Anonymous
Years ago

Crosswhite to quit Kings?

There are strong rumours from Sydney that Ian Crosswhite will not be available for the 2013-2014 season.

Some sources say there could be an announcement next week.

Topic #32004 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

quit bball all together? or just the Kings?

Reply #424689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giving the game away is the report that has been going around.

Reply #424691 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yikes! Not good...

Reply #424692 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

A disappointing turn of events, but if your heart isn't in it, at least we've got enough time to do SOMETHING about it... Hopefully...

Not sure how anyone else filling in at that position would work with AJ though... Maybe we cut our losses, put AJ in full time at the 5 and then find a proper 4?

Reply #424693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange move im sure kings will have back up plan in place

Reply #424694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possibly go for an import 4 to replace him, I also see Ogilvy playing 5.

Reply #424695 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Would be strange to quit in your prime as one of the better centres in the league.

Plenty of other NBL teams with gaping holes at the 5 who would be getting on the phone if true.

Reply #424696 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Chatting with him after games I got the feeling last season that he was glad to have come home to finish off his career, so hopefully it's just a case of his body getting banged around a lot as he was playing with niggles for most of the season, and not feeling quite into it any more and wanting to get on with life outside basketball...

At least I hope that's the case... I just hope it's not a blind side for the team, and that he's already given them a longer notice heads up...

Just looking up Jerai Grant's stats from over at Brindisi last season (as I was hoping that maybe he'd developed a decent outside shot), but they're most unimpressive, I wonder what the go was there...

Reply #424702 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Not surprised - Crossie during many Taipans functions was quite candid with us fans saying he only had a couple of years left in him (last year with Cairns) as he still wanted to pick up his kids/work the farm without a broken body. He wanted to finish his last season with the Taips back with the Kings but they still had Kazzough so he stayed a little longer so he could finish back at the Kings.

Signing Ogilivy, his post bball plan and the thought of another hard preseason probably made the decision easier. Good bloke, will miss him play NBL.

Reply #424708 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Spending time on the farm with his kids was the reason I heard Venom so I think you hit the nail on the head.

Reply #424710 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

He was an ok player. Shame he wont stay at kings because they were looking like having a pretty good frontcourt

Reply #424711 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Watch this space - Ross Allsop will be signed
College big forward who went to Europe and when came back at the start of this year to Sydney was training.
Soft big man but highly talented

Reply #424793 | Report this post

Ross Allsopp is NBL calibre 211cm 25yo.

Reply #424794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ian days as player were numbered as soon as he left cairns. He arrived to kings in average shape, lacked desire to dominate in a league with no real big man that could defend him.

Reply #424812 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

All respect to Ross, but didn't he do fairly average OS and while his numbers in Waratah league are fairly good, it IS still the Waratah League...

Maybe possible backup quality, but there's no way that he's starter level quality, which is the player that we need...

Bad mouth a retiring player all you like, anon, but truth of the matter is he was a quality player for us and he'll be a big hole to fill...

Reply #424819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having Ogilvy helps, probably gotta get an import 4. Allsopp would be good pick up but as a bench player. Crosswhite was a good player and will be missed

Reply #424820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dare say Heal knew this was coming which is probably why he signed AJ.

Ogilvy & Crosswhite frontcourt would've just been too slow and top heavy.

Reply #424826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way is Allsop a starter at NBL level like Crosswhite was so he'd be a huge step backwards as a replacement. Even his opposition in Waratah push him around & he cannot handle the rough stuff inside. There are better local bigs even in Waratah & more in SEABL or QBL but even those are not going to be the same standard as Crosswhite so I think an import is their best option.

Reply #424835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allsop playing NBL? You can't be serious. Maybe post some decent numbers in a decent conference before you might get a look in as an NBl rookie. To replace Crosswell is laughable.

Reply #424839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe if heal was a little more pleasant to Crossi he might still be playing.

