YouknowME
Years ago

Boomers preparation.... What in the world !?!?

Has to be asked. What in the world are the Boomer's doing to prepare for the qualifying series?

I find these World Uni Games to be a bit of a distraction, and in my mind should be undertaken by a different coach we have a month and 5 days until the series starts... are we even having lead up games or we just going to throw all the guys together and hope for the best?

The China/Aus series is good for very little... 3 months beforehand with nothing inbetween and assumedly a completely different roster. Really, What are they doing? Do they not care about World Championship seeding? Someone tell me that theres a Europe tour or something beforehand!

Topic #32116 | Report this topic

FYI  
Years ago

Now the NBL owners arent contributing to BA's costs a whole new business case for the Boomer and Opals needs to be created

Reply #426786 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

They need to get there shit together really. I dont remember world Uni games being treated like a priority over the boomers before... actually this is the first I have heard of it. I mean I hope they do well and all.. but not at the cost of the national team

Reply #426787 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Really, this series is just part of the preparation for 2014. It seems Lemanis has chosen a short build up in the hope of having as many of his top players there as possible, rather than them taking a year off because it would eat up too much time.

It would have been nice to have another few games for guys like Knight, Ogilvy, Markovic, Drmic, Blanchfield, Broekhoff etc to join the best players from the Sino-Australia challenge.

Not to worry, IF this means there'll be more money for a big build up next year then I am happy with that. Two tours the year of the WCs is more valuable than one in 13 and one in 14 for mine.

Reply #426790 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I could be way off track here and it's definitely off topic...but why isn't Julian Khazzouh getting a look in? Is it because he said he was going to play for Lebanon?
His style of game would be perfect for the International game.

Reply #426794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well before he elected to play for Lebanon he elected not to play defence and that made him ineligible. It appears Daniel Johnson has made the same choice.

Reply #426795 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Yes thats fair to say, but all that assumes that basketball Australia isnt a bunch of minders...

Reply #426796 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

FYI. I realise you (forum posters here generally) are all pent up about this but if the owners were contributing 100k per year to BA, then it appropriately matches the contribution the states make as well, stretching down through the whole structure of Australian Basketball. They wanted a vote and a say in how BA was run, and they paid an appropriate fee for that say, as does every other stakeholder in BA. That's how sport basically works in this country, if you want a say, you pay. That happens at state level as well, and at local....

Having said this, the Boomers program is largely paid for from ASC funding. BA redistribute that funding each year depending on the focus in that year. This year there will be an appropriate allocation for the U19 teams, competing at worlds. The Boomers and Opals will have a smaller allocation this year, reflecting the smaller program they have. Next year, that money will be heavily oriented towards them again. Generally the ASC will not let you hold too much over from year to year, so you can't necessarily "save it" too much from year to year.

And finally, the Oceania series is probably being treated how it should be, given two teams from Oceania are going to Spain, and this tournament only decides ranking. There are six teams in preliminary pools, which is the same as the Olynpics, except that there are four pools in Spain and two at the OG. Top four qualify. If we cannot make top sixteen, regardless of seeding, then we are in deep trouble anyway. Even a higher ranking does not mean you end up in a better pool, because its not as though oceania gets four teams and therefore guaranteed to have its best team in the weakest pool - just does not work that way.

As Paul said, the quid pro quo should be a better lead in next year, and that is likely to happen.

Reply #426801 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

fair point, However seeing as they seem to have a set number of zone champions in each group, and then people who qualify by other means.. it would be in our interest to be one of 3-4 zone champions meaning we dont get an extra one from elsewhere in our group. Another spain or greece or something... Could be the difference between us having 2 "easy beats"... or just 1

Reply #426802 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

^ incorrect

a lot more than 100k per team was taken by BA. My estimate is close to $6 million over the last 3 years.

No voting rights ever eventuated despite the NBL being told it was a significant share holder and influencer of outcomes. Ask an NBL stakeholder if they have ever been shown the financials of BA.

