NotJackToft
Years ago

Round 13 CABL

Up a day early due to some other commitments.

Big round of Hoops! My usual disclaimer - I am simply providing my opinion on the upcoming round of games, as a way of generating some interest and discussion, and hoping that someone enjoys the read. I am not trying to emulate Jack Toft, and I do not have his wit or ability with words.

Round 13 CABL

Women's

North (5th 8-4) v Norwood (1st 12-0)

Simon's army (or is it Brentons) are steam rolling this season, disposing of every opponent more ruthful than U10 zone defence when you’re up 80-0. Last time out Norwood cruised to a 20 point victory, with North’s only standout being Jo Hill putting up 21 and 11; however this was nullified by Foley putting up the same numbers. Hill and Peris both average season double doubles, but need more help if they are going to feature in any meaningful August Action. Meanwhile Norwood has 4 players averaging double figures for points. The rockets will be struck by lightning this week, and Norwood will look to record win number 13 by 20. North to slump to 8-5, but in no danger of either losing or gaining on 5th place.

South (10th 0-12) v Southern (8th 3-9)

I am almost tempted to list this game at MOTR. Not for the importance of the game. Not for the quality of the game. But simply for emotion. Have South Adelaide gotten inside Southern's head? Have they derailed them? Will social media light up the Southern skies, and will mobile phones be banned from entry into the stadium to stop those in game SMS's? I feel like Bruce Mcavaney calling the 100m freestyle final - I’m excited. The sounds of a catfight will awaken the old folks village next door, and I’m sure BSA will get in trouble for breaking noise restrictions. Passion Pop for the winners, and Fruitilexia for the losers, and a whole lot of bragging rights about nothing. Southern by 10.

Sturt (2nd 10-2) v Forestville (3rd 9-3)

Now onto the proper hoops. MOTR. Last time out Sturt got the win by 15. Don’t let the score line fool you though. The difference was 3 balls - Sturt hitting 5 more at 20% better, and turnovers, 6 less for Sturt. The ever reliable Fergus had an off night and with only Thompson and Newley firing Forestville had a hard time on offense. Sturt had 4 players in double figures with Lewis the best with 18, 7 and 5. The key to this game lies in ball distribution from the Eagles veteran PG, if Sturt can shut down the passing lanes and pressure Fergus into tough looks, it will go a long way to helping them win the game. For Forestville, they need limit the turnovers, get into their sets, and play a team game to expose Sturt. Ball movement is paramount. Expect a lot of off ball contact and hardnosed on ball defense. Going to need some experienced whistles on this game to ensure the better team on the night wins. Sturt are a perfect 6-0 at home and on a 4 game streak, however the Eagles at 5-1 on the road and on a 3 game streak. The Feagles will want revenge. And I think they will get revenge, however they won't get the split. Eagles by 4.

West (6th 5-7) v Woodville (7th 3-9)

Usually the ladder positions indicate equality. This game will feature as much equality as same sex marriage in the Libs. Last time out West trounced Woodville by 32. In an ugly game that saw 58 turnovers, 50 fouls and Woodville shoot the rock at a team record season low 22%. For this game, West have undergone chemotherapy since round in Round 4, which will reduce the margin, but even if every player on the Woodville list scored their average points for the season, they still would have fallen 2 points short. Unfortunately the difference between the 6th placed side and every team below, is noticeable, and the same for the 4 teams above them. West are in no-woman’s land, and if they play that way they may well be surprised by the Warriors, but it’s hard to imagine that they will be overly tested. West by 17.

Centrals (9th 1-11) v Eastern (4th 9-3)

Two words. Tess Madgen. Just have a look at this Stat line. Averaging 32.9ppg, 12.7rpg, 8.0apg, shooting at 51% from the field and 44% from 3. Her production is up from the last two seasons, scoring 40+ three times this season, 30+ six times, and only one game under 20, which was against the Lightning. Surprisingly Centrals restricted her to her second worst ppg of the season, but she had her best apg the same game at 14. Last time out Eastern ran away winners 100-55 in the Hills, with Eastern having a huge team game with 4 players in double figures and getting good looks shooting 45% from the field. Turnovers hurt Centrals, throwing it away 30 times, however Centrals shining light for Season 2013, Tamika Dukes, shot 12/23 for 28pts, and 11 boards. Centrals are winless at home going 0-6, and it won't change after this round. Eastern to win by 37, and force a three way tie for 2nd spot on the ladder.

