Anonymous
Years ago

De Merger going ahead, what does it all mean?

Are we going to see any significant changes next season?

More Marketing?

Better TV Broadcast deal?

Will this de merger change the game of basketball in this country, or is it just all hot air again?

Topic #32064 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

I don't think there will be any 'significant' changes next season. The NBC, or NBL Pty Ltd, or whatever they are calling themselves, have said that the league will remain pretty much status quo next season, and they'll use that time to properly assess everything before recommending any changes. I for one think that type of approach should be commended, as in the past just about everything to do with the NBL has been rushed.

Reply #426012 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Agree wit Vart.

I think this season is about removing that unnecessary layer of management (done!) and allowing the clubs to have more say in their product.

Reply #426014 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Agree... and also to get that product out to more people. Hopefully, as others have mentioned in regards to the TV deal, we can get some support from Ten, if we go ahead with them, as we really need our broadcast partner behind the league and helping push things forward... as really, it's in their best interest to get more people watching...

Reply #426017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And having the guy that built the V8 brand involved has got to be a game changer

Reply #426025 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It would be better if we could get someone like him involved long-term rather than just as a guiding presence during television negotiations.

Reply #426040 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Tony Cochrane is negotiating an equity stake in the new NBL Pty Ltd entity, so that would suggest he may be looking at a long term involvement.

Reply #426045 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

V8 Supercars brand was built on two competitive race car brands and a rivalry which stirred people into following an exciting sport with lots of hyp and media exposure.

Let's see how the Supercars go in the next 10 years, with no Ford or Holden V8 made here and all the imports racing in a sue do Euro style and class?

I am betting that egg is cooked...

Does hoops have what V8' had?

We need to have the media on board, end of story...

Reply #426046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cochrane has this thing by the reigns and is about to unleash the beast.

Reply #426047 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Might need to Foxtel and Free 2 Air element in the future. Fingers Crossed

Reply #426070 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I think we should try a deal with the Seven network... Their Summer sport lineup is pretty bare with only a few V8 races on during NBL season, no horse racing or AFL... SBS has A-league and ten has big bash and Nine has cricket... Are Seven interesting in competing from October to April?

Reply #426082 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Great point by Vart.

I think they rushed a lot of things because they felt the pressure of the public to acheive immediate results.

Realistically both fans and the new control group should not expect overnight success. Its a long term progression.
The new owners seem better aware of this than BA.

Reply #426087 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

There should really be other forms of basketball on FTA tv such as euro, college and obviously NBA, that'd drive interest in the sport and then the NBL, but who's job is it to drive that if these leagues are in no way affiliated to BA or the NBL?

Reply #426136 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

My sources say the NBL is raising private equity. Does anyone know who is putting in the cash?

Reply #426150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am aren't you?

Reply #426151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can start with Bendat, Slepoy, Kestermans and Blackwell. Maybe slip Koch in there? A few associates of the aforementioned?

Reply #426154 | Report this post

Jackie  
Years ago

Have to agree. Always good to slip a Koch in there.

Reply #426155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koch will never put his hand in his own pocket. He was an owner of the Kings when he was required to tip in. he declinded and left the ownership group. Won't happen.

Reply #426198 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754