Reply #424840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crossy and Heal would never of got on. They just think differently. Ian has one of the highest basketball IQ's I have seen and Shane is an instinctive on the fly type of coach. I just know that Ian would of been rolling his eyes at many of Shane's sets and quick hitters.
Having kid's has changed Ian. His interests now lie with his wife, kids and farm. Good on him and I wish him luck for the futire if he does give Basketball away.

Reply #424841 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Nerrr to Allsop, good for waratah but needs to be posting star numbers there to even be considered.

Reply #424843 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Never said he was better and never said he was good.
At the end of the season he was training with the kings and they attempted to get him on the roster.
He is talented but weak and he does get pushed around him really only Tom Dawson.
Heal loves him, as for better big in QBL maybe, but look at Iti heal doesn't like him.
Remember heal is his own man, I would be looking at Luke Overs not sure if his still playing in the waratah league but a very strong 4 man and only 26yrs old. He won the league MVP 2 yrs ago.

Reply #424845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the outcome of the imports that were on trial for the Kings? Who stood out? Any information on that?

Reply #424935 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Not to many good bigs floating around the state leagues ready to step up to NBL level and play minutes.

Maybe 1 or 2 in the SEABL & 1 or 2 in thw QBL but most of those guys capable are older 28+

So any local big would have to be young and a real project type guy and not sure if Heal is looking for that.

Reply #424936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would they start Ogilvy C and get a import pf/sf and go with

C Ogilvy
PF Import
SF Hill
SG Madgen (When returns from injury)
PG Sanders

Bench

C Garlepp
Pf ?
Sf Harvey
SG White
PG ?

Wouldnt be too bad, but obviously Crossy a big loss one of the best C's in the league imo.

Reply #424937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert?

Reply #424943 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

lol Kickert? Kickert should quit the game from what I have seen

Reply #424945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd look at a guy from the SEABL/NZ or something, even if they are a bit older could fill the gap for next season atleast, you generally cant get the guys back from Europe in a very cost effective manner so unless they are going to be stars generally not worth there demands and also largely cuts into the import budget.

Ben Allen was coached by Heal in QBL and Heal thought he was on the verge of a breakout in the NBL last season, would he be a cheap option? not ideal, but would be cheap and if he could find some half decent form could be a solid rotation guy, had the odd good game last season and seems to do ok at SEABL. I know it sounds funny having him play NBL after his form last season but you never know.

Reply #424949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless they can get Nevill how many other starting quality bigs are available (non import).

Reply #424954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would quit if Heal was my coach.

Reply #424962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McFarlin would be the obvious import replacement

Reply #424967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good thing I am 27 Tiger watcher what utter bollocks.
McFarlin as a former NBA 31 yo can certainly match it with any NBL player. Don't tell Lester he cant play NBL and a fit MomO would be there too. I dont know about the QBL it seems you do as well Plus you know about the national interstate leagues as well.

Reply #424988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TW said 2 and you disagree because there are 3 who are imports? When the Kings need a gun import if Crosswhite quits not a guy from SEABL? Nice.

Reply #424989 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Quote:
"Would they start Ogilvy C and get a import pf/sf and go with

C Ogilvy
PF Import
SF Hill
SG Madgen (When returns from injury)
PG Sanders

Bench

C Garlepp
Pf ?
Sf Harvey
SG White
PG ?

Wouldnt be too bad, but obviously Crossy a big loss one of the best C's in the league imo."

Heal has said he expects Hills to play at PF so I see Harvey playing the starting SF which would be OK with an import PF who could also cover the SF spot & Hill likewise covering both roles. That leave a backup SF/SG & backup PG to be found locally. It's not an ideal squad but Crosswhite leaves a big hole to fill.

Reply #425006 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

With Crosswhite leaving, surely we'd want an import PF that could help cover the 5 instead of the other way? I know with Madgen out it leaves us without some scoring punch, but long term, Crosswhite is the bigger hole to fill, surely? Otherwise it's just AJ and Garlepp to fill that position...

Reply #425009 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754