Men’s

North (5th 7-5) v Norwood (8th 5-7)

Norwood is staring down the barrel of no finals action, in what would be uncharacteristic of recent times for this club. With a 5-7 record, the flames have a steep hill to climb to see any August action, and it must start this week with the 5th placed Rockets, to build momentum for what is a brutal last month of hoops for them (facing 4 top 5 sides). North on the other hand are now a game clear in 5th, however a loss here may say Southern level with them. Last time out Norwood showed what they are capable of with a 20 point win over a Petrie less North. Pero had his usual 26 and 8, but not enough contributors helping. Norwood had 4 players in double figures with Millard dropping 28 and 7 with 5 steals at 52%. In this game it was Norwood’s 2nd quarter that set them apart, with a 32-13 period and 10/17 first half threes. Norwood aren’t a bad side, and their record does not do them justice, but I think North will want to consolidate in the 5, and will end the flames season early. Look for Norwood to make some off season moves, to return to play off action next year. North by 11.

South (9th 1-11) v Southern (7th 6-6)

What a huge danger game for Rashads tigers. Round 12 v Centrals saw an insipid performance that had Tuck pacing the sidelines. Southern are now 1 game back from the pack after what most would consider a surprising and promising year, and this is do or die. Drop this game and there is a big chance that you fall 2 behind, and with 5 games left, that’s a tough equation especially with their run home. South will be inspired to get a win here, and make some impact on the league this season, and by spoiling Southern’s finals hopes, seems like a great way for this rivalry to continue. Last time out Southern won by 10, but had a hard time containing Boal, McKenzie and Robertson. Southern simply had too many options on offense, and South shot the ball at 31% compared to the tigers 46%. Look for Sam McDaniel to continue his impressive form with a number of back to back double doubles (averaging 15.8ppg and 9.6rpg). No Johns hurts Southern on offense, and if South can pressure the ball carrier and clog the lanes, Southern get stale quicker than a pack of arnotts (not Paul) out of the jar. Such a tough game to pick, and I really am in two minds here. But I have to go with Southern by 10 again.

Sturt (6th 6-6) v Forestville (3rd 8-4)

Forestville are rolling, and Sturt are laboring. Sturt are in the same position as Southern, in a must win game to keep their finals hopes alive. If they drop this game and fall 2 back, with their run home they won't play finals, the Angelakis brothers will have too many prawns in storage, and S.Daly will have a full swear jar. Last time round the Eagles soared by 17, after being up 30 at the last change and this was without Gibbo. Rios is solid with 21.8ppg at 40% from the 2 and 3, Doyle 20.6ppg, 4.2apg at 48% from 2 and 44% from 3. Add Gibson to the mix with 18.5ppg, 8apg, and 6rpg, and the Eagles look dangerous all of a sudden. Andy and his charges would be giving Belly and his boy’s night sweats, after thinking the season was all but locked up. Sturt are in a definitive rebuilding faze, and lacking any real depth at all spots, however playing some reasonable ball. The difference last time round was FG%, with Sturt taking 16 extra shots thanks to 12 additional O Boards (cue Andy rage), but shooting the rock at 29% compared to 48% is not going to win you games. It is always a danger playing teams with their backs to the wall, but Forestville’s experience, plus ball distribution, and shooting ability, sees them run away with this one and end Sturts finals hopes. Eagles by 22.

