Benno
Years ago

Patty Mills Exercises Player Option, Will Return

Interesting seeings he is getting limited minutes, silly move in my opinion what are your thoughts?

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/6/24/4460246/patty-mills-exercises-player-option-will-return

Topic #31995 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. Time to move on

Reply #424603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to get some more towels.

Reply #424608 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Better to have a job that not one at all. Considering he's just had surgery and it might take a bit of time to get back moving again probably a good move. That's a 1 million dollar guaranteed contract. Might not have got that elsewhere.

Reply #424618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good move I think. He'll never play big minutes but he's gotten noticeably better in his time at the Spurs. Choice is great coach, organisation and team mates and fewer minutes or more minutes elsewhere. Would you rather get more minutes for a team like Sacramento or the Bobcats? Don't think so.

Reply #424620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$1m a year to basically sit on the bench sounds like a dream job to me though im sure he would rather play

Reply #424621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never a bad move to play with a team like the Spurs, and the money is always good in the NBA.

With guys like Ginobli getting older may even be a few minutes for him at some point.

At worse he has a NBA contract, earns awesome money - way more than most will ever earn, and a front row seat to some great basketball and is involved in one of the best clubs, coaches, team mates in the world.

Best case he gets a bit more playing time and gets a bigger contract next year, somewhere in the league.

Its a cant lose situation imo, i would have done the same, the Spurs are the type of club you would try to stay with as long as possible, obviously if there is a great offer to play more and earn more then you look at it, but im not sure Patty would have had too many other guaranteed offers on the table.

Reply #424624 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Patty

Reply #424629 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Opting in this early before the draft sounds like A trade is on the way for Millsy. Good move taking the guaranteed money.knowing the Spurs being a classy organisation I'm guessing they will be working with Patty and he'll end up with Danny Feery at Atlanta or with Brett Brown at 76's maybe even with Jacques at Orlando.

The Spurs will look after him.

Reply #424630 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I couldn't agree more Choppy, i smell a trade for sure!! Hopefully magic

Reply #424631 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

2 things that could get Patty more minutes next year.

1) I know there was a lot of De Colo trade rumours earlier on in the year, so he could shipped else where. He is in the same boat as Patty, but he might of requested a trade.

2) Gary Neal might be asking for too much money to come back next year.
Someone like the bobcats might pay him a overpriced contract for a Ginobili type role.

From all reports Ginobili will come back next year, but it won't be for the $14 million a year he is currently on.

I think Patty has done the right thing, another year playing with Tony Parker could only improve his game.

Reply #424633 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah i think its the right move, with where he is at you take the money while you can and then try for fit. Its not like he is in a position where he is highly coveted. He would probably have been a last signing on a team where is may get lost in the shuffle. Take the money and continue to develop if nothing else.

Reply #424643 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

To those who say he's in a good environment to develop his game, I'd question whether being a bench warmer for an NBA team, admittedly a great team like the Spurs with Tony Parker to learn off, is the best environment for becoming a better player. During the season they hardly ever practice owing to the heavy game schedule.

I remember when Jonny Flynn got to Melbourne he said something about the NBA not being great if you're an end of roster player who doesn't get much/any playing time.

Reply #424646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might not have even got another job in the NBA if he left the Spurs.

Reply #424647 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Guaranteed money for a 12th man on an NBA team? The decision was a no-brainer, he did the right thing.

Reply #424657 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Agreed - no brainer - you cannot turn down $1 million gtee and take a risk of not picking up a gig. Why would you would to go back to China or paly in the NBL earning $200k a year - we all would be bagging the guy.

Look how long it took Danny Green to break into the Spurs rotation and look at him now. The players and coaches like Patty so of he is smart he can learn of Parker and still improve his game.

Reply #424677 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754