paul
Years ago

Stankovic Cup

Two good wins in two nights for the Aussies, beating a decent Argentina team 62-59 on Thursday and then topping China 64-59 tonight.

Game report from Argentina game is here: http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2963&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=79ba2aaaf6

Top scorers have been Bairstow, Broekhoff and Steindl, while Norton has been a real sparkplug and Cadee very good in tight situations. Owen Odigie's defence has been unbelievable and he even hit a triple against China - he has been as important as anyone.

Most of the players have contributed pretty well though, 10 players being used (not Blanchfield or Iggy) and I think all have got on the scoresheet both nights.

Topic #32024 | Report this topic

rjd  
Years ago

I am not sure if I am allowed to link to other forums, but while searching for info about the Stankovic Cup I discovered a thread with links to video replays of the game versus Argentina: http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?23857-2013-9th-Stankovic-Continental-Champions-Cup

It appears the most recent win was against China's B team.

Reply #425235 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Another good win tonight over Puerto Rico, 72-68. Led by 16 early in the last before PR made one of their trademark runs and tied it away, but Cadee once again did the trick down the stretch.

Cadee, Bairstow and Mitch Young were our best, Steindl got hot in the third to blow the game open, Norton and Odigie continue playing super D, as does the team for the most part.

Reply #425311 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I saw a video of there first game, fairly impressive considering this is just Australias Uni team playing against national teams and B teams.

What I also have to add is, has stankovic cup gone down in the past few years now everyone is sending B squads or was it always like this?

Reply #425312 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Another good win by the Aussie WUG team at the Stankovic Cup, thrashing Germany 79-64.

Clint Steindl was on fire with 20 points, while big Matt Andronicos and Mitch Young from Cairns both had really good games inside to be close to double-doubles.

Another player who has been showing some good signs is Andrija Dumovic, who had 9 points tonight. If Croswhite does retire the Kings could do worse than sign this kid to back up Ogilvy.

There are game reports from earlier games linked below, Cadee and Bairstow were the best. Pleasing thing tonight is both were in foul trouble and the team didnt miss a beat.

v China: http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2966&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=f04137d8df

v Puerto Rico: http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2969&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=2418f8504c

Reply #425423 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thanks for the updates Paul.

Reply #425434 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No worries LC, I have been really impressed watching this team play, have been much better than I thought, their defence has been outstanding.

The final game is Tues night at 9:30pm and there will be streams from www.streamhunter.eu.

Reply #425452 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Aussies finished off the Stankovic in style beating Nigeria 76-61 with Bairstow and Ellis top-scoring. Another great defensive effort in a tourny where they didnt give up more than 68 in any game.

Blanchfield played his first game tonight and looked good, Bairstow, Steindl, Ellis and Odigie also having good games.

Realistically though, Lemanis has them playing great team ball with everyone contributing at both ends. Have been very impressed and am interested to see how they go at the Uni Games.

FWIW the best five in this tourny were Bairstow, Young, Broekhoff, Steindl and Cadee who looked every bit a quality PG.

Reply #425821 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good effort IMO.

Reply #425868 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

I think the words Quality Point guard and Cadee made me spew a little bit in my mouth.
Very good effort by the boys but we have it was against very average competition.

Reply #425874 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

It's hard to know the level of competition in this tournament, but the reality is that any wins are good, especially for what is essentially a development program. Great effort from the guys, Hopefully they can ride a good wave of confidence into the World Uni Games and do well there too.

Reply #425875 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re quality, from what I could tell watching online:

Argentina were fielding three players from their best 12 with a group of fringe guys; China had their second team; Germany their uni games team; Nigeria two Olympians and some other guys who will challenge for a spot at the Afrobasket, Puerto Rico I didnt know much about.

Given our team was made up of college players and NBL bench guys I think it has been a really good effort to beat those opponents and go 5-0.

Reply #425884 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Lol. perhaps Cadee looked like a quality point guard but he isnt one!

Reply #425890 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:07 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754