West (1st 10-2) v Woodville (2nd 10-2)

MOTR. What a heavyweight title fight this will be. For top spot on the ladder, and some post season security, sees this game be of utmost importance. Both teams play 2 of their last 5 against top 5 sides, but I would say that Woodville have the slightly tougher draw, facing the Eagles in Round 17. Last time round West got up by 8. It was a roller coaster ride. West led by 14 at the half, but the score line did not reflect the closeness of the game. Turnovers hurt the warriors, with 11 at the half. Woodville then rallied in the third period outscoring West 26-7, the Bearcats shooting 14% for the term and throwing the ball away 6 times. This lit a fire under Belly, and after he got his trademark angry on, his charges rallied back with a 24-11 last quarter, with the D getting, quote pop 'Nasty', forcing 10 turnovers, getting to the line 15 times, and shooting at 46% from the field. Johnson was West's best, with 22 and 16, however shot the rock at a frustrated 36ers fan 31%. Woodville had multiple contributors, however no standouts. Wyatt with 20 at 35%, Ng with 19 @ 46% (2/7 3's), and Stanbridge had 15 and 9. The keys to this game for both teams are, Turnovers (22-11), and Free throws (37-20), last time both in favour of west. What does this mean? Defense. Woodville need to clog the lane, and force DJ off the block, and settle with him shooting jumpers. This game deserves and needs the two best referees this season. Woodville are on a 5 game tear, West are on the rebound with only the 1. I'm going with the Warriors, by 1.

Centrals (4th 7-5) v Eastern 10th (0-12)

Eastern are in the bomb shelter, and the Lions seem due to play some finals ball. This will not change after this round. Eastern lack depth, and experience, and probably some ability, but fight gallantly each game. Centrals took care of Southern comfortably last round in what was an ugly game, but effective nonetheless. Last time round the Lions got up by 19, and pulled an extra 20 boards, and area that Eastern clearly struggle. A lot of free throws last game too with the teams shooting a combined 67. It’s hard to see the result going the Mavs way; however this doesn’t mean the Lions will want to take it easy. Only 1 game clear of 6th and 7th, a loss here could drastically change the landscape of their season. Enough to give Scott a heart attack. The reduced effectiveness of Kyle Miller is an interesting prospect; however the addition of Clausen has made all the difference for them, adding 17.9ppg and 8rpg. Look for Millers output to increase leading into the finals, where the Lions are a dangerous outfit. Did I mention season over for the Mavs? Lions by 16.

Topic #32054 | Report this topic

Rock  
Years ago

Nice write-up NewJack. You are certainly putting some research into it!

Reply #425883 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

South will beat Southern in the Womens this round

Reply #425887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South cant find the toilets own their own and Southern can't get out of them so I'm predicting a 10 all draw with both teams shooting at 9%.

Reply #425904 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Great write up "Not Jack".
With Tess and Olivia both overseas with WUG team I expect Sturt to beat Forestville at home and the Mavs to get a win over Centrals but not by much.
Norwood to beat North even though Amy Lewis is away. South and Southern mmmm toss a coin.
West seem a little more consistent than Woodville so agree with Not Jack. West comfortably

Reply #425905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great write up again hats off, I'm liking the read

Reply #425908 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Thanks for the player information ANON. I completely forgot the WUG were on and Thompson and Madgen would be away.

I agree with Thompson away, Sturt to win.

Without Madgen I think Eastern are still good enough to take care of the Lions.

Reply #425984 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

nice. It's a classic RIvalry Round. The men's Norf-Nor-would game should be a nailbiter. Western dominance is up for grabs, the "Barr-Smith Cup" in the women will be very close, and the Tigers should keep their very slim finals chances alive.

I think Brenton is more Dr Watson to Simon's Sherlock instead of Igor to Dr Frankenstein. Although, if Brenton says "yes Master".....

Reply #426013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like how BSA decide to play some of the biggest ABL matchups (as JT says "rivalry round") on the same night as the opening games of u16 nationals. That will effect the crowd for both events I'd say.

Reply #426018 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

I am not convinved that scheduling the 2nd of the 'Rivalry Rounds' on the same weekend as Under 16's will have a dramatic impact on crowd numbers.

Reply #426096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville won't beat west at home, There bigs are not good enought. I think woodville have been overachieving. The next few week will either make or break them, I'd like to say prove me wrong but they will finish 3rd behind Forrestville with west taking the minor P

Reply #426175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West might come top (thanks to external assistance) but the finals will show all that glitters is not gold. Better beg your ring ins to be available for finals West.

Reply #426189 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Word is that for potentially the first 2 rounds of finals (only 1 round if West finish top) that DJ and JC wont be available.

Reply #426190 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

36ers going to China about then...

