Isaac
Years ago

Crocs sign Vanderjagt as 10th man

When Vanderjagt, 29, and a free agent who previously played with the Crocs from 2004-08, is confirmed, new coach Shawn Dennis will have completed his full roster.

At point guards he will have Steve Markovic and Mitch Norton, his off guards will be Peter Crawford and Mirko Djeric, with his small forwards, import Josh Pace and burgeoning talent Todd Blanchfield.

Import Brian Conklin - who on Saturday led Southland Sharks to the NZNBL title - and Jacob Holmes, have the power forward slots covered.

And Russell Hinder now will have back-up from Vanderjagt in the centre.
Full story

Where does this leave the Crocs ins and outs from last season? Lost Nevill, Ervin and a couple of Cedars? Gained Markovic, two NZ NBL imports, Vanderjagt, Djeric? Who else left?

Topic #32167 | Report this topic

YouknowME  
Years ago

not a terrible line up but yeah... kind of wish crawford would hurry up and retire.

Reply #427794 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Wow Vanderjagt?? Good on him for still having a crack...that said is they were heading in the older big guy direction thought maybe Simon Conn could have got a look....he has turned back the clock in SEABL this year.

Haven't seen Vanderjagt play for a few years thou and only watched Conn twice tis year so maybe Vanderjagt has improved.

Reply #427795 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

says vanderjagts only 29?

Reply #427796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a good signing when you consider he is a 4pt player. Leaves 4 pt available for someone like Dowdell?

Reply #427800 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Whos going to play the 5?

Reply #427801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vanderjagt born 1984.

Reply #427803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

In: Josh Pace*, Brian Conklin*, Steve Markovic, Marko Djeric, Greg Vanderjagt

Out: Gary Ervin*, Luke Nevill, Michael Cedar, Chris Cedar, Ben Allen, Brendan Teys

Reply #427804 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Very sad it had to get to this. Rusty is not absolutely hopeless, but still it's definitely the worst frontcourt in the league.

Reply #427805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there still room for Dowdell or Horvath type to join as 11th man, i doubt either would be high in points cap?

If they go with Hinder and Vanderjagt as C, they will likely play a fair bit of small ball with Conklin and Holmes playing a bit of C, worked ok for Dusty at times at a similar size, if not slightly smaller, but will make it tough if say the 36ers can get Schenscher and/or Johnson going at the offensive end though.

Reply #427806 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see how they use their lineups. If Russell Hinder starts at centre I will literally go insane.

Hinder and Vanderjagt are both end of the roster calibre guys, so they are both going to have a massive burden on their shoulders being asked to deliver regular minutes. Ideally you'd really only have one of the two on your roster as a backup to a proper starting-calibre centre.

Low, low, loooooow budget team.

If they aren't competitive though, make no mistake, they won't be in the league for 14/15. The Townsville public won't support a losing season after last year's mess, and if they can't win the crowds will stay low and the franchise will die.

Sadly I think the Crocs will really struggle. The frontcourt is worse than last year's and it was our biggest weakness last year.

Reply #427807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a thought re the 'wish Crawford would retire comment', if he had or the Crocs had let him go, would that had opened enough points and money to realistically grab say Luke Neville, ie if they basically offered Crawfords wage to Neville would he take it?

Especially given they signed Pace a sf/sg import, they could have let Crawford go and signed Neville,

But not sure Neville would have come for the same price which is probably why they didnt do this.

So not sure you would really get that much a better roster if PC did retire, sure you could spend a bit more on the imports perhaps, maybe even kept Ervin but is that better than having PC + Pace? not sure will depend on how well Pace does, and i think he will be ok, average around 13 pts 5 rebounds.

Reply #427808 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

HAVING SAID THAT, if Dennis can get them hustling and scrapping you could see them overachieve and who knows what could happen. They are a great team at positions one through four, they just have two of the lesser centres in the league as their only options at the five.

Reply #427809 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It all depends on how much PC is on, anon. Last season he was the most overpaid guy in the league, if he's on anywhere near that money this year than yes we are much better without him and having a proper centre.

Reply #427810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their weakness is obvious. Alot of how they go depends on what they get from Pace and Conklin, it will help if pc can turn back clock and show the form that got him into the olympics

Reply #427811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would there be a chance of a Hudson or Rickert being signed if Pace or Conklin struggle in pre-season?

