Benno
Years ago

Dellavedova to do Summer League with Orlando Magic

As a huge magic and Delly fan i was ecstatic to wake up and see this!! Great spot for delly to be as magic are really in need of a pass first point guard!

Topic #32027 | Report this topic

Rav  
Years ago

That is great news.
He might be in with a shot.
The magic's current point guards are terrible.
Even though they are paid as if they are future all stars.
Jameer Nelson - $8.6m
Beno Udrih - $7.4

Reply #425245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to him he has a good chance. Anyone know if Motum is doing summer league?

Reply #425246 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

umm Jameer Nelson has been pretty decent over his career for the Magic and isn't exactly a bum.

Reply #425248 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

With Jacques being an old Spurs point guard and assistant coach Delly has as much chance here as anywhere.

Reply #425249 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

udrih is a free agent and i doubt the magic sign him.

Reply #425253 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good news. He was always going to get a SL gig IMO.

Reply #425260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly has a shot at backup won't command big money

Reply #425263 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Yeah but even small NBA money is well and truly enough... Oh he will only be on half a mill? Damn I dont know how he will get by, he might have to get newstart allowance as well! lol. I hope he does get the spot.

Reply #425269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After hearing a few Kiwis express their delight not only in Steven Adams' drafting but Dellavedova's missing out, there's a part of me that wants Delly to be drafted by OKC, work his way into their rotation, and subsequently form a great pick and role relationship with Adams during the NBA season, just to disconcert the triumphalism of some of the Kiwi fans.

In all seriousness though that's quite unlikely so I hope he just does well at the Summer League and continues to impress and build on his strong form in the workouts.

Reply #425272 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

LOL. Well the New Zealanders can take this battle. Yes, Adams got drafted and Delly didnt... jolly good! But this will be the last time they make it to a World Championship OR olympics so marinate on that for a minute. Soon as it becomes an elimination qualifier China and New Zealand will never again know what it feels like to play in a major tournament! Yes you have 1 NBA standard center (if he can called that) how many do we have? lol... our like 6th best center has NBA experience.

Reply #425276 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

I don't think Delly is worried about NBA money yet, he just wants a crack to make a list in some form.

Reply #425285 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"After hearing a few Kiwis express their delight not only in Steven Adams' drafting but Dellavedova's missing out"

do share who posted that opinion that isn't someone just Trolling you for a reaction.

"LOL. Well the New Zealanders can take this battle. Yes, Adams got drafted and Delly didnt... jolly good! But this will be the last time they make it to a World Championship OR olympics so marinate on that for a minute. Soon as it becomes an elimination qualifier China and New Zealand will never again know what it feels like to play in a major tournament! Yes you have 1 NBA standard center (if he can called that) how many do we have? lol... our like 6th best center has NBA experience."

YouKnowMe, you're really quite upset about all this aren't you?

Reply #425288 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Lol, I am mildly annoyed... U dont wanna see me quite upset :P

Reply #425295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro to be fair they weren't being dead serious when they were saying it, just engaging in some trans-Tasman ribbing. In their defense they probably grow tired of the excessive amount of St Mary's games and "Aussies Abroad" specials espn broadcasts into NZ.

I just thought the notion of them wanting to peacefully bask in the patriotic glory of watching Steven Adams play but having to continue to put up with Dellavedova as well kinda funny

Reply #425298 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd rather have Delly as my starting PG than Jameer Nelson. Even in the NBA.

Reply #425301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussies vs Kiwis is always a great rivalry. Bring it on !

Reply #425304 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Will ESPN be televising the Summer Leagues games this year?

Reply #425306 | Report this post

loli  
Years ago

Is the bloke they picked up at number 2 in the draft Oladipo a PG? with jameer nelson and the other little guys they have is Delly really a chance?

Reply #425323 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Oladipo is a wing player, more known for his defence.

Side Note - Does anyone know if Brock Motum got a summer league invite?

Reply #425327 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

havent heard anything on motum which is worrying, considering he had what 12 workouts? Hopefully he finds a team willing to take him on, if so we should find out in the next 2 to 3 days

Reply #425358 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Motum musn't have worked out well. Didn't hear any noise about his workouts anywhere.

Reply #425365 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Video of Brock Motums pre Draft workout with the Wizards along with No 22 draft pick Mason Plumlee and undrafted Karron Johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPx0mHoD9KY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T22X6m4fgh4

Reply #425384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly said on twitter this morning he's playing summer league with Cavs now ...

Anyone know anything about Ingles and summer league ? He's finished with Barca now so perhaps now or never

Reply #425433 | Report this post

AussieBaller  
Years ago

There are usually 2 Summer Leagues, one in Orlando and 1 in Las Vegas.
So he is probably playing in both.

Reply #425435 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Yeah thats seems correct Aussieballer,

Orlando Pro Summer League July 7th-july 12th featuring ten teams

NBA Summer League in Las Vegas July 12th-July 22nd Featuring 22 teams.

Reply #425437 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Once again well done to dell, smart move both magic and cavs need back up guards

Reply #425439 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson is playing with the Miami Heat in Orlando and Abercrombie is playing with the Suns in Vegas

Reply #426101 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Delly is not on the Orlando roster, so looks like just Cavs for him this year.

Reply #426102 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think because the Cleveland contract is partially guaranteed, not just a summer league gig, it would be different... Next step after summer league would be training camp...

Reply #426132 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The partially guaranteed contract offers him the chance to play summer league, and then the chance to 'try-out' in September for their training camp.

Reply #426193 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

I think Wookie is correct. The way his dad spoke was that there was something more then a summer league contract. baring no injuries i think it includes training camp which is the next step up from summer league.

Reply #426195 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

"Matthew has signed a partially guaranteed contract,' Dellavedova’s father, Mark, said yesterday.

“What that means is that he’ll play for Cleveland in the Summer League and if he keeps ticking the boxes he’ll stay with Cleveland for their final try-outs in September.

“They could also cut him at any time. The positive is that Matthew has a chance to impress at Summer League."

Reply #426204 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

cheers Vart

Reply #426207 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Which is better then what most free agents on summer league have.
It gives cleveland first dibs on his services. In return Delly gets given a small financial bonus.

It essentially rules out other teams coming and swooping for him after summer league untill cleveland gives them permission.

Reply #426210 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

and delly gets guaranteed playing time!

Reply #426211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles won't be doing Summer League. He's back in Adelaide.

Reply #426213 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754