Reply #426205 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

It would be very interesting for the finals to see the top 5 sides without the 36ers contingent. Surely the players and teams would know when the trip goes until, does anyone else have any ideas as to when the trip concludes? Nothing on the 36ers website about dates.

If the ladder stayed in this formation going into finals:

West
Woodville
Forestville
Centrals
North

Then without the 36ers contingent,

Round 1 - August 10th - you would have to back Centrals and Woodville. So North would be out.

Round 2 - August 17th - would see Centrals v Forestville and Woodville v West, which I would tip again Centrals and Woodville. Meaning Forestville would be out. Woodville through to GF.

Round 3 - August 24th - West v Centrals. Depending on when they get back. If 6ers back West to win, if not Centrals to win.

I know I am placing alot of weight onto the inclusion of 6ers players, but I think teams like Woodville and Centrals playing all season with no disruptions like that are better gelled.

Reply #426212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Mottram and Oakley are fit even without Gibson playing Forestville would beat Centrals I reckon. Would just be too big for Centrals to guard and keep off the O Boards.

Doyle, Rios, Gerlach & Mottram/ Oakley are still a pretty decent 4! Thin after that but still not too shabby!

Reply #426214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except that North beat Centrals at Starplex without Petrie so I am not sure why you think Centrals are certainties

Reply #426217 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

North did beat Centrals at Starplex, but that was by 2 points, after Centrals led by 12 at the last change, and North had not won a quater.

Miller also shot 3/13 in his equal worst shooting game for the season.

I would say Centrals win this game more times than they lose it.

Reply #426219 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

And again its all just hypothetical. I think the 6ers players missing for finals, changes the game more than people think. Maybe not as much for a team like Forestville like Anon 214 mentioned - that is still a solid outfit.

I maybe got a touch carried away with Centrals beating Forestville without Gibbo... but it is interesting nonetheless.

Maybe I am just hoping for some different colours come late August!

Reply #426220 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

and dont forget that west beat forestville without DJ or JC
i think that the only team that west would struggle against is woodville but im going to wait till the results of this weeks game to make my decision
my pick is woodville - west grand final with woodville going straight through

Reply #426232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Jack,

But Kyle has not been shooting well for the last 5 weeks. If he shot at the same % as he has been shooting for the past 4 weeks then he would have scored 2 more points which is hardly earth shattering.

To me apart from the top 3 teams it is a toss of the coin between the next 4 teams.

Reply #426291 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Some women's teams making me out to look like a right fool!

Very very interesting results tonight!

Perkas for the Warriors dropping 40+.

Thank you South and Woodville for proving me wrong!

Reply #426429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shows just how bad the bottom five are

Reply #426430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well done south girls a top effort

Reply #426435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well done south girls a top effort

Reply #426436 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Wow some more surprises in the men's too. Sturt down the eagles by double figures, Miller hits a game winner on the buzzer for centrals to beat the mavs by 1!

No live stats of west v woodville, anyone know the result?

Any other news for the night?

Reply #426437 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Feagles Girls get up??

Reply #426442 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Technical problem at the West game.
Woodville women won 55-76.
West men won 84-72

Reply #426445 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

STURT WOMEN BEAT FORESTVILLE

Reply #426469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Doyle, Rios, Gerlach & Mottram/ Oakley are still a pretty decent 4! Thin after that"

All great Forestville juniors. What? None of them? Oh...

Reply #426571 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Quick Results:

Women's

North 56 def by Norwood 62
South 58 def Southern 48
Sturt 75 def Forestville 66
West ?? def by Woodville ?? (by about 20)
Centrals 70 def by Eastern 76

Men's

North 77 def Norwood 69
South 54 def by Southern 69
Sturt 84 def Forestville 71
West ?? def Woodville ?? (by about 8)
Centrals 94 def Eastern 93

Annnnnd my tipping was terrible! 2/5 for the women's and 3/5 for the men's.

Reply #426576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West men won by 12

Reply #426577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good round for the men. Forestville loss now makes it a 5 way go for the final 3 spots in the finals. Head to head between the teams becomes even more important. Anyone game enough to predict the five yet!

Reply #426582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, West by 12. Everytime Woodville threatened West had the answers. Horrible officiating made it closer than it was.

