Fred
Years ago

Linkbait: NBL season in danger of being scrapped

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-season-in-danger-of-being-scrapped-20130628-2p2wq.html

Topic #32023 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs say it's going ahead.

Reply #425196 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

If the season is scrapped, I am not sure how the league will get back off its feet!

Reply #425198 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

A misleading thread title to say the least.

Reply #425206 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Yes, a 'might be' or 'could be' would have helped the objectivity of the title

Reply #425209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right now there is every chance that the NBL will go ahead. There is most definitely a chance that it won't go ahead as well. The odds I don't know but if indeed it does go ahead expect significant changes.

Reply #425210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fact or rumour?

Reply #425214 | Report this post

dipierdominico  
Years ago

We are a top ten basketball nation yet our national league is a shambles. We are heading for semi pro league at this rate. Even more of our best talent will head overseas

Reply #425222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do clubs then ask us to by memberships? If they don't no exactly what's going on? Love the nbl but it is run pathetic any every sense! And they charge how much they want for a product that's not even worth half of what we pay for memberships.

Reply #425236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Final decision should be by the end of next week. Every chance it may go ahead but as I said earlier there is definite possibility it may not go ahead.
Why clubs signed players and offering memberships is beyond me. Why players even signed is equally mystifying. Sign by all means but make sure that if there is no NBL you will receive a full payout even if the club folds to ensure that you haven't sat around and missed other chances elsewhere.Some of the players signed wouldnt get a job anywhere else either.

Reply #425241 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

more crud from KK trying to be the heroine when in fact she has done nothing for the sport as yet, oh except getting WNBL players access to the Virgin Lounge. Massive get that one.

Reply #425242 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

KK is afraid she'll look very stupid when the NBL is successful. NBL teams themselves & central NBL money was being used to pay for WNBL & every other program being run out of that office.

Reply #425243 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

+1 Mick KK looking at a large deficiency of income now that BA cant siphon cash out of the NBL

Reply #425244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is a disgrace very poorly run

Reply #425255 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Every club I've spoken to (which is all apart from one) are under the impression that the season is going ahead and these details are just a mere formality.

Is there a chance the season won't go ahead? Sure there's a chance. But there's more of a chance it will go ahead. So I wouldn't worry too much at this stage.

However - If it doesn't go ahead, who wants to start a rebel league with me???

Whatever happened with Slamball anyway?

Reply #425257 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

YouknowMe, Why did you need to make that comment?

This forum is better than the other forum for a reason, and that is the standard of debate is generally better.

Why dive off into some sexist crass comment?

Reply #425279 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Any clue as to who you haven't spoken to on this matter Nat?

Reply #425280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This league is turning into more of a joke as the years go by

Reply #425281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the NBL is poorly run that is why the clubs are breaking away.
Yes some of the clubs are struggling, again that is why the clubs are breaking away
Yes all the clubs have been financially restricted by being under BA.
BA and KK have one motivation and that is public appearance and covering their arse

Reply #425287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be an idea to talk to the potential new owners Na, those that are driving it. It's seems that despite reassurances what the NBL clubs may think is a long way from the truth. There is no formal TV coverage in place yet either. That final meeting is still yet to occur. If it does go ahead, it will be a dramatic change from the former setup.

Reply #425289 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Cochrane wouldn't be putting his name to something if it did have legs

Reply #425290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

289 you are not talking to the right people

Reply #425291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the TV deal be the same as previous seasons with Ten?

Or is FOXTEL a possibility?

Reply #425294 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I apologise 'HO' (which is an unfortunate name given the point you are making) I guess its just my way of saying I think shes pretty hot (especially with long hair) But she hasnt actually seemed to have changed much

Reply #425296 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I probably agree YouknowMe, but I think the CEO of BA is a pretty powerless job. You can be very very good at what you do, but the external and environmental factors ranged against you make it extremely difficult to make a difference.

Reply #425300 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

HO thats rubbish , good leadership finds away regardless of the circumstances

Reply #425302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can assure you I am talking to the right people unequivically. If the NBL contines and it more than likely will it wont be anything the same as it previously was. new directions new ownerhip group with different expectaions and outcomes. The TV deal is not yet done as I said earlier.

Reply #425305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti on the latest developments:

All eight clubs have signed the demerger agreement, significant investment has been generated and it is very much business as usual.

Give it about one week-to-10 days and expect the NBL to come bursting back to life.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/apocalypse-now-or-business-as-usual/

Reply #425348 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz,

Sorry i don't agree. Its the same as the sentiment often expressed here that we need successful business people running the clubs and the league, and that this will lead to success in turn.

I've made the point before that successful business people have been running clubs (and to some extend the league) for a long long time and have consistently failed.

John Rymarz had an extraordinarily successful career before he took over the league.. he was hailed by many.

Leonidas might have held the Persians back with limited resources for a long time but in the end he still lost.

Its a lovely sentiment to say "good leadership" will get it done, but the reality is in lots of businesses, in lots of business sectors, organisations fails in spite of what many people would regard as good leadership.

Sometimes, the odds are so stacked against you, that you just cannot win - however good you are. Just look at what has happened to the once booming video rental industry.

