YouknowME
Years ago

WOW... Goulding gets a Cavs try out!?!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/chris-goulding-will-try-out-for-the-nba8217s-cleveland-cavaliers-in-las-vegas-this-week/story-fnii0am9-1226675983029

Must read

Topic #32106 | Report this topic

daneo  
Years ago

yeah posted it earlier in the Australians for NBA thread. Good luck to him, no gaurenteed summer league but will be good for his confidence

Reply #426634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He deserves his own thread but good luck to him. Has had to work his way up, he wasn't a top rated junior. If he doesn't make it expect to see him in Europe in the future

Reply #426636 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

daneo - oh,was he lacking in confidence.....

Reply #426670 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great stuff! That workout with Irving has paid off!

Reply #426671 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

Irving has pulled some strings..good work kyrie..
Good luck Goulding.

Reply #426693 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

True, he has never been short of confidence. He will prob come in and shoot 30 shots a game instead of 20 now!

Reply #426706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guys an absolute champion. Confidence is warranted. Go get em Goulds.

Reply #426714 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Must have a great agent!!! ;)

Reply #426715 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Good experience for him, but he isn't even close to being selected in the national team, let alone getting a gig in the NBA.

Reply #426716 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Isn't close to being selected in the national team? I doubt that very much. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him run out against New Zealand next month. The Boomers are desperate for back-up shooting guard, someone who can score in a variety of ways.

Reply #426722 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

This is our All-star game MVP we are talking about here, if he impresses and gets an NBA gig then that gives more integrity to the award.

Best of luck

Reply #426726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching Goulding, you get the impression that the up-side is very large, if he can put everything together.

Reply #426732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The man is a beast. He should be a starter on a NBA team.

Reply #426734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At worst he is a fringe boomer, I hope he is in NZ series a great player imo

Reply #426735 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

His improvement last year was pretty impressive, and playing Boomers and training with the Cavs will only make him better this year.

One thing in his favour is he wont try and fit in like so many Aus/NZ players do and which doesnt worj in these settings, he'll get in there and let it rip for better or worse. Good luck Goulds!

Reply #426739 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

He is a fringe Boomer who would have a tough battle for a spot on a Boomer's team however if Broekhoff and Drmic arent up to the hype hes got that back up spot and it would be to not detriment of the team. A lot of potential.

As for NBA... he wouldnt make it this year but its not impossible that he could one day. BTW whats going on with Ingles NBA stuff?

Reply #426741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

even prior to this NBA tryout I had him in boomers mix but when it comes to final selection it's not clear cut he will be up against drmic,broekhoff and gliddon. He has the talent I hope he has the desire to make it

Reply #426746 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

At this stage he would be ahead most of those college guys....just becuase the level he has been playing at this past year.

Reply #426750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broekhoff has been at the level of Blanchfield and Steindl in the Emerging Boomers' games, although that doesnt correlate directly to seniors Boomers team.

His role will be to hit spot up triples, he hasnt been shooting super in Stankovic and WUG (2/8 3p, 5/18 overall in two games), but in last year's Boomers camp pre-London he was apparently on fire.

I would certainly think Goulding is well ahead of him as an overall offensive player at this stage, Chris needs to make sure his D is on in camps.

Reply #426753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its funny at the start of last season many would have had Cadee ahead of Goulding and were happy the 36ers had Cadee and not Goulding, myself included, but how 1 season changed things, Goulding had a break out season whilst Cadee was just average and didnt really play at starter level, may have had a lot to do with the coach though.

Goulding still does take a few too many silly shots for my liking, but the good outweighs the bad and he is an exciting player to watch with his athleticism and offensive skills. If he just gets a little more self control/basketball iq and works hard on defense he could become the best SG in the NBL next season he is probably 2nd best Aussie now with Madgen No. 1 and Gliddon emerging behind them, (also depending if you regard Gibson as a SG or PG and what imports play NBL next season.)

