Vart
Years ago

Celtics Hire Brad Stevens as Head Coach

The Boston Celtics announced today that they have come to an agreement with Brad Stevens to be the 17th head coach of the team. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not announced.

Stevens, age 36, has served for the past six years as the head coach of Butler University, never winning fewer than 22 games and leading the Bulldogs to two national championship games against Duke and Connecticut. He was the youngest coach to reach the Final Four since Bob Knight in 1973.

A native of Zionsville, Indiana, Stevens was a three-time academic All-America nominee while earning four varsity letters at DePauw University, before graduating with a degree in economics. He later joined the Butler University program as the coordinator of basketball operations under then-coach Thad Matta, before being named head coach in 2007.

"Brad and I share a lot of the same values," said Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge. "Though he is young, I see Brad as a great leader who leads with impeccable character and a strong work ethic. His teams always play hard and execute on both ends of the court. Brad is a coach who has already enjoyed lots of success, and I look forward to working with him towards Banner 18."

Stevens and his wife Tracy, along with their children Brady and Kinsley, will be introduced to the media at 11 a.m. on Friday at the Celtics Training Center at Healthpoint.

Topic #32063 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

tank time.

Reply #426008 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Boston just became one of my favorite teams.

If the Celtics stick with him over the next few years and extend his contract, Danny Ainge will be praised as a genius.

Brad Stevens can coach.

Reply #426032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, fill in the gap cheaply for a few years until we have a squad that can compete. 36 years old, has never played in the NBA or been an assistant. Players will not respect that.

Reply #426042 | Report this post

Dr6  
Years ago

So Brett Brown to 76ers then?

Reply #426051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u guys that think players only respect ex stars are idiots

its about knowledge teaching ability and people management

great pick up

will be one of the best coaches ever!

Reply #426061 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Steven's can coach let's hope it translates to the NBA becuase if it does could be a great pick up by the Celtics

Reply #426069 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Vogel and Spo both started around his age. Both were well respected. Can be done if you prove yourself early.

Reply #426073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spo was an assistant for 7 years before he got the head gig. Some of the players this guy may be coaching may even be older than him! It's a budget decision and as soon as they get talent to contend he'll be moved on.

Reply #426075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he's signed a six year deal don't think he's going anywhere soon

Reply #426078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When has that ever stopped being sacked in the NBA?

Reply #426109 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

Tanking? This is the Boston celtics

Reply #426133 | Report this post

MIM  
Years ago

anyone suggesting this is a tanking move should look into Brad stevens' record. He has been destined to be a head coach of the NBA for a couple years.

And Danny Ainge sticks by his coaches so I'd expect that he'll be with the celtics for a while

Reply #426144 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Love what he has done for Butler!! Just hope he can have the same success in NBA. My concern remember when Rick Pitino left college for an nba gig?? He struggled and ended up returning to college years later, (Louisville is much appreciate of that though) Celtics will be rebuilding for the next few years so seems like a good move, highly doubt they were going to get any interest from other nba coaches so why not look at the college level??

Reply #426156 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Now that its come out I can tell you that Marty Clarke will be going to the Boston Celtics as an Assistant to Brad Stevens. With the rebuilding going on at Boston and the connection with Stevens, Clarke and Jackson Aldridge this all makes sense. With his International experience and highly respected ability in player development we will see another of our coaches leave Australia. Our coaches go overseas and develop and American coaches come here, talk the talk and break our clubs and don't give a stuff at all.
Makes sense all round really.

Reply #426197 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754