Happy Days
Years ago

Sydney Kings add import guard Charles Carmouche

http://www.sydneykings.com/article/id/uyc8n8ged8k81xgb9vs2ht2e9

All import back court....not much up the front though???

Topic #32134 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the imports are both good, could be a good move, and i guess they are relying on Hill or Garlepp to step up at the pf spot, at worse they can probably split the minutes ok and of Ogilvy is as good as he should be that would probably be an ok big man rotation.

Ogilvy/Allen
Garlepp/Hill
Madgen/Harvey
Carmouche/White
Sanders/Gleeson/Armour

Not a horrible team, starting 5 is very good, will depend on how good Ogilvy is and how well guys like Hill, Harvey, Garlepp go.

Reply #427127 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The Kings are going to get absolutely manhandled on the boards every game.

Reply #427130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure about that lineup I can see them and Townsville missing playoffs

Reply #427132 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I suppose they had to get a replacement for Madgen but they are very light on in rebounding.

Reply #427134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Extremely soft frontcourt

Reply #427135 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The rebounding won't be a glaring weakness if Heal coaches them properly. Their smaller guys can rebound don't forget, Heal should use them. They need to vastly change their defensive structures to pull it off though. I can see Ogilvy playing 35 minutes per.

Reply #427139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Ogilvy can grab atleast 8-10 rebounds and Garlepp and Hill atleast 5 each they shouldnt be too bad on the boards,

I think alot will depend on Ogilvy, if he is a beast and rebounds and defends inside well they could do really well, if he turns out to be a bit soft and not rebound and defend inside well they will really struggle, im hoping he does well as it will be great for the league to have an athletic beast big man.

Reply #427141 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The other option is cut one of the imports and replace with a big import. Im sure thats in the back of their mind if they get smashed on the boards.

Reply #427146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hill doesn't rebound! Very poor in this area of his game.

Reply #427148 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think you'll see Ogilvy grab closer to five a game.

Reply #427149 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Hill is a good rebounder, anon.

Reply #427150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh ok, havnt seen much of Ogilvy, was just expecting/ hoping he would be atleast a 15-20 pts, 8-10 rebounds type guy.

Are people expecting more like 10-15 pts 5 rebounds?

Reply #427151 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah, Hill is one of the best rebounding guards in the league.

Reply #427155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carmouche the douche - on a serious note, the front court is positively effeminate.

Reply #427157 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I would expect Ogilvy to average 16 points and 5-7 rebounds. 20 and 10 is a bit much. He is very poor on the defensive glass and is renowned for being soft.

Reply #427158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh i didnt realise the soft reputation, i was hoping he was more Aaron Baynes a hard nut who could dominate inside.

Reply #427160 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He is absolutely nothing like Aaron Baynes.

He has post moves and plays inside, ie. he's not a stretch big, but he's very much in the "finesse" camp.

Reply #427162 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Sanders is meant to be a good rebounding guard, Hill is good on the boards... I think they will cover there bases one way or another. Ogilvy will be alright for them... but Sydney has the weakest bench in the league I think.

Reply #427167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok yea, thanks Mick dont know heaps about Ogilvy, look forward to seeing how he goes, atleast i know what to expect now.

Reply #427174 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

AJ might have had that reputation early, but a few seasons OS playing against tougher opposition would have hardened him up. His clips show him as a tough worker around the basket with a nice touch, making the most of offensive rebounds and can get up nicely to stuff it down. I think you'll be surprised if you go into a game thinking that he's going to be a soft beat...

Hill and Garlepp will have more opportunity to get more boards with a bit more room as they're good hustlers, at least Hill has been against us in the past. Good to get to the basket, get those extra chances. I think with a starting role, Garlepp will relish and feed off that opportunity and as said above, Sanders is a very good rebounding guard (finished 5th all-time at his college?) and seeing how we've gotten beat on all those long rebounds, hopefully this will be a good hole to fill.

I'm not under the influence of any rose coloured glasses that we're going to blitz it by any means, just trying to point some things out that might be being bandied about... Our bench isn't the deepest, so we're going to rely on certain players stepping up and playing above expectations. If any coach can get Allen to play better, I think it's Hammer, how much better? I have no idea... I'll be more than happy for them to keep chasing Motum though, if his NBA dream doesn't work out. We still have the room under the points cap and looking at the team, should certainly still have the room under the salary cap as well...

As for Carmouche... Looks like he can shoot, but his highlight reel disguises his stats where he was averaging only 1.6-4.4 3PM/A in his final year at LSU. We're going to need him to be better than that and the pressure will really be on him. A good thing is that he's had to shuffle around throughout high school and college, so hopefully he can settle in quicker and adjust to the different way the game is played over here, which is always the deciding factor with new imports...

Reply #427205 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

A few seasons overseas might have toughen him up if he'd got onto the court a bit more.

Reply #427268 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

AJAR that is. I expect he'll be getting plenty of minutes with the Kings since he is really their only player with genuine size so I hope he is tougher or the Kings are going to be monstered in the paint.

