Pointguard
Years ago

B Brown appears to keen on Celtics gig

http://www.libertyballers.com/2013/6/30/4479080/sixers-coach-brett-brown-boston-celtics-coaching-spurs

Topic #32034 | Report this topic

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Hopefully its a long term deal because they'll be rebuilding for a while.Would be great to see Brown in the head coach role for the celtics, and looking forward to seeing Kelly Olynyk Delly's nemesis from gonzaga make the transition and see what he can do in the NBA.

Reply #425436 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Lots of scouts are saying he's NBA ready but with little upside, but I don't see Olynyk's game translating to the NBA. Way too slow and unathletic.

Reply #425445 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

That's the same thing people said about Dirk Nowitzki.

Reply #425447 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

...and the Olynyk-Dirk comparisons have begun!

Reply #425449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bird..... ;-)

Reply #425450 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Yeah he certainly not athletic and will struggle down low to score and rebound because of his leap and wingspan. his best strengths are how he reads the game and his passing ability. he also has quite a good medium-outside shot. I see him more as a taller Boris Diaw type playmaker/passer but a better shooter.

Reply #425460 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

His body is pretty unusual for a basketball player; a 7 footer with only a 6'9 wingspan. I remember always thinking his handles in college for a 7 footer were very impressive, this certainly explains it. If ever a player was to be tarred with the "T-Rex" tag this is the guy unfortunately. Still if you look at a guy like David Andersen, who as a stretch 4/5 had a few strong showings in the NBA when given opportunities, Olynyk is arguably as good a shooter and probably a more versatile offensive player.

Reply #425463 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah lots not start comparing him to Dirk or Bird... it's not fair on Olynyk or the other two.

Reply #425464 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Tom guggliotta got compared to bird cos he was tall and white and could shoot, that's all you need to be compared to bird.

Reply #425469 | Report this post

WestCoastWildcat  
Years ago

Kukoc comes to mind too.

Reply #425505 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Notes on Dirk predraft

Nowitzki, 19, excelled against top American high school seniors during the Nike Hoop Summit game in San Antonio in March. Playing for the International Junior Select Team, he scored 33 points, made 6 of 12 field goal attempts and 19 of 23 free throws, and had a game-high 14 rebounds. Within weeks, tapes of his stunning performance had circulated through nearly every NBA coach's office. "If you went by that tape alone," says Pacers coach Larry Bird, "you'd think he was the best ever."

"He's like a lot of European players in that he doesn't like contact," says Mavericks assistant Donn Nelson, who helped coach Nowitzki in San Antonio. "He has a lot of work to do, but he's smart and he can handle the ball. He has the kind of potential that leaves you curious."

Reply #425544 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LOL @ the T-Rex nick Jez. I'm gonna run with that this season.

I also think we can safely put away the Dirk Nowitzki comparisons. I had a look at a scouting video and I can't for the life of me understand why Ainge drafted him. I think he'll probably be out of the league as soon as his rookie contract finishes!

Oh well, at least they've got plenty more picks to work with over the next few years!

Not sure what I think of Brown getting the Celtics job. He didn't really seem to get the best out of the Boomers, but I guess he must have learned something about coaching from Pop over the years. If he gets it, I just hope he does a good job of developing the young players.

Reply #425558 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I thought he did a phenomenal job with the boomers. They were the best defensive team in the tournament. They just didn't have anyone who could score. Not really Brown's fault.

Reply #425622 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Agree Mick. Considering our best player wasn't available, to finish in the same place as we did in Beijing was a good result. I still can't help but feel that Brown took way too long to pull the trigger on moving Delly into the starting line-up, a factor that undoubtedly contributed to our slow start.

Reply #425636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BB may be staying as first Asst.

Reply #426146 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754