Mick
Years ago

Crocs sign second import swingman Josh Pace (ATF)

http://andthefoul.net/archives/6588

addresses a need and rules out an import for the starting C spot.

Which leaves...Nevill?

Topic #32046 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Interesting signing. I also wait in anticipation to see who the Crocs Centre is going to be now they need a local big.

Reply #425700 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Where does that leave remaining for Hudson to go to?

Reply #425701 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Taipans would be a perfect fit for Hudson.

Reply #425703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely, especially with Weigh able to play some time in that mobile PF role that Edwards filled last year.

Reply #425705 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Be disappointing if Hudson doesn't return. He could fit into the Taips rotation to free Trig / Loughton up with Young.

Fearne has his poker face on but grins when you ask him who he has signed. He never smiles but when he grins he has something up his sleeve.

PS: New crocs should get into the 13/14 season. beyond that they need a lot of work but there are good people working hard behind the scenes so they have a fighting chance.

Reply #425706 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

What's his game like Mystro? Any comparisons to former/current (A)NBL players? How do you think he will go in the NBL?

On paper it's a good signing in terms of roster fit. Can back up both PC and Blanchfield, which was a big gaping hole last year, and has decent size. Or PC can play the backup role.

It also puts the nail in Mick & Chris Cedar's Crocs coffins, which is a bit sad, if necessary.

Nevill is the only Aussie big with NBL experience available for that starting C spot that I can even think of. You'd have to assume he is their #1 priority now, wouldn't you?

Reply #425709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing, wanted to see Pace play NBL for a while, be interested to see how he goes, i think he will do quite well, could be a real bargain if his form can translate ok.

Are the Crocs looking to go a small line up of Markovic, Crawford, Pace, Blanchfield, Conklin, bit small in the C spot if Conklin plays there but he does seem to be a bit of a banger and guys like Dusty, Ellis, Rolan Roberts have played C at a similar size so could work ok, atleast for moments of the game.

Or does this signing indicate they have Neville commited to the team so didnt need the import C?

A team of

PG: Markovic, Norton
SG: Pace, Djeric
SF: Blanchfield, PC
PF: Conklin, Holmes
C: Neville, Hinder

Looks pretty good to me, with 2 cheap imports who both could do really well imo.

At worse i suppose there team is

PG: Markovic, Norton
SG: PC, Djeric
SF: Pace, ?? Leon Henry
PF: Blanchfield, Holmes
C: Conklin, Hinder

A bit small but could be ok, Blanchfield will be fine at PF against most teams, especially with Holmes off the bench, Conklin is a small C but if he plays hard and isnt afraid of contact could be ok, and this kind of line up would work with the fast paced game plan everyone has been talking about.

Reply #425711 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You would think so. I mentioned on the other forum that Cam Bairstow has been very impressive this international season and has a fair bit of Matt Knight about him, would be a good plan b.

But with these two signings I would think Dennis knows exactly who his centre is, otherwise you'd keep an import spot up your sleeve.

Reply #425712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea Bairstow would be a great signing imo.

Yea id assume the same Paul, will be interesting to see who they get at C, given the imports seem to both be cheap they may have some decent cash left for the C?

Interested to read Pace played for Dennis in NZ, so he must have been a fan and think his game would translate well for NBL he could end up being one of the better all round players in the league. Cant wait to see him play.

Reply #425713 | Report this post

Mimo  
Years ago

Pace zero jumpshot but has a crafty floater and can handle the ball. Leading in scorer in the NZNBL

Reply #425714 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah he's a very smart player from what Im told.

In his last two years in Syracuse he averaged 10p at over 50%, 5r and 4a and got a little bit of NBA interest, but for some reason he has never really played in one of the world's better pro leagues until now.

If not too much is asked of him he could be a very handy addition. What's his defence like?

Reply #425716 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Bairstow has a year of college eligibility left so you'd think he would probably stay and finish his degree even if a starting NBL gig isn't a bad one to walk into.

I doubt they would go with Conklin as the starting centre. He's undersized for the four, let alone the five. You'll definitely see him used there in stretches but it's too much to start him there. But you're just giving up waaaaay too much size.

You'd have to think it's Nevill, or a Nevill-sized offer being tabled to any of the Euro-based Aussie bigs...surely?

Reply #425717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nevill or ??

Reply #425719 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Or any Kiwi big men?

Reply #425720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Craig Bradshaw?

Reply #425721 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There arent that many Aussies left in Europe now.

Andersen and Nielsen are out of contract and getting on so who knows, Kickert is another option but not what the Crocs need, then youre looking at Maric and Jawai who are still in their prime and both had good seasons at good clubs, so they can earn way too much OS.

Brock Motum is one other thought but Id imagine he'll be looking a few other places first.

Reply #425722 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Dare I say it... Majok?

Reply #425724 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If youre talking Kiwis then perhaps Horvath, but that would be a gamble.