BA took money from the owners including all of the sponsorship and broadcast revenues and kept them. Sure some was spent on the NBL but why would revenue that exists because of the NBL not be reinvested into the NBL.

Why were revenues sent to the AIS, WNBL, OPALS and Boomers from the NBL's proprietary generation.

Reply #426804 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Panther.. offensively Julian Khazzouh is ok, but he is a bit thin... not agressive and too crap a defender for international Basketball... plus I think he is persuing playing for Lebanon. He would always have a better shot at making that team then Australia..

Reply #426805 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

FYI, that is a whole series of claims you simply cannot substantiate. The stuff you are suggesting is such a breach of good governance that it would have been very public long before now.

BA is a not for profit limited company - reporting to ASIC as do many others. Any voting stakeholder has the rights to see the financials, prepared against appropriate accounting principles. My understanding of the voting structure post merger was 40% NBL clubs/60% states.

As for $6m, maybe that is the case. But someone here quoted the NZ CEO as saying the clubs paid a $100,000 pa membership-type fee to BA. We all know that the clubs then paid equalisation and other monies to BA - but that is to be expected.

As for taking all the sponsorship and TV money I would struggle to believe that this was the case without a massive outcry from the clubs after year one.

Reply #426807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

too much focus on guys that WON'T or MIGHT play for us such as khazzouh,maker,Irving,bogut,jawai and Bose lets forget about them and work on who is available for 2014 WC.

Reply #426808 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

and FYI, you might want to read the constitution, which clarifies some of what I have just said...

http://basketball.net.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Attachments/2011/Constitution_BA_Limited_July_2009.pdf

Remember, BA is not one of the sports that has had its governance questioned by the ASC. Some others have been heavily reviewed.

and searching the ASIC company register, and paying $37.00, will get you the financials submitted in 2013. I am sure a big, grown up NBl club could have done that themselves if they needed to access some financial data to get things rolling....

Reply #426813 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

If you take out both Jawai and Bogut, and acknowledge Andersons age... we start looking a bit weak at center... and for that reason I understanbd Luke Nevills emergence

Reply #426814 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

cough Baynes cough

Reply #426816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis is world uni games coach aa stacks withdrew

Reply #426817 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I knew Baynes Mystro. lol. But I mean thats only really 1 center good enough, + nevill... then you got to look at Aleks Maric and I would really prefer not to go down that road!

Reply #426818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What other centres are emerging? We didn't have anyone on under 19 team, maker is years away if at all and Darcy Malone is a raw prospect. That leaves nevill and maric Ogilvy is more a 4. We are well placed in other positions

Reply #426825 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Is Daniel Johnson Lebanese?

Reply #426826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He might as well be had he lived up to his potential there would be a spot for him, the only upside is he's only 25 hopefully joey wright can work with him

Reply #426828 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

"only" 25? Thats pretty much half way through a pro basketball career... He would want to make some leaps and bounds pretty soon most retire from international basketball round 30

Reply #426829 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A lot of big men dont really hit their straps until mid 20s.

Reply #426830 | Report this post

Badassmofo  
Years ago

I hope Ben Simmonsis selected to play. Yes i realise he is only 16 but deserves a spot on the roster.

Reply #426836 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I wonder, whether the people who say which kids deserve spots on the roster.. have ever seen them play (outside of a few highlights). There as such thing as straight up not being ready...

Reply #426839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum is ready now. The end.

Reply #426841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youknowme

Reply #426842 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Talent, yes... dbut is he physically strong enough not to get knocked around at the next level?

Reply #426843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is a good question I think the next 12 months will decide that

Reply #426845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And finally, the Oceania series is probably being treated how it should be, given two teams from Oceania are going to Spain, and this tournament only decides ranking

Have you seen the ticket prices BA are charging for the Canberra game?

Reply #426856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Newley is expected to make himself available for this series and I'm expecting a big series from him. Coming off a pretty good season in Spain and his club have just re-signed him for next season.