Reply #426589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm starting to worry about the quality of the ABA officiating, seems like the quality and standard is dropping off rapidly, are all these Refs jaded and disenfranchised? Does no one review and discuss their performances or performance manage. Not many out there are would last in other leagues.

Reply #426594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its not the refs, its the people that look after them that work for BSA directing them to call games a certain way, have a look at the video they just sent out!!

Reply #426595 | Report this post

lift  
Years ago

Where can we find a copy of that video?

Reply #426597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The referees for that Men's game are the two best in the league (arguably at least in the top 3).

I would not be concerned about the quality of officiating from these two.

Some of the juniors rolling around though - cause some level of concern.

And one would think that Anon#589 would be a West supporter... They do seem very spiteful from the last few seasons of not making a GF.

Reply #426598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is this video your talking about? ABA officiating directives? who was it sent to the clubs?

My question to Mike Gobson is this, is it your directives that cause the referees to have to second guess themselves each week or is it just the umpires that can't confidently officiate a game chew on their whistle to run down time, I wonder why the need for directives?. I'm seeing junior umpires run games better than some of these whistle swallowing I want to go home early panel ref's at high district ABA level.

Reply #426619 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

West are never happy with officiating and unlike others on the referee panel the ref they had on saturday night was not going to except the poor attitude and handed out appropriate Tech Fouls to West Adelaide Bearcats

West won but watching the game it seemed like they want to complain about every call that does not go in there favour where Woodville just worked hard

Woodville could have won this game if a couple of there starting 5 played to there normal ability

IMO

Reply #426620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe west's D was the reason some of them didnt play to their ability.
Ever considered that possibility?

Reply #426627 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

During the women's game at the Port (and I can only assume the Men's also) the doyen of referees Greg Love was taking notes and giving the referees feedback so that can only be a good thing?

Reply #426628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must say, and sorry for the going against popular opinion.

The refs this year have been the best and most consistant i've seen in a long time.

Just saying

Oh and i'm not a ref i'm a spectator with lots of years in the game

Reply #426635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will done South Girls played pressure basketball for most of the game.
Tigers not playing a team game just looks for one person most of the time. interesting when the mums is team manager ?

Reply #426667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Love was there? Well no wonder the T's were being handed out like lollies. His philosophy of refereeing is exactly what you don't want referees copying.

Reply #426717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 667

Shes the only one that can play at this level.

Reply #426719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

719, the stats suggest that neither team has players that can play at the level.

Reply #426720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ah the tiger snipers are out again

Reply #426731 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

The weekend match was the most dangerous for Norwood on the way to an undefeated season. Missing both Foley & Duke a big hole which North just couldn't capatilise on.

The difference was Amy Lewis, she was a level above everyone else on court. Supported well by Cara Boothey.

North probably should have played more inside through Jamie Lee Peris as Norwood had no-one that could consistently stop her. Lots of missed 3 pointers cost them dearly. Jess Smart was probably the second best for North as she had a good game.

Reply #426782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess we were lucky that the time those two were unavailable coincided when Jo Hill didn't play . To be honest Norwood looked average with that line-up on the weekend. No coach and no Foley and Duke are big problems for us

Reply #426812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North still couldn't beat them, north rely on a 40 year old! Rough times ahead for the lady rockets! Have heard stories it's an unhappy ship also

Reply #426835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jo Hill & Jess Foley pretty much nullify each other out with the impact on the game. I agree though, other than 2 players for Norwood the rest were below average, poor shooting, lacklustre defence. It was like the rest of the team lost confidence without Foley and Duke.

North are in a worse spot. Hill cannot play forever and the North team was very poor. There was really no depth outside the starting 5.

Reply #426867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to make excuses for Norwood girls but it can be difficult when you take two players out who are the main focus of all offence and generally have most of the ball. Team roles and balance changes take time settle. Think it would be a different story if they were gone the next game also.

Reply #426884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood girls have had a ride for years on always having two or three top shelfers and really in this league that's all they needed. The rest are just plodders.

Reply #426894 | Report this post

Filthy Mexican  
Years ago

Is the South ladies win the one they needed to avoid the spoon? Interesting round 18 for the lady panthers against centrals!

Reply #427086 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754