Reply #425726 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also depends on points. What is Steve Markovic rated as? Because if he is anything more than a 7, which i dare say he would be, Nevill (10) doesn't fit.

pc 8
blanchfield 7
conklin 10
pace 10
holmes 7
hinder 5
norton 3
djeric 3
= 53 points.

Reply #425727 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Pretty sure you get 70 points, don't you?

Reply #425730 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mick's saying if they are on 53 then only 17 points left for Markovic and Nevill which doesnt appear to work. Markovic would be an 8 at least so theyd need a player to be re-rated down.

Reply #425734 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah, so if Markovic is 8 or more, and Nevill is 10 (no ifs, he IS 10), that puts them at least at 71, and over the points cap.

Reply #425736 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"What's his game like Mystro? Any comparisons to former/current (A)NBL players? How do you think he will go in the NBL?"

I haven't watched much NZNBL this season sorry. Follow it a bit in the Newspapers etc but haven't been to any games

Reply #425737 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Well that does make it interesting... I thought maybe Blanchfield or someone got rated down again (although I haven't rechecked). One of the NZNBL imports come in as a 9?

Reply #425738 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Or... OR... The plan is that the newNBL will not have a points cap...

Reply #425740 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Which is why the points cap is silly. Even with Nevill this Crocs team is not going to be in contention talks unless something seriously goes right chemistry-wise, and therefore keeping Nevill off this team is not what the points cap is designed to do. Which renders it entirely unnecessary. But that's another discussion altogether.

Don't like their chances of getting anyone rated down seeing they already had Norton, PC and Hinder rated down after the initial rankings were released, and a bid to have Blanchfield rated down rejected.

Only chance would be Nevill: his stats aren't really that good to warrant a 10, but his pedigree is. So that's a no.

So the Crocs are up shit's creek.

Reply #425743 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ziah: imports cannot be rated down until after their first season unfortunately, no matter where they have just come from. Another flaw in the points system which is the downside to having role playing imports.

Reply #425745 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Josh Pace has actually signed in the NBL? What next, the return of Jayson Wells!?!

Reply #425746 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Josh Pace has a little bit of Steve Woodberry about him, that real patience in the lane and unorthodox way of finishing.

You can watch his latest game here (no 5 for Nelson in white):

http://new.livestream.com/NBLlivestreaming/events/2207829

Reply #425747 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"The plan is that the newNBL will not have a points cap"

Great for NZ with Kirk Penney potentially eying a return in the next season or two.

Reply #425756 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's possible that they could rescind it under the new self-governed NBL, but until they say "no points cap", there is a points cap, which makes Townsville's current position rather precarious.

Reply #425778 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I've been told that IF the NBL get rid of the points system (which is being talked about, but no decision yet) then it won't happen until 2014-15 because teams have already made roster moves this year based around player point ratings and it wouldn't be fair.

IE: 36ers went with Teys because he was 1 point. But wanted to go with Daly who is 3 points. If there was no points cap they would have signed Daly.

Reply #425783 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me why Djeric is a 3?

He isnt a returning college player. Isnt he a 1?

Reuben Te Rangi is a 1. They are in the same boat arent they?
Confused :/

Reply #425784 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The extra two points is for street cred.

Reply #425785 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Djeric was a rookie last year for the Hawks. He was never a development player. They usually only allow players that make the move from development player to FT contract player to be rated 1 point.

Djeric. Same reason why Daly is now rated 3. He was a rookie last season.

Reply #425788 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

ADL36ers(PhilSmyth) tried to sign him but he knocked us back. We signed second choice Julius Hodge.

Reply #425795 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

+Watching Josh Pace on the clip... looks like he is well above NZNBL level... pretty glad hes gettin a look in the league

Reply #425800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i reckon he will be a similar style as Hodge, wont be shocked if he is almsot as good aswell.

Will be interesting to see how he goes, i predict the Crocs have found themselves a bargain.

Reply #425805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The points cap is a f@#king joke

Reply #425806 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I think people are talking woft I think crocs will have a play off challenging team

Markovic/Norton
Pace/Djeric
Blanchfield/PC
Conklin/ Holmes
Maybe Luke Nevill? / Hinder

Reply #425808 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pace is the NZNBL equivalent of Dwayne McClain.

Reply #425820 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

If Pace is the Dwayne McClain of the NZNBL then roll on the season, I can't wait to see him live!

As for starting centre is there ANY chance of someone called Ian Crosswhite playing for them or maybe Shawny Dennis trusts his skills as a coach and goes with Ben Allen... Remember last season's next big thing and NBL Dream Team must have item ? Both busts but who knows

Reply #425843 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Oh please no.. someone please forcibly retire Ben Allen! having him in the league is not something be proud of... See if a Korean pro league wants him or something

Reply #425844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Pace is the Dwayne McClain of the NZNBL then roll on the season, I can't wait to see him live!

