Hooked
Years ago

Brooklyn Boston Trade

Big Trade for Brooklyn fans, although losing the cult figure in Reggie evans.. But glad to be rid of Gerald wallace.

Not sure if the aging bodies are worth it?
How many years has KG got left?

Brooklyn has agreed to send three first-round picks (2014, '16 and '18) along with Kris Humphries' expiring contract, Gerald Wallace, Tornike Shengelia, Reggie Evans and a sign-and-traded Keith Bogans to the Celtics for Pierce, Garnett and Terry. By agreeing to add Terry to the trade, sources said, Brooklyn alleviated some of Boston's concerns about absorbing the remaining three years, $30 million on Wallace's contract.

Topic #32021 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Deron Williams
Joe Johnson
Paul Pierce
Kevin Garnett
Brook Lopez

Bench: Terry, Marshon Brooks, Andray Blatche (will they able to get him back?)

Crazy team. Brooklyn v Miami in the east finals would be huge.

Bit of a shame that they went out and hired Kidd now.
Not saying he can't do something with that team. But something tells me a rookie coach like Kidd can't win a title in his first year with such overwhelming talent (trying to gel the team would be tough)

Reply #425112 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Should have got an experienced coach in.

This team probably only has 1 year together. That's one year to win.

Can't afford to have 'coaching mistakes' or coaching learning curves.

Reply #425113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree. They needed to make some changes but this seems to totally clash with hiring Kidd. Win-now player movement but hiring a rookie coach.

Reply #425115 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

I was about to say the same as anon.. SO you have this vet team and you have a rookie coach?? I can see some clashes coming.

Reply #425116 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Defence is now a little weaker. It wasn't as outstanding last season as people would think either, it was just that they played at a slow pace. Have a look at their adjusted points allowed, I'm sure it wouldn't be too flattering. Wallace was bigger for them than people thought but definitely not value for money. Very good offensive roster though. I'd be campaigning to get Evans back however. They really really need him.

Reply #425119 | Report this post

Hooked  
Years ago

hopefully lawrence frank and the experienced assistants take charge over the personalities... and kidd will keep dwill on the tight leash.

Reply #425121 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

With the leaders in Garnett and Pierce, Kids will actually be helped out. It's always been about winning for those two, especially considering they are on their last legs.

Reply #425123 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Kidd*

Reply #425124 | Report this post

Hooked  
Years ago

agree stats... def need to keep reggie, need good back up bigs, the season is a long one!

Reply #425133 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Good trade for both teams; I hate to see Pierce go, much more so than Garnett because he has been at the Celtics his whole career and I would have liked to see him finish there, but I understand the thinking. Stock draft picks, suck complete balls next year and hope to get Andrew Wiggins in the draft (will it be 97 all over again with Duncan, god I hope not)

Reply #425137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

R.I.P Boston, so shattered in everything they did tonight. Will take a while to get my head around it. Hated the trade, the trade up for no reason and then the draft. AH

Reply #425147 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

Um Celtic Green. You might want to check who KG
played with before Boston. A little something called KG/ Marbury show at
Minny!

Reply #425149 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Chill scoot, it's just a dangling modifier (I think). He clearly means Pierce.

On a side note, poor Crash, losing is all he's ever known.

Reply #425152 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Sorry, forgot to put a comma in their. Was talking about Pierce being a Celtic his whole career not Garnett (hence why it hurts more to see Pierce go).
I am excited about the last 2 draft picks. DWill and Lopez are the only guys that are below 30 on this team that are any good (maybe slide Marshon Brooks in there depending on how he develops). I can definitely see Brooklyn sliding back in to the lottery in 2 years time when Pierce/Garnett retire and Joe Johnson is 33 years old. The 2018 pick in particular I think could turn out great.

Reply #425158 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Agree with u Celtic Green on all counts. I'm now on Wiggins watch (and to a lesser extent, Green and Sullinger watch).

Reply #425171 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

I do worry that we seem to have a lot of frontcourt guys that don't have much athleticism (Sullinger, Olynyk, Bass). I hope they go the truly sucky route myself and get rid of Bass and anyone else they can to go for a great high pick next season. With Rondo going to be out most of the year you might as well let the young guys learn (Sullinger, Bradley, Olynyk) with a ton of minutes/mistakes

Reply #425175 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

So celtics starters, when fully fit

PG- Rondo
SG- Bradley
SF- Green
PF- Bass
C- Sullinger

That is actually a decent line-up when fully fit. Bench will be thin though!!

Reply #425185 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

They can't play Bass and Sullinger together; they are both slightly smallish (height wise) PF's with little in the way of hops. They got killed last season if I remember correctly whenever they played that combination.

Reply #425201 | Report this post

Celticgreen  
Years ago

The Wallace contract is the biggest problem here, how will they get out of that one?

Reply #425204 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

And the nets picks will be like in the early/mid twenty range so not really great. Now they are talking about maybe they drop rondo. My problem watching the team is who is going to get the rebounds and score? Rondo will have to be very aggressive and jeff can't fade out of games. I guess this is the plan, you really suck this year get a high pick and maybe you can use the nets pick to move up a bit and get a early teens pick in 2014.

Reply #425216 | Report this post

dipierdominico  
Years ago

Boston, clear losers in this trade

Reply #425218 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Yes but they wanted to be the losers; they wanted draft picks in the future. I agree the Wallace thing is not great but realistically who could they trade Garnett to (no trade clause) that would pay a decent price for a 37 and a 35 year old player?
The team was not going to challenge for the title; the only reason Danny Ainge did not do this a year ago was because this draft class was so weak.
And the Nets picks wont all be in the 20's, in 4 years time PP and Garnett are retired, Joe Johnson probably is or at the best is like and 8th man and they only have Lopez and Williams (DWill will be 33 by then) and have not had any draft picks to rebuild. They basically have next year to try and win the title and then the window is shut, and the Celtics got 3 first round draft choices out of it. I think it was a great trade for Boston myself

Reply #425228 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Boston lose out on this trade until we see what the draft picks mean for them

Reply #425250 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Boston lose out on this trade until we see what the draft picks mean for them

Reply #425251 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Danny Ainge is laughing at this one. Why does anyone not see what Brooklyn gave up here? Ainge is just lucky he found a sucker as big as Billy King to do business with.

Reply #425299 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

The Celtics are now getting Marshon Brooks instead of Reggie Evans; I think this is better for both teams as the Nets don't need scoring and Boston does not need an aging rebounder

Reply #425316 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

With KG able to nix any trade he didn't like, I think this was about as good a trade as Ainge was going to get.

I also think there is a fair chance that by 2018 the Nets will be rebuilding and may hand the Celtics a pretty high pick.

From Brooklyn's point of view, this is a massive gamble. Realistically its win or bust next season. After that Pierce is a FA and I would be shocked if KG doesn't retire.

Then the Nets will be left with D-Will, Johnson and Brooks as their core, but those three will cost them about $58mill in 2014-15, so they are basically capped out. With only a 1st round pick every other year and vet minimum contracts to fill out their roster, they are going to struggle to find enough quality role players to put them over the top.

I hope the Celtics keep Rondo, Green and Sullinger, but stretch Rondo's return from knee surgery out until after the all-star break. That should be enough to ensure they finish in the bottom 8 or so.

Reply #425338 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Agree with you Beantown; I hope Rondo is kept on 'minute watch' by the coach when he does come back

Reply #425367 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:34 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754