Jackson
Years ago

Playing through a rolled ankle?

I rolled my ankle just over a week ago and it is still sore at times to walk on, but not excruciating. I have a game this weekend and am not sure whether I should train and play on it. Is it better to rest an injury such as this to prevent anymore damage?

I hate sitting out too long with injuries but I can't deny that it is still sore. I'm trying to avoid a physio as I am really tight on money at the moment but the physio would probably say sit out another week too yeah?

Topic #32015 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

ICE it lots if you havn't done already

there is also a gel called feldine avalible over the counter at chemist which helps with rapit healing of soft tissue 3 times a day

heat pack after dinner each night and do some stretches on the leg and ankle

should be good to go in a few days

Reply #424879 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Seriously bud, if you don't have the money go to hospital and get a medical professional to look at it before you re injur it and have to take 3 weeks or more off!

Reply #424881 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I would take more time off to let it heal properly if you don't it is possible it will be more susceptible to getting injured again. Think about the future not just your next basketball game.

Reply #424889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like if you hae issues with pain and walking playing isn't really adviseable.
If you must play, tape it. rest is a good thing.

Reply #424891 | Report this post

Rhea 82  
Years ago

I've had heaps of experience with rolled ankles.
If you roll it bad enough that it swells right up, has bruising and is painful to walk on/ touch, physios are always going to say at least 6 weeks is optimum.

If you need to play on it (and i mean NEED) after 2 weeks you can just tape it up and try, you can't do much further damage but you will definitely delay the time until it will be fully healed. In my experience you can double or triple it.

I had to play in finals a couple of years ago and I rushed back after about 2 weeks and firstly I found that I had no power off that foot. Even though I felt no direct pain from running around my body wouldn't really allow me to take off from the injured foot. It also made my calf seize up (i assume it was compensating for the lack of movement) and in the end I was severely hampered and pretty useless. It took 6 months for me to get that explosive power back and I would say it has never got back to where it was....

So i would say if you can afford to, take as much time as you can handle off. It's way better in the long run. Otherwise tape it up, try have a run and if you actually feel like you can play (and you need to) you can try. Just remember to do RICERS after the game like you would if you just injured it.

But summarising...If you can- as much rest as possible til it feels like 85% of perfect

Reply #424893 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Anon 879....you never ever put HEAT on a soft tissue injury. Never.

Reply #424923 | Report this post

If you are short on cash for the physio, try these guys! They are really good and extremely affordable. They have helped me immensely in helping me recover from my recent ankle inversion injury :)

http://www.unisa.edu.au/Health-Sciences/Services/Health-clinics/Physiotherapy-Clinic/

Reply #424976 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

Walk it off princess

Reply #424981 | Report this post

all hail beer  
Years ago

keep off anti inflammatories early - they increase bleeding.

compression bandage

ICER - ice buckets and physio long term.

Reply #424983 | Report this post

all hail beer  
Years ago

+1 sebastian - increases blood flow and bruising.

Reply #424984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People forget and probably never know.Most people that play sport at a certain level would all know about RICER. Most don't know about NO HARM.
After a semi serious injury as this case appears it stands for NO HEAT ie heat packs or lotions, NO ALCOHOL stay off the P!ss, NO RUNNING, and NO Massage.
How this equates to someone who wants to play is up to themselves.
Walk it off princess is utter crap.

Reply #424986 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Hey Jackson, assuming you play for a club/association at CABL level wouldn't you have insurance as part of your registration? Possibly speak with your club and let them know you have no cash, and request they support you through this injury and you can repay them once the insurance settles?

I now my association supported a player last year who needed some work done, and he repaid us upon settling his insurance (1 million light years later).

If you are a social/domestic player with no form of support, shit out of luck bud.

Save those pennies and get down to the physio when you can mate.

Reply #424991 | Report this post

agrid  
Years ago

Close your eyes and see how long you can balance on it. If you can make a minute, tape it and go play.

Reply #424992 | Report this post

vodka41  
Years ago

if your ankle is still swollen,make a poltis by blending together 2 peeled onions and 1 cup of salt.
it should cling together, keep adding salt to get the right consistancy, then wrap it around your ankle, then glad wrap , then old towels, sleep on it over night, next day you should be able to underwrap it, and tape it up to be able to play, good luck.

Reply #425135 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:00 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754