Would they be better off grabbing say Rickert or Hudson for Conklin and starting Holmes at PF and signing say Dowdell as his back up instead of the Hinder/Vanderjagt C rotation?

Reply #427814 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yes, anon they probably are, basketball wise. Holmes is more than capable of starting but I think this vanderjagt announcement has shown they didnt have the money to sign a proven nbl import like hudson in the first place. This roster at a rough rough guess is probably only 3/4 of the salary cap.

Hopefully dennis can get them playing tough and hard and over achieving. And at positions 1-4 they are as goof as any team in the league.

sadly it also highlights the lack of parity in this league when you have a team with a salary cap surplus the size of a fringe nba level talent's asking price

Reply #427817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would Rickert be out of there price range??

It may work ok with the smaller line up but unlikely to be a great team, i remember in around 2004 the 36ers pf/c line up was based around Holmes, Rychart, Forman, i think Hawkes or someone similar was the 4th big, similar size guys to the Crocs have (if not smaller) and they came around 8th in a 12 (?) team league, and made the playoffs not a horrible season but not great either.

I think that was the season when Rogers left at the last minute and they were still over the cap so could only sign Rychart at min salary to replace him, which left them undersized.

The 36ers grabbed Rees and Cooper the following year to split the minutes, so i guess the Crocs may look for a better C next year if possible.

Definatly a budget team, but better than having no team, im actually excited to see how Pace, Conklin, Markovic, Blanchfield, Djeric, Norton go this season, some real potential with those guys, and i think Holmes and Crawford will be ok like last year.

The crocs despite having this major flaw in C spot actually excite me more than some of the other rosters, i think part of it is the unknowns of how good Markovic still is, how the imports will go, but i also think they will play a fairly attractive style of basketball, so would definitely encourage Crocs fans to watch even if they do lose alot.

If Conklin is Dusty 2.0 and Holmes can dominate the board average say 10 rebounds and play a bit smarter and a bit more inside than usual, it may be better than we are expecting.

What would your starting 5 be? despite being grossly undersized id go with Markovic, Crawford, Blanchfield, Holmes, Conklin, with Norton backing up pg, pace backing up sg/sf, Hinder/Vanderjagt splitting the back up pf/c minutes.

Reply #427818 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

When you see teams needing to resort to players like russel hinder, vanderjagt, ben allen, keeping PC... you realise the league simply COULD NOT SUPPORT MORE TEAMS!!!!!!!

Reply #427826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league needs 3-4 more teams to give all the young talent a go. It had five more in 2008 with Vanderjagt and Hinder in the league and it was fine on court.

YouKnowMe = YouKnowNothing

Reply #427828 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Well if there was all this young talent they wouldnt be resorting to Vanderjagt and Hinder. NEWS FLASH 2008 was 5 years ago.. Find me 3-4 more teams of young talent? where is this young talent? Here is an exercise for you... Name me just 10, 10 names of young talent that wants to be in the league RIGHT NOW and isnt already vying for Europe. Alright GO.... If I know nothing... show me that you know something I dont...

Reply #427831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a bit harsh to say our little mate youknowme knows nothing anon.

Reply #427834 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Well.. until he can name me a team full of new talent I am not sure what grounds he has to say that we could have 3-4!~

Reply #427837 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Mick- the word 'goof' would be better used describing the crocs 5 spot !

Reply #427847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is not in good shape

Reply #427850 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

No its in wonderful shape apparently. So much so that we can find another 3-4 teams of young talent. Stable teams that wont collapse full of young players better then Hinder and Vanderjagt. Someones been smoking too much pot.

Reply #427852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed youknowme anytime we get a decent Aussie he just ends up in Europe. Guys like goulding will end up overseas, guys like Cadee end up being NBL"stars". NBL was much better in the 90s

Reply #427865 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Dennis said vanderjagt will play a backup role like trueman, so surely he can't mean to start hinder at 5. Given that the Conklin signing is not official I wonder if Hudson or similar f/c import is going to be signed instead as a starting 5 and hinder to back up Holmes at 4.
With Pace at 6'5, holmes at 6'6 and blanchfield at 6'7 we don't really need another 6'6 forward, but are in desperate need of a starting quality centre. I'll go out on a limb and say Conklin won't sign and well get a 6'9 to 6'10 import instead.

Reply #427872 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Kr dont worry about all that mate. Because theres all these imaginary invisable players who can fill four teams that Anonymous created in his mind.

