Mystro
Years ago

NZ NBL Final: Nelson vs Southland

The Nelson Giants beat the Otago Nuggets to book a place in today's NZ NBL Final against the Southland Sharks who took out the Wellington Saints in their Semi.

The giants have Vukona, Phil Jones, Pace & Bloxham and the Sharks have TeRangi, Braswell, Henry & Conklin.

Topic #32159 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Will be a perfect chance for Crocs fans to tune in and see their two imports for next season, if you can find a stream.

Reply #427641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone got a link for the live stats?

Reply #427677 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Southland up at the half 59-35.

Nelson playing some pretty average D.

Reply #427680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Josh pace will be the first import cut next season

Reply #427684 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Weekend was bit of joke and embarassing really.

Scheduling the event for Napier was stupid. Banking on them making the playoffs was stupid.

One side of the stadium had 0 people. Other bleacher was 2/3rds people.

Henry getting MVP over Conklin was also stupid.

Scrap the final four fornat and go to 3 game final series.

Happy Southland won though. Happy for Pauli. Was going for them this w.e.

Reply #427688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know a link to the video of the grandfinal if its hosted anywhere?

Is it likely to be uploaded over the next couple of days?

Reply #427718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just saw Tait won the league MVP, what does he have to do to get into the NBL? does he have any off court troubles or anything stopping him?

he is defiantly good enough to be a back up pg at least, just wondering why no one signs him?

Reply #427719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His last season in the NBL (2010/11) Lindsay Tait averaged 2.8ppg (35.5% FG, 6.3% 3p) 1.3rpg, 1.2apg, 1.2topg in 24 games with Cairns. They passed on re-signing him for the 2011/12 season.

He tried out with Cairns & Wollongong before the start of last season but didn't make either team.

Reply #427721 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Josh Pace went missing in the first half before coming alive in the second. Can only go to his left.

Conklin played ok

I was more impressed with how 25yo 6.10 Ranga Gareth Dawson played. Got a hand to plenty of offensive rebounds tipping them to team mates and hitting the open Jays at the top of the key.

Reply #427733 | Report this post

Anon fail  
Years ago

His last full season he averaged 8.4 points and 2.8 assists as a backup. Before last season he was offered a contract by Cairns and had contract discussions with one other club but the money didn't come close to matching his full time deal with the then Auckland Pirates and didn't make it worth his while moving his family.

Reply #427735 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Lindsay had tons of turnovers in their semi loss to the sharks. The Giants young duo of Bloxham and Ruscoe both struggled with Braswells hands in the passing lanes in their loss in the Final also.

Reply #427738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Braswell got nz citizenship yet? He would be another one that id like to see back in the NBL, clubs dont seem interested in him as a import though, but would be a good signing as a NZer.

Reply #427740 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

No Braswell is still playing as an import.
He would be great value as a local and injuries have hampered his shot at playing NBL again as an import.

Reply #427746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he still trying to get citizenship? I thought he was close last season when the Tigers signed him.

Reply #427747 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

he is still trying I believe, hence why he was not invited to the Tall Blacks trials.

Reply #427749 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Tait won't get a gig back in the NBL ahead of a few SEABL PG's...he didn't quite cut it last time he had an NBL gig so i think his chances are over.

Reply #427750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know he struggled in Cairns, but wasnt he just coming off a knee reconstruction and playing behind Ubaka, so probably not asked to do alot or given huge minutes.

but prior to that i thought his contribution was solid/good, not a star, but definitely good enough to be in the league imo, would be better than many of the back ups going around, or atleast as good. But i guess people do remember the last form and may have decided to go for other options even though Tait may be the better overall player.

I actually reckon Tait would do atleast aswell as Cadee, who is atleast a strong back up point guard.

I guess he may want more to relocate from NZ than a local Aussie who if playing behind a import will almost give you as much, so not worth the extra costs for the club and also probably a higher points rating than some of them aswell.

Pity, this is why id love to see an extra NZ team aswell as Brisbane and/or Melbourne 2nd team to get more of the good players playing NZ/SEABL a spot in the NBL to show there stuff, many are atleast good enough to be solid rotation guys imo and a few will turn out to be great finds. The more guys in the NBL the better imo.

Reply #427752 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I think Tate is on the same level as the better local SEABL PG's - Macdonald etc...so unlesshe wants to play cheap not sure why you'd bring him in...also how old is he?

Reply #427753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i reckon thats a fair assessment of Tait, McDonald is another i would love to have seen given a regular NBL gig along the way, if there were an extra couple of teams we may have imo, i reckon there have been worse play in the NBL, but he is also a teacher isnt he so probably not willing to play NBL for minimum given he would make better money teaching and playing SEABL, another pity as some of these guys would do really well in the NBL imo.

Yea id say Tait would cost more than a Shaun Gleeson, Tom Daly type given he would have to relocate from NZ, his impact he would have over these guys may not be significant enough to warrent the extra cost, but if he was willing to play for the same money and points cap wasnt an issue id take him over these guys, but yea i guess the clubs dont see the point in paying him more than say Daly would cost, which is probably fair enough given Daly would be good enough and most clubs start import pgs who play the bulk of the game anyway.

I guess this proves that there is good enough talent around to fill another roster or 2 if the NBL can get a few more clubs up and going.

Reply #427754 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Also with Daly possibly growing into a role and being able to re-sign him early at the lower points would make him a steal if you put the time into developing him.

Reply #427797 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754