Reply #426859 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Brad Newley still has all the potential in the world. If he finds his 3 pointer he is one of our best players

Reply #426861 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

YouknowME, you're getting yourself all bent out of shape about seeding at the World Cup? It truly is not that important.

paul has got it right, as usual. Lemanis is deliberately keeping preparation short for two reasons;
1) In an attempt to get all our best players involved
2) To save costs, of which any savings will be put towards next international season which will involve a lot of travel. As paul mentioned, hopefully we can get two overseas tours in prior to the World Cup. A lot of people often complain about the Boomers lack of preparation, so Lemanis is seeking to address that.

And the Sino-Aus series, and now World Uni games absolutely have their place in this process. In fact, with the creation of the 'Emerging' Boomers program, I would say that they are more valuable than ever.

Reply #426869 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

On second thought, is there even 'seeding' anymore? In 2010 weren't the 24 teams randomly drawn to create four groups of six?

Reply #426876 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I believe there is seeding, but it means squat. In 2006 we were the number one seeds but ended up with the Euro champs (Greece), Americas champs (Brazil), Lithuania and Turkey in the toughest group in the tournament.

NZ got Argentina, Germany, Angola, Panama and Japan!

Reply #426878 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I agree. The World Cup is going to be bloody tough regardless where you end up. And initial seeding (whatever it might be) is not really going to help when it comes down to the four groups being merged into two, and then the resulting crossover games at the end of the second round.

Reply #426881 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Come on guys, if Khazzouh was willing to play for Australia then I would put him in the side.

"offensively Julian Khazzouh is ok, but he is a bit thin... not agressive and too crap a defender for international Basketball..."

In the 2010-2011 season Khazzouh averaged 17.4 points, 10 rebounds and 1.8 blocks and was runner up in the MVP voting to Ervin. Don't know how you can say he is just ok.

And to say he won't make the side because he doesn't play defence? He averaged 1.8 blocks so that shows he plays a little bit of defence.
And to put things into perspective, Mills is a terrible defender!!!
Who has been Australia's most successful player internationally, Andrew Gaze...Terrible defender!!!

A lot of teams play zones so you can get away with one average defender. Have solid team defensive properties and he will be fine out there.

But that's just my opinion.

Reply #426898 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ill have to disagree with you then Panther. For mine the Kings didnt miss him at all because while he was good at getting numbers, he didnt do the things that helped the team win and he was a liability at the defensive end.

He has lots of talent, but so do a lot of Aussie big men these days, we are pretty blessed.

Reply #426902 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Khazzouh WAS willing to play for Australia. He played in the China series prior to London just last year. In reality though, he's not in our top five big men, therefore he is not guaranteed anything with the Boomers. Whereas with Lebanon, he'll likely play whenever he wants to.

Reply #426906 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Although Khazzouh has still not been cleared to play for Lebanon yet!

Reply #426916 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

That's true LC, and the deadline for Lebanon to announce their 12-man squad for the Asian championship is July 12th, so it's not looking good!

Reply #426927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully national pride will encourage some of our better players to play in NZ series though admittedly we could send a c team over and still win.

Reply #426951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Khazzouh have to be cleared, he hasn't played at an official tournament?

Reply #426958 | Report this post

Angry  
Years ago

Maybe the Uni games team will play the New Zealand series. Then it would be fair to say the preparation has been pretty good?

Reply #427012 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

The uni games team will probably provide the core. yeah..

Reply #427020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah maybe keep the top half dozen players then add in gliddon,goulding,exum and Simmons could have a team that should win series

Reply #427021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be half the London team with half the Sino team.

Reply #427071 | Report this post

Angry  
Years ago

Simmons isn't even close to playing at senior international level yet... Exum not ready either. Both should be key boomers one day though.

Reply #427072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons and Exum future boomers you might be right angry :-D

Reply #427077 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:45 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754