Reply #426754 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

In reality, the Boomers don't have any true shooting guards at the moment. It is a glaring position on weakness within our team. I love Patty Mills, but I doubt that we are truly going to be able to compete for medals if he is our starting shooting guard. Long term he may be more valuable coming off the bench as a sixth man spark plug/instant offence kind of guy, able to spell both guard spots. Then we have Newley, who is a shooting guard that loses his jump shot everytime he pulls on a green and gold singlet, making him completely one dimensional and thus predictable and less valuable. Ingles can play the two, but is a much better fit at the three. Ideally, the starting shooting guard would be a guy who can score consistently from anywhere on the floor, be it outside shooting, mid range, putting the ball on the floor for pull-ups, getting to the rim, even going into the post from time to time.

Reply #426755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, i reckon its time to through Dante Exum into the sg spot, problem solved for the next decade!

Not sure if he is available at the moment, but if he is through him in, same for Ben Simmons, yes they are young but the sooner you get them in there even the better imo.

Gaze, Bradtke, Longley, Vlahov were picked as young guys for an Olympics and formed the nucleus for a top 4 olympic team for the next 10+ years, so we can definatly give Exum and Simmons a go imo.

I hope our next major boomers team looks like (assuming everyone is available)

Delly/Mills
Exum/Newley/? Another guard who can do it all maybe Madgen,Gliddon or Goulding
Ingles/Simmons
Andersen/Motum
Bogut/Baynes/Jawai

Reply #426758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Vart. I rate Mills as a player but think by 2016 he will be best suited to bench spark role. Backup shooting guard has been our Achilles heel for a while now, with Dellavedova,Exum and Mills our backcourt looks good for years to come. Newley must be looking over his shoulder with drmic,boekhoff,goulding and gliddon chasing his spot.

Reply #426759 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Broekhoff won a player of the year in his conference. Drmic could easily do the same and put in a strong performance in his only NCAA tournament outing. I have to pay these guys some respect. Along with Delly and Motum they are our clear college standouts. I think the two will make fine Boomers.

Reply #426763 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I think its too early to put exum in the seniors team, He is a great player but I just dont think hes ready yet. 2016, sure... And I am starting to think Goulding may be better for back up shooting guard then Broekhoff/Drmic.. for now atleast

Reply #426764 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

and what Pauls said is true too, hes not going to just try and fit in. Goulding will try and make statements.. Hes got a bit of Shane Heal about him

Reply #426765 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I'm also of the opinion Goulding will be in the next Olympics. I like the swagger and like the players I mentioned in the previous post they all have an acceptance in their respective teams of being or wanting to be the "go to guy".

Reply #426766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The anon above has the right idea getting Simmons and exum into the team asap is a good idea it worked for vlahov,heal etc the likes of Worthington and Barlow,even Newley aren't in longterm plans anyway.

Reply #426767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum and Simmons arent ready. Maybe put Exum in as 12th man for experience but Simmons is at least two years off even being at that level. There is a big gap from 2016 in Rio to 2019 Worlds so that is the time to work in young guys.

Exum will be ready by 2016, that is our medal winning Olympics with Bogut and Newley finishing, Ingles, Mills, Baynes, Ogilvy and Jawai in their peak, Goulding, Delly and Motum coming into their own and Exum ready to make his mark. All you need on top of that is a really good solid guy who can play both forward positions and you have an awesoem team.

Reply #426769 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

A good solid guy who can play both forward positions? You just described Simmons! Ha ha.

Don't forget, Ben will be 20 years old by the time Rio rolls around.

Reply #426770 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

If they wanna see where these kids are at, things like the Sino-Aus challenge are perfect for that.. I wouldnt risk a World Championship spot on them yet. If you want them to experience it, bring them into camp and fly them over with you to watch... Australia needs to find the right balance between wanting to win and wanting to gain experience

Reply #426772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no doubt Simmons and exum will make boomers just a difference of opinion on when. Imo exum 2014 and Simmons 2016 also if maker plays it won't be until 2019

Reply #426774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didnt Tai Webster play for New Zealand and do well at a similar age to Exum and Simmons?

