Moneyballer
Years ago

Ervin, DeLeon or other

What is your preference of our point guard this year. I woul like a fresh face IMO.

Topic #32011 | Report this topic

Observer  
Years ago

Ervin and a fresh face SG,someone who can score play like trimming ham.
Fresh face will see bums on seats.

Reply #424811 | Report this post

Sixersfan  
Years ago

Ervin over DeLeon but both have downsides to them.

Reply #424815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other

Reply #424816 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Ervin and Winston

Reply #424817 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Craig Winder would be great for you guys. Would have a definite role (wouldn't step on toes) at SG; and the way Wright coaches, would be very effective. Will bring the energy and enthusiasm when probably no one else on the roster will. Won't ask for near the money the other two will.

Reply #424818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin

Reply #424823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winder lol

We need to spend some money on the PG spot.

I'd prefer Ervin but would take Deleon.

After so many failed gambles we need a known commodity this time.

Reply #424825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For those with short memories.

Craig Winder's NBL stats:

10.1ppg @ 35% (16% 3p), 4.1rpg, 2.8apg, 2.8topg

Reply #424829 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Winder was played out of position and I don't think we saw his best. Could be a good X-factor option for the cheaper spot perhaps.

Reply #424830 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'd prefer a taller PG.

Reply #424838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea Winder would have been better as a sg/sf, wouldnt mind him in the cheap import spot, but likely to be considered too small to play sf so may not get a look in, but hey if he is in Australia on Holidays and willing to trial/train and be considered for the cheap import spot he would be worth a look, a decent NBL player imo, he may also be less than 10 points which could be of advantage, but given we have 20 points for 2 spots, points dont seem an issue at this stage.

Reply #424846 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

under marty clarke the imports played a role to compliment a team... as stated by the GM last night at the forum... he never wanted to pick imports who were fancy or the go to guy... Dean even stated that diamon simpson during his time under marty was encouraged to play within his limits, had they team revolved around diamon would have dominated the league...

under wright i believe we will have a defensive motivated club where offensive is more th style of smyth... if its open take it... and just play basketball on offensive... which with the calibre of players we have should work very well and be exciting style of play...

the reason they are looking at earvin and deleon is they know what they are getting... as opposed to an unknown whom could produce ANYTHING...

Reply #424851 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Winder tried to be a hero when he was here instead of being a team player. As a result, he forced up a lot of shots and hence why such a poor shooting percentage. No way should they get him back.

Reply #424857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that what he Said Grover??

under marty clarke the imports played a role to compliment a team... as stated by the GM last night at the forum... he never wanted to pick imports who were fancy or the go to guy... Dean even stated that diamon simpson during his time under marty was encouraged to play within his limits, had they team revolved around diamon would have dominated the league...

Reply #424858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not saying we should definatly get Winder, but Winder playing sg and used properly would be a decent import and is a some what known quantity and if he wants to be in Adelaide/Australia to live thats also a bonus. He averaged ok stats playing out of position, lets say he could be atleast 10% better playing sg, and also take into account that he would be taking a low salary gig if he was offered the 36ers 2nd import spot.

I also dont think he would be a superstar, but assuming we only have around min salary for the 2nd import spot, who are we going to get thats going to be guaranteed to be better? I think guys like Winder, CJ would be decent pick ups to NBL clubs in these cheap import spots.

Personally i think the 36ers need someone a little bigger than Winder to play sf and split minutes with Creek so probably wouldnt sign Winder on that basis, but he would be a decent option for a cheap import around the league and he was athletic and strong so if the 36ers are willing to risk it he could play back up sf mins ok imo (or atleast share them with Petrie, Anthony with Creek playing say 25+ mins), but yea would prefer a 6'5 or bigger sf.

Reply #424859 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

yes dean said something along those lines... dont quote he said too all night kept saying dont quote me... lol

marty was a strutures coach not a flair and style coach..

Reply #424864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately that would explain our position on the ladder over the last few years. Pretty obvious that you need good quality imports that can score to be successful in the nbl

Reply #424876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin or someone else. Do not want Deleon. Also just as a response to an earlier post. We surely wouldn't get a Ervin type and then another SG. Would we? We need a 3.

Reply #424895 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

With Ervin you have to ask yourself whether he is worth the near 200k he will be asking for. He is a great, proven player in this league, that is not in dispute, and he can win games by himself with little support, but he will be asking for near-double what someone like Deleon or Conor Henry is, to use two examples of import PGs from last year.

Not sure if that fits in Adelaide.

Probably better off going for someone less heralded in the pass-first mould, and then augmenting that with another mid priced import wing, of which there are plenty on the international market.

Between Gibbo, Peach, Johnson, Schensch, Cadee, you're going to have no problems getting the ball in the hoop. Not sure if Ervin fills a need, especially at that price.

Reply #424911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, love Ervin but not worth breaking the bank for,

I reckon Chris Warren would be an ok option for the import pg spot, a good shooter/scorer and would work well next to Gibson and a bit more in control than Deleon, so wouldnt mind getting him back. Was great to watch when he got going and didnt seem to have a big personality so would fit in easily.

I'd start with offering Ervin what we can afford, say its 150k, if thats not enough, we have to move on, i reckon we could get someone decent without spending any more, Deleon or C.Warren would be affordable for that wouldnt they?

Reply #424930 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Deleon or Warren could be had for well under 150k, you would assume. I'd be going for someone of that calibre and spending the money saved from not going after Gary on a solid wing. The australian contingent is strong enough at the Sixers, especially now with a professional-level coach, to compete without the offensive load being carried by someone like Ervin.

Reply #424939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Mick,

It seems like Deleon is the front runner, would Joey look at Chris Warren? I reckon he would almost be better.

Reply #424940 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

so you build the Gold Coast Blaze Version2 so you can make the playoffs instead of winning them?

Reply #424941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well making the playoffs is a great effort compared to recent 36ers teams, so i would be happy with that next season, but i think you will find we may not be that far off the mark depending on Perths imports and if Cedric returns to NZ or how good his replacement is.

I guess a very similar position to the Blaze a couple of years ago, a bit of luck could land in the Grand Final, but you gotta crawl before you walk generally so would be happy to make the playoffs next season, try and improve a bit then have a real run at the title, but none of this 3 year plan stuff though, should be straight in the playoffs and doing our best to contend next season.

Alot will depend on the quality of our imports imo, if we get the next Brooks/Mee type combo would be right up there to win it all, an average combo should see us in the playoffs, a bad combo which i think is unlikely we may struggle.

Reply #424948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knock 70k of your 200k mick and your in the ball park. Ervin wants to come here and we want him but his asking price of 130k doesnt work within the 36ers budget.

Reply #424966 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Warren was good then teams found his weakness.
Winder stared off good but he is 6'2 is too short ,we need a swing man same as creek 6'5. 6'6 mould,don't want an American import recycled in our team.we need a strong point guard like Ervin who can get ball down the court not only to shoot the clutch but to feed the talls.ervins assists came from feeding Neville at the crocs.

Reply #425103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Winder was only 6'0".

Reply #425180 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No way Ervin is only asking for 130k in the NBL. He'd be asking for 150k at least.

Reply #425351 | Report this post

UNCLE JIMMY  
Years ago

6ERS are still nowhere near the likes of Breakers, Perth and the Kings.

Reply #426252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

uncle jimmy must be on school holidays

Reply #426267 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754