RIP Metro
Years ago

Maybe first - SAC beat SAM U16 Nationals

Well I stand to be corrected but I hear SA country beat SA metro in the U/16 Nationals !!!!

I'm not 100% sure but I think this maybe a first in the boys comp ever ?????
Pretty sad that basketball in the boys has lowered itself to this!!!!
Is country that good, is metro that bad,was it a lucky game or is it the coaches fault?
It seems pretty quiet on here,which is unusual but I think some questions need to be asked?

RIP BSA

Topic #32152 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

has happened before, country can be good

Reply #427482 | Report this post

????  
Years ago

Not too sure when it has happened before in the mens programme?
Is this the end for Neil and the nepatism club or is this a bright new future for Country ?
Lord have mercy
Basketball in SA is in so much trouble :(
I don't want to hear excuses of population etc, i think it is more to do with same old people same old ideas and not progressing with new innovative ideas like the rest of Aust, we are way behind the eight ball and i think Shirl Straun is probably more up to date Living in the 70's than Neil living in the ????? 50's

Reply #427486 | Report this post

Hopeless  
Years ago

Maybe Leigh Scott can save the program lol

Reply #427488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has a lot to do with the rubbish Offense they are running!

Reply #427489 | Report this post

elementary watson  
Years ago

girls are having their best year for some time in both medal matches

Reply #427496 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

Good to see you've for your premise wrong. The last time 16 Nationals was in Adelaide country beat metro. And have at least one other time.

Oh, and the girls have done very well. Same coach. Same program. Maybe look at what the clubs are producing first. Girls groups did well at classics and 2 years ago in 14s, boys did not.

Reply #427502 | Report this post

Soooo let me see, it's Neil's fault the boys are terrible but nothing to do with him that the girls are in the Gold medal game.
I guess if you dislike someone enough, you can always find a way to twist an argument to place the blame on them.

The boys team is very slow and if they can't beat their man one on one then the Dribble Drive offence is going to fail.

Very interesting to note the amount of Post play being used by NSW (Metro playing Country in the Gold medal game) and Vic Metro.

Reply #427504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if its the two Coaches fault (still can't work out who is Head Coach and who is assistant) then who is to blame for appointing them?

Reply #427505 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

Or it is the clubs fault for not producing good enough players in the boys even though they are in the girls.

The only major difference is that the girls competition only have 8 teams. 3 of which are very good. While the boys comp has 10 teams. Two of which are good where the majority of the players come from.

Maybe food for thought there for BSA.

Reply #427508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Club's could do more if BSA didn't run all the local comps and take all the revenue. Should go back to clubs so they can invest in recruitment and development, so Sturt can poach their best kids and still complain that no one else can provide any quality competition.

Reply #427510 | Report this post

Bluey  
Years ago

Don't you think that if clubs had their own full time director of coaching that their players wouldn't look to move to sturt. I don't recall to many Forestville or Norwood player moving there. And I understand that both of these clubs get move kids transferring in than sturt even do. Funny that BSA haven't worked out it might the best way to stop sturt by getting enough revenue into clubs so they all can have someone full time.

Reply #427511 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Has definitely happened before - I remember 5 years ago now or so in the 16s boys

SA country defeated SA Metro
NSW country defeated NSW metro
Vic country defeated Vic Metro

Reply #427514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need someone independent of BSA and the clubs reviewing the structure of the competition and our elite program. I took my son out to training once and the coach asked what they had been doing at the old SASI. He went through the drills etc and the coach commented that they were almost identical to what he was doing when he went through SASI. Has there been no developments in the past 20 years??

Also it is supposed to be an elite program? Elite potential players training against and with other elite potential players. Our program us watered down by having athletes out there who will never be an elite basketballer. How can everyone improve if there is a push to have quantity not quality out there. Hiw can you say a player is elite when he is playing div 2 and can't crack it into an average div 1 team.

The whole program needs a major overhaul. The results on the boys side prove that!

Reply #427515 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

What do the results of the girls program prove?

Reply #427517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"RIP Metro", I understand why you want to gloat about SA Country beating Metro (not that SAC boys have been very good either) but get your facts right. This has happened quite a few times over the years and is nothing out of the ordinary.

SAM have a poor group of boys this year, so what? It happens. SAC have a poor group of boys nearly every year.

Reply #427519 | Report this post

RIP Metro  
Years ago

I did say I stand to be corrected :)
My apologies for having a life and not being a complete basketball tragic
I do agree country are normally bad, metro are normally a lot better
If the clubs are at fault for not supplying good players it looks like for metro sturt and west must be failing and for country Mavs and southern must be excelling as I believe in these teams this is where the bulk of the kids are from
Basketball is all about basic fundamentals that haven't changed over the years, but playing and coaching have evolved over the years and it seems SA are stuck in a time warp

Reply #427528 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

How do you explain the girls results?

Reply #427532 | Report this post

RIP Metro  
Years ago

They did well, different coaching, different game plans strategy etc

Reply #427533 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

So how are they stuck in a time warp if they have done so well?

Reply #427545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

people let it go.

Haters will hate and probably with good reason.

Supporters will back up NG and Co out of respect and stability.

BSA will continue to pretend everything is fine.

Nothing will change.

Reply #427546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe we will get more players playing if the cost wasn't so high. It is much cheaper for parents to have their children playing football, soccer, tennis etc. Just to attend these championships as a player costs more than $2k in your home state.

Reply #427564 | Report this post

elementary watson  
Years ago

let me guess - average persons blue ray $250, flat screen $500-1,000, lounge $750-1,500.

you cant tell me a youths involvement isn't worth paying for compared to other things you spend your money on ?

everything costs - and you only get what you pay for.

Reply #427570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats cheap flatscreens

Reply #427579 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I would have thought to play for your state, the state government would subsidise cost? What cost are people paying to equal $2000?

Reply #427601 | Report this post

RIP Metro  
Years ago

hey king James
you've got to be dreaming

Reply #427623 | Report this post

elementary watson  
Years ago

there is some argument to playing for state and some sort of subsidy - considering moneys splashed elsewhere - but then anyone who represented SA in some form would look for assistance

Reply #427624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol shows how very little KingJames knows about basketball.. He is the first to belittle any nbl basketballer like a true keyboard warrior yet has no clue about the game! As per his dumb statement above!

Reply #427625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What 20 years ago they were teaching the jumpshot?
And today they are still teaching the jumpshot!

20 years has passed and they still teach kids to shoot at SASI how outdated!

Check club results boys/girls from previous u14 nationals any you will find girls are still quite competitive regular top 4 results. The last boys team to finish top 4 at the nationals if I recall correctly was 4 or 5 years ago.

The symptom is poor results at u16 nationals.
The actual problem is lack of quality at the u14 and u12 levels.

Reply #445235 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:37 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754