I say why not throw them in even if it is the 11th and 12th spot if you dont want to risk giving them a larger role.

Reply #426776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ X 2.

Reply #426777 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"A good solid guy who can play both forward positions? You just described Simmons!"

I reckon he might still be a streaky young guy at that stage. He might be ready, he might not, it's so hard to predict what a 17 year old is going to do.

Dont forget, AJ Ogilvy absolutely dominated the U19 WCs to the level of Exum and at this point is a decent player in our stocks of big man depth. Nothing should be taken for granted.

Reply #426788 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Well thats true Paul. I would go as far to say that majority of kids deemed to be the next big thing end up working at the car wash or something by the time they are 25 lol. Lets hope Exum is one of the ones who does improve, But I think he will be.

Reply #426789 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree re Exum, but Simmons hasnt done anything near what Exum has yet in the green and gold. Let's hope he does though, exactly the type of player we need.

Reply #426791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

penney is twise the player goulding will ever be and never got a regular NBA gig. Goulding hasn't got a chance!

Reply #426793 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Thats wonderful Anonymous... And I am sure you know all this from your last NBA call up?

Reply #426797 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I dont think anyone is under the dillusion that He is going to be playing for the Cavs next season. Its an achievement to even be called up, read between the lines. And I apologise that I replied "TWICE"

Reply #426798 | Report this post

hugh j  
Years ago

Great news!! I was at the kyrie/goulding session and was very impressed by both.Kyrie is a little quicker IMO but Goulding is as good a shot. Don't know if he had a day out but good luck to him - hope he gets a gig with the Cavs.

Reply #426800 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

At just 17 Tai scored eight points in just 12 minutes in his international debut against Brazil. In this he shot four from five from the field.
He would then back it up a day later, scoring 18 points against Greece shooting three for three from beyond the arc.
In the Olympic Qualifying Tournament Tai was kept a little quieter scoring six points while dishing two assists. This came against Macedonia, where he was matched up with Italian League MVP and All-Euroleague Second Teamer, Bo McCalebb. Remember Tai is only 17.
In the final game of the Tournament VS Angola Tai wasn't so quiet, he had 21 points and grabbed three rebounds in 24 minutes, as he helped the Tall Blacks to a victory. After missing a three point attempt in the first minute of the game, he went on to make his next five, finishing five from six from beyond the arc. Tai shot 62.5 percent from the three point line, finishing fourth for three point percentage in the tournament, whilst also finishing 16th in the scoring leaders.
After spending last season as a Breakers DP he's passed his SAT's and is awaiting final clearance to head to Nebraska to play NCAA

Reply #426803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wtf has Penney being twice the player got to do with goulding?

Reply #426806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly my point re Tai and why we should give Exum and Simmmons the 11th and 12th spot and see what they can do, at worse they play 5 mins and struggle and they show they need a little more time at best they do similar to Tai, cant see the downside, aslong as the coaches dont expect them to star and shatter them and there confidence if they dont, it will be a good development opportunity at worse at best they do well and increase there stock further.

Reply #426847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The big difference between Penney & Goulding is that Penney needs to be the focal point of the offence, coming off screens etc. Without that he wouldn't get a shot off in a league like the NBA due to zero athletic ability. Harsh but true. A poor man's Eric Piatkowski.

Goulding on the other hand can to a degree match it athletically with NBA guys, can occasionally get hot from outside and more importantly could get shots off over NBA players. I've seen athletic guys with less game than Goulding play in the NBA like Darius Miles, Korleone Young etc.

Reply #426857 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Good point anonymous... plus its not a game of "whos better then who?" its a game of "whos tools suit my needs?" .... A team with a Kobe Bryant or a Lebron James isnt going to have much need for Kirk Penney are they?

Reply #426858 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

paul, I agree with you points about Simmons. I certainly know that nothing is for certain when it comes to youth development. But if everything goes to 'plan', then Simmons at 20 years old, with three years of development under his belt, coming off his freshman year of college 'should' be good enough to make the Boomers team for Rio.

