Rugby league might in the northern states.

I remember saying to someone once just how much easier Demetriou's job is than Sengstock's. Almost all of that comes down to impetus and resourcing.

I agree basketball tends to pay its association and state level staff poorly - even relative to the revenues that its associations generate,

Reply #424426 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

^ agree. Interesting as I hear there a few clubs battling at the moment off-court.

Reply #424427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Name the clubs as at the moment it's Happy's interpretation. Alot of people on here are from clubs who can make further comment if clubs were known.

Reply #424428 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Its not about naming clubs, its about difference in $$$ between the sports and the professionalism. If you want to know what a CEO is worth for a big association 80-100k, $50-65k for medium and 40-50k for small or part time.

Reply #424429 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Your average footy league CEO ain't paid THAT much more than those levels - some wouldn't get to that, and their minions are poorly paid. An no one would be paid like that regionally in cricket because almost all cricket comps are volunteer administered.

However, an association like Knox or Dandenong is a much bigger and more complex business than a footy league. That is where the relevancy hits - with our association administrators, particularly those also managing stadiums, doing pretty poorly as a percentage of revenue.

I think most of the bigs are paying their CEO's more than that these days btw - i heard Knox's CEO was on 90k going back 5-6 years.

Reply #424430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate the way we merge with other sports set up new stadiums and then we are second fiddle. ie dandenong basketball albert park basketball stadium now msac highest payer gets the courts no loyalty.

Reply #424431 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Knox might be paying a bit more but i must admit i was a little surprised by what the larger associations had to offer.Your right the local football associations dont pay great dollars but once you move past that stage it is a very different story. It is hard because the top administrators chase the big dollars.

Reply #424433 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Dandenong is managed by basketball and primarily used for that - MSAC is not managed by basketball but its primary use is basketball.

Your average footy ground gets used for cricket. Not sure there is a huge problem with that.

HD - it would be interesting to know what the CEO's of the relevant state bodies are paid - I reckon the CEO of BV is a 220k job. Wonder what the CEO of AFL Vic receives.

Reply #424443 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

HO i think you would be pretty close to the mark with those figures.AFL pays alot more. The one that shocked me were the sports scientists $350k.Nearly fell off my chair!!!

Reply #424445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try being a basketball administrator outside of Victoria.

Reply #424449 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I have a friend in Sydney who is and hes always pulling his hair out in frustration.

Reply #424467 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Administration [management] is a genuine issue, but in all likelihood the real issue is likely to lie a little higher up the chain at governance [board] level.

The board sets the direction, tone, policies, objectives for the organisation. It also sets the salary scale and makes the senior management appointment/s.

Management will always struggle if the governance isn't right.

Reply #424468 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

POP your right on the money about governance.AFL are spending alot on regional governance to make sure that the structures are right and the decision making is being done on a local level.Pouring more money in for resources and setting up 8 major administration hubs across Victoria

Reply #424470 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Governance is an issue. I know one association in Melbourne where the administrator of the assoc was also the president of the association.

Reply #424514 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I suppose that situation happens a bit when there is no governance sitting over the top of them.

Reply #424521 | Report this post

anon2  
Years ago

Ho, you've got to be talking about Hawthorn and they would also be a candidate for Happy Days first example.

Anyway, I digress. It's a shame that there is no true governance framework that clubs need to comply with. You'd think if they were incorporated they would need some separation of power but it doesn't happen.

Not sure how you fix some of this because a lot of clubs are run by good people trying to do their best whilst having to fight against people pushing their own agendas.

Not sure it will change too quickly....

Reply #424526 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

basketball ain't got shit on what I gotta deal with...

Reply #424529 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

anon2, i was not talking about Hawthorn and the situation i was describing no longer occurs at that association and has not for some time. It was a smallish association.

Again though, the issues this brings up happens in every sport.

Its not uncommon for CEO's to have a vote on a board, often the constitution requires this. It is a impressive lack of governance that allows a CEO to be a President in a not for profit Australian association.

Reply #424550 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:38 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754