I am not saying KK is doing a great job, and I am not saying the situation is hopeless, but what is basketball to do, keep sacking people every 3 months till they find the "good leader" they need?

Reply #425359 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah the fact is that sports administration not exactly like running business in the "real world".

Sometimes a guy with little business knowledge but passion for the game will prosper, sometimes their lack of brass tacks business know-how will leave them exposed.

Sometimes a guy with a succesful business career will struggle to come to terms with the restrictions involved with sports admin and the accountability of being in the public eye under the constant media cycle, other times he will cut through all the basketball inside-club wankfest bullshit and thrive with little sports knowledge.

It's more like running a business in a communist country than anything an Aussie businessman would be exposed to normally, with a bit of politics thrown in. Or maybe more like hitting pinatas in the dark.

The problem with Australian ball at the moment is we have lots of passionate basketball people with no business or marketing sense whatsoever involved who are just killing the brand, and then on the other hand you have business people with no basketball sense who are pissing off the purist basketball fans, to the point where no one is happy. Then both of these two types of people are utterly failing to come together for the good of the sport and you end up with this watered down decision by committee crap. You really need a great leader. One man or woman with a vision that can make decisions from the top and hold everyone accountable down the tree. The NBA didn't get where they are today through white papers or committee decisions, they got there because David Stern had a sole vision for the sport and he did everything he could to realise it (Michael Jordan didn't hurt either). The vision has to have a wider scope. Stern had a vision for not only how the game was to be marketed, but how the business was to be run and then all the way down to how the game was going to be played on the court. They all tie together. If you want to market an exciting game you better make sure that the rules are in place for the game to actually be exciting on the court. It's a holistic approach.

The biggest hole right now, aside from the ongoing demerger purgatory, is the PR & marketing disaster. It's been so bad for so long, and it's so easy to do right, but I'd go so far as to say the NBL's brand is damaged beyond repair in the eyes of the general public for the immediate future at least.

The average Joe on the street either doesn't even know the NBL exists or if they do they think it is too passe for them to be seen following.

Reply #425372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget what Boti and Nat say. here is the latest.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/tigers-confident-of-a-start-20130629-2p487.html
"The demerger of the league, in which clubs had voted to no longer be run by BA, was due to be rubber-stamped on Sunday.However, a broadcast rights deal has yet to be confirmed with the Ten Network, there have been no announcements about a board or executive structure, and other sponsorship deals remain unclear, prompting BA to extend the deadline to July 19."

The 10 deal hasn't been done yet and a meeting will be held next week to hopefully lock that away. 10 are wanting the NBL season to be over a shorter period of time.
With Slepoy heading it up, the changes in direction are concerning for many clubs hence the delay. Who will oversee it all is another interesting question as well.

Reply #425373 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I also think there are many old-hat basketball minds involved that are so far removed from what basketball is today that they are just as useful as someone with no basketball knowledge whatsoever who bring other skills to the table. The game has passed lots of people by and they're clinging onto driftwood at this point.

Reply #425374 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Mick, You have made a whole series of statements there but I actually do not think we have enough "basketball people" involved with the administration of the game.

Take a look at BA. Haynes and Landon have gone, along with Sengstock.

There is no one in senior management (AFAIK) now with a long term basketball background.

The NBL has Chuck but he is, and has always been, involved with the administration of the NBL, not basketball per se.

The board, quite frighteningly, has one "basketball" person involved - Drew, and that is the frightening bit!

Reply #425377 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

My point was that you need basketball-minded folk, but they can't be so out of touch with the game that their input is irrelevant to the point where it's a zero sum game and you're better off with someone with no basketball knowledge whatsoever. My bigger point is that reforms have to be led under a sole leader with a vision, no more wishy washy decision by committee stuff where it's a compromise to the point where no one is happy.

An aside: what's the bet that Drewy's input would be "Gee, that sounds great guys! Absolutely love it!!!" to every proposal ever tabled to the board...

Reply #425381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chuck is still employed by BA.

Reply #425383 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

+1 Mick

every successful sport is run by a dictatorship approach. Big thinking is needed not timid rats and mice approach. leadership id about being bold in the face of adversity

some sports that use the dictatorship model

AFL
F1
V8's
Olympics (are the biggest dictatorship of them all)
FIFA
NBA

and so on and so

NBL needs a dictatorship that is independent of the clubs

Reply #425385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ill take Nat and Boti over Pierik every day.

Reply #425397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

huh?

Reply #425407 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

In the articles it says that if the clubs fail to complete the de-merger BA will take over and a $250,000 bank guarantee will have to be provided. THIS IS HOW MUCH THE BLAZE PROVIDED WHEN THEY WENT BROKE BUT BA DIDN'T ACCEPT BUT NOW THEY DO! What a joke.

Reply #425415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this an extra $250K, over and above their $1mill guarantee?
Someone also posted that apparently there were a number of clubs that were years behind in their payments to BA. How is that possible?

Reply #425443 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Is that how much the Blaze actually provided, or how much they pretended they could provide with their mystery backer who wanted to provide no details whatsoever about how he was funding the club?

Reply #425444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The $1 million guarantee died long ago.

Reply #425448 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

It was reported hat they provided $250,000.

Reply #425465 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754