Take Paul's opinions with a grain of salt, he pumps up everyone even said Cortez Groves was going to be a great signing for the 36ers!

The reality is teams have been looking at Pace for a number of years now (he's 30) and only now has a club taken the plunge (and a cash strapped one at that).

Keep in mind too it's the NZ league, BJ Anthony who couldn't even get an NBL contract last season is 5th in the league in scoring at 20+ppg.

Reply #425846 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Watched the NZ league just before.. Average NBL players are superstars there... It pretty much is SEABL... and possibly a bit weaker.

Reply #425847 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

From watching his clips Pace looks like he has some really nice unorthodox moves in the lane, similar to a rob rose, without the jumpshot. Looks like he has a knack for finding angles and getting the ball in the hoop through a variety of running hooks, floaters, and similar unguardable moves. He doesn't look very athletic though.

Reply #425851 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

And yeah there is no way in hell they are re-signing Ben Allen.

Nevill is no chance with the points system so it is going to be very interesting to see who they dig up.

They have no choice but to sign an untested Aussie who hasn't played pro ball before, barring any player points down-ratings.

Reply #425853 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Matt Burston might be a possibility?

When I say Pace is the Dwayne McClain of the NZNBL, I mean of the NZNBL! Dont expect him to be that good in the NBL.

The NZNBL is an OK if undersized league - better than SEABL with half the number of teams - but it's well short of NBL.

Reply #425855 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Matt Burston with Russell Hinder might be the slowest, most fragile centre rotation of all time.

They would run into each other at training and both go down with season-ending injuries during training camp.

Reply #425857 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

But then you look at Mika who's a solid NBL player but in the NZ NBL is barely averaging more than he does in the NBL.

I think worst case Pace is a cheap role player off the bench. But I'm waiting until a couple of rounds in the season to make any judgement on how his game translates to the NBL.

RE: Ben Allen. Ben's trying out for the Hawks for the back up C role. Haven't heard anything about the Crocs looking at him.

Reply #425858 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I've always had the feeling in the back of my mind that Ben Allen is going to pull a Trigger and start actually trying once he leaves Townsville and be an ok player.

Reply #425859 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Gordie seems to think he can bring it out of him. I guess he's done a good job with Forman & Macmillan.

Reply #425862 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Well as they say, you can't teach size, and there simply aren't many 6'11" guys in the country, basketball players or otherwise.

I think Gordie would have as good a chance as anyone of getting something out of him.

Reply #425864 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Ben will succeed anywhere it will be in Gordie's system, and certainly he will get a rocket up his butt at the other end from Gordie.

I think Pace will be a good bench player. Averaged 10 & 5 at Syracuse, averaged 10 & 4 in reasonable comp in Estonia, has dominated in New Zealand and contributes in a lot of different ways on the court.

He's not a great shooter though, and while he is a very good team defender Im interested to see his one-on-one defence against quick opponents.

Re NZNBL, it's a good comp, I think similar to a good Div 2 Euro comp. It just lacks size, which means big guys can have their way.

Re Vukona, his averages from WCs to NBL to NZNBL are very similar, he just does what he does. I think he'd average the same in my Tuesday night comp!

Reply #425865 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Re Vukona, his averages from WCs to NBL to NZNBL are very similar, he just does what he does. I think he'd average the same in my Tuesday night comp!"

well put Paul.

Reply #425867 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

any word on who the Crocs are looking at for the starting centre slot, Nat?

Reply #425869 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Pace isn't any better or worse than a number of SEABL imports currently running around.

Watched both leagues over the last few years and are both pretty much on par...maybe the top 1 or 2 NZBL teams are a litle more professional that said the overall level of the SEABL comp very good

Reply #425871 | Report this post

Red 77  
Years ago

Josh Pace was a key component to Syracuse's title run in 2003 but garnered very little recognition. He was a good ball handler for his size, had a great short game from 10-feet in and also came up with countless hustle plays.

CJ Fair and Pace are not flashy but they are vital to the success of Syracuse basketball. Their contributions to the team seem identical, although it looks like Fair has the potential to be more of an explosive scorer.

Josh Pace did all the little things for Syracuse from 2001-2005
Both guys are similar in size (Fair is 6'7", 200 lbs and Pace 6'6", 190 lbs), wear the same number (5), and are horrific free throw shooters. Pace, who had one of the worst shots in college basketball history, shot 51 percent for his career; Fair is at 55.

Reply #425886 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed, a number of teams in SEABL would be competitive with the second half of the NZNBL, but the top four are above their level.

Reply #425888 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's generally speaking of course. The great thing about basketball is anyone can beat anyone (within reason) if the stars align.

Reply #425889 | Report this post

Red 77  
Years ago

The top SEABL teams would be same level as top NZNBL teams.

Reply #425892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your wasting your breath talking about a season that won't happen!

Reply #425970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ where is your proof the season won't happen?

Reply #425976 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754