Reply #427270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 colleges in 5 years not a great sign.

Reply #427328 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think you'll see them struggle like Townsville did with their roster full of guards last season

Reply #427335 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

3 colleges in 5 years not a great sign.

If you look at WHY he had three colleges (first college was going to re-rate back to Div III and then he wanted to finish career with his dream school growing up) then I think it's a bit more acceptable, even though it's not often seen...

As for all the guards, I know what Boti is saying, but Madgen was played at the 3 a lot last season, so while Sanders, Gleeson and Carmouche are all strictly guards, that SF position is still also fairly well served with both Madgen and Harvey spending time there last season (which I wasn't a fan of, as defensively, they got beat a lot and more pressure on Madge to defend bigger players to take his energy from the offensive end) and also Hill now adding some depth, who then fills out some time at the 4 as well, with Garlepp starting at the 4, maybe needing to fill in at the 5, but with AJ being able to move to the 4 if (God forbid) Allen actually starts to be productive, I think while still thin, it might be ok... But as D4444 says, a lot rests on AJ being tougher than his old reputation would give him credit for...

Reply #427343 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think you'll see them struggle like Townsville did with their roster full of guards last season

I think some of Townsvilles trouble was their whinge factor as well, especially PC... It didn't take much for them to look beaten mentally, so when it came to hustling up physically, they just didn't have it. I doubt Hammer will be allowing the same lapses...

Reply #427344 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So much will come down to Garlepp and Hill. Can they both play the PF role Heal has for them well enough to complement the main guys? Potentially they both can.

Thing is, this team is built on a lot of 'ifs'. If they come together they will be a very competitive unit. Heal got a lot out of last year's roster, but I just wouldnt be sitting easy right now if I was a Kings fan.

I would like to see them add Dumovic to the roster. He has shown a bt for the Emerging Boomers and would put pressure on Allen to perform or move aside.

Reply #427346 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agree wookie, hammer since arriving in sydney has always got his guys to play hard. Mental softness was as much of a problem as the guard-heavy rotation for townsville last year. I honestly think he might be able to get something out of Ben Allen too.

Reply #427355 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Agree Paul... I'm not overly pleased with how things have gone from a very promising season to a pre-season of doubt, and while we will very much need our bigger names to step up, as I've said before, I think the difference will be how our bench and role players perform, needing them to go above and beyond on a very regular basis. I think they're capable, but other teams have gotten better, so it will be a task both mentally and physically...

Dumovic has had some handy games for the Gunners, either rebounding well or scoring well at the least, if not both... Has he been on International duty since June? Just turning 20, I wonder if he would be ok with a DP position to start with. It would be reassuring to have another big body as back up though, if only to fill in when foul trouble hits... Being able to groom another local boy would be good too... The thing though with quality bigs that you'd want on your team is that they're probably too good for a DP spot but just not quite good enough to warrant a full time spot... There's a few local bigs that would be great to have but wouldn't get the benefit out of a DP spot...

I honestly think he might be able to get something out of Ben Allen too.

This is really the biggest IF of them all and if it works out I think will pay big dividends. It's just a case of whether or not his NBL results in comparison to QBL/SEABL have been a matter of lack of heart, or lack of proper minutes/being used properly...

Either way, looking very much forward to the pre-season!

Reply #427361 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's definitely not minutes. Allen has started many games for the Crocs over the past two seasons. It's a lack of heart, core strength and mental focus.

Reply #427363 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's been mentioned before that since he's so big he's being used as a banger inside but we've all seen that he prefers to jack it up from outside, I wonder if that's just his natural game as didn't he play an outside game more at St Mary's? I guess that's where the lack of heart comes into it as a guy that size, you expect him to be attacking the basket and pulling down a bunch of rebounds, etc...

It will be interesting to see if we can get that sort of game out of him (which we need) or whether it will be another frustrating season for him and Kings fans...

Sidenote: It's disappointing that Burston was still available for maybe a large portion of the time that we knew that Crosswhite needed to be replaced and on very similar points to Allen... He could have been a very handy pick up if he could stay healthy... Ah well...

Reply #427378 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

It's not often that I'm in 100% agreement with Boti but I think his assessment is spot on:
http://www.botinagy.com/blog/kings-on-guard-for-new-season/

Reply #427410 | Report this post

CokeNoJoke  
Years ago

First, I want to congratulate my lil brother Charles "Boss" Carmouche on signing with this team. Next, I want to thank the coach on his choice. Charles may not be the best in the league. But, with the help of his teammates, his family and the whole city of new orleans support, I'm certain that GOD will make a way for him to accomplish his goals. I then wish him the best in his future. He is destined to be GREAT at whatever God send his way.

Reply #432948 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I wonder how many player points God would be...

Reply #433044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it's the Vatican Bank doing the number crunching we can safely say he would be an 11 in a 1-10 point system.

Reply #433050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how many player points God would be...

Who cares about points... can Xe dunk?

Reply #433086 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754