Reply #426870 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Maybe. There is a big difference for me between Exum, who although raw has dominated two underage WCs, and Simmons, who is incredibly raw and had three good games against China, Egypt and Czech Republic at U17 level.

There is no doubt huge potential, but I am going to wait and see how he progresses before handing him a Boomers spot.

Reply #426877 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Again, I totally agree paul. Exum has done everything you could ask of a player at the junior international level. I was very disappointed that Simmons was not a part of this recent under 19 campaign (for whatever reason). But, if he is as good as currently projected, and maintains his position as a top 5 member of his high school class, then we're talking a McDonalds All-American, being recruited by every big school in the USA (heck, Duke are already recruiting him), and a likely top-5 NBA draft pick.

It's a different path than what we are used to, for sure. But if he achieves those things listed above, it would mean his development has continued over the course of three years, and he would likely be ready to play for the Boomers. No one is 'giving' him a spot.

And you would hope that he will play U19 World in 2015, as 'the man' for the Emus, so we'll be able to compare his achievements at that level to Exum's then.

Reply #426880 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, that last paragraph is spot on, that will be his chance to make a statement and get himself to the main Boomers' camps.

Reply #426882 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree with you Vart. We have not been able to compare Simmon's achievements/performance against that of say Exum on the world stage just yet.

Reply #426903 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"The big difference between Penney & Goulding is that Penney needs to be the focal point of the offence, coming off screens etc. Without that he wouldn't get a shot off in a league like the NBA due to zero athletic ability. Harsh but true. A poor man's Eric Piatkowski."

like when the Tall Blacks play a country like Spain that has almost it's entire squad made up of pretty decent NBA players?
Cos he hasn't seemed to struggle to put the ball in the hole then either.

Reply #426924 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

As a passionate Aussie Boomers fan, I would absolutely LOVE to have a shooting guard of Penney's quality. Could you imagine the inside/outside game that Bogut and Penney would bring to the floor?

(Can I please ask that everyone refrains from turning this into another 'Bogut will never play for Australia ever again' Bogut bashing exercise. Thanks.)

Reply #426930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

like when the Tall Blacks play a country like Spain that has almost it's entire squad made up of pretty decent NBA players?
Cos he hasn't seemed to struggle to put the ball in the hole then either.

Because he's the focal point of the Tall Blacks offence (screens, curls etc) which he never has been or will be on an NBA team.

Reply #426966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He doesn't need to be the focus of the offence, wasn't in his early Tall Blacks days. Give him daylight and he'll knock it down or slice to the hole.

Reply #426971 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Because he's the focal point of the Tall Blacks offence (screens, curls etc) which he never has been or will be on an NBA team."

hahaha watch some footage of him playing again and take off your rose tinted glasses.
The guy can score flat out against any level of opposition.
The reason he isn't in the NBA is prob due to his defensive deficiencies and not his offensive abilities.
When he last tried out for San Antonio he put just as many points on the board as Tony Parker in the same amount of time on the floor against the same opposition and his first points were a floater in the paint after faking the shot and taking his man off the dribble. The Spurs already had like 3 guys on guaranteed contacts playing his position so he was basically trialing for a position that didn't exist.

Reply #426972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol If that were true he would be in the NBA!

First BJ Anthony now this, take off those kiwi coloured glasses Mystro.

Reply #426985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is true, read the game report/boxscore from that game.

Reply #426989 | Report this post

herpes  
Years ago

Going back to opening paragraph good luck to Chris goulding

Reply #426990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, this isnt Penney vs Goulding, this is about Chris getting a great chance.

Reply #426996 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I was surprised by Goulding's athleticism shown in the ASG.

Reply #427002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's cant play

Reply #427043 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Yep. He cant play. :D sucks so much that the cavs were interested. but doesnt suck as bad as Kyrie Irving... he was so shit that he was an NBA allstar

Reply #427045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THE END

Reply #427050 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Penney is the focal point of the Tall Blacks offence....but he also gets the majority of the defensive attention from the other teams

Reply #427115 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:00 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754