Reply #427886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@YouKnowMe. I was being tongue in cheek about you knowing nothing, should have used emoticons, apologise if I offended.

Firstly, saying that "keeping" Crawford in the league is a bad sign, a guy who was in the Olympic team less than 12 months ago, is a bit silly.

Secondly, I agree that a team starting an aging Russ Hinder at centre is in trouble in the middle.

Thirdly, as for the 4 new teams let's do some maths. Right now there are about 70 Aus/NZ players in the league. Amongst 12 teams that's about 6 per team. Add two imports and what you need is around 30 new players, mostly 2 players per team to fill out 9th and 10th spots.

Have 4 new teams and $4 million extra on the table each year and you will get some good players back from overseas and college and the rest you fill with top juniors, SEABL and NZNBL. Here is a list of 60-70 from which you could get those extra 30 players.

Herbert, Edwards, Duinker, Dumovic, Rush, Kickert, Prewster, Barlow, Maynard, George, Conn, Loe, C Cedar, Harms, Ruscoe, Jeka, Cameron, Andronicus, M Jones, Horvath, Bairstow, Weeks, Harris-Tunks, Carlin, Von Hofe, Tait, Dawson, T Webster, McDonald, B Dowdell, Wagner, B Smith, B Anderson, Lang, Broekhoff, Williams, Kench, Massey, Opacic, Henry, Carter, MacMillan, Bruce, Riley, Salt, L Martin, Louis, Bloxham, Lewis, Page, Cannan, Daly, M Cedar, Hussey, Fitzgerald, H Allen, Martin, Kenny, J Hill, Aldridge, Hodgson, Tomjonavich, Dillon, Bartlett, Smith-Milner, Majok, Brandt.

You can't seriously tell me clubs couldn't find a bunch of 9th and 10th men out of that list? You only need a few minutes if any from them. Sure some of them what work out but I'm equally sure there are some capable college players I have missed too.

Reply #427887 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

9th, 10th men yes... but U dont think it would further dillute the talent? I think that more teams might put the league in a financially worse state.

Reply #427888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It really depends where the teams are. If they bring in more viewers and sponsors (like Brisbane and Melbourne for example) then they will help the league finances.

You also wouldn't bring in all four teams at once, two next year, two another two years after that for example. There are definitely lots of players who can step in as lower roster players, and quite a few bench guys who could be starters and would probably cash in on their share of the extra $4 million.

Reply #427889 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I would take many of the players listed before Hinder/Allen/Vander actually. Whats going on with Majok? heard he was improving...

Reply #427891 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Possibly the worst nbl backcourt in the last 20 years, will struggle to score 25+ a game between all four players, but best of luck to Dennis and the Crocs. At least they are still in the comp.

Reply #427892 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

They are going to want to be a run/gun team and hope not to rely on posting up very much. I cant imagine them contending with adelaides frontcourt

Reply #427893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with you YouKnowMe, a number of young big men I would also take before them as reserve centres. I guess the issue is the only spots open right now with so few teams are $40,000 so those guys stay in college hoping they can command more when they graduate.

Reply #427896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the same they will struggle against Adelaide frontcourt, they will get mauled by Perth and NZ clearly the best two frontcourts in the league

Reply #427897 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Add three teams to the league and that's 30 playing spots. Six imports makes it 24. Some mid-range players move team to start elsewhere (their places filled by DPs) - let's say a couple per new team. 18 spots. Each team has a lowly SEABL newcomer as 10th man, so 15 spots.

Carter, Daly, Tait, Burdon, Bartlett, Lewis, Macmillan, Dowdell, Cedar, Cedar, D Williamson, B Williamson, Henry, Gynes, Bose, Herbert, Iti, Kendall, Sturt, Conn, Majok, L Martin, Bruce, Dillon, L Cooper, K Williams, D George. That's 27 and I don't know SEABL much. Add SEABL (McDonald) and DP types, etc. Or naturalising guys like Braswell, Horvath, Massingale, etc. All have a case to be in the league at some level.

And I didn't even have to list SoJ.

League overall dilutes talent slightly, but it's a 40 minute game where you could stick to a shorter rotation, plus the increased starting spots improves the chance of bringing back Barlow, Bose, Khazzouh, etc.

As Anon says, teams would come in gradually meaning more college graduates are available.

Reply #427899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL minimum salary is what about $40k that won't entice too many players.

Reply #427900 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

In a perfect world I would love to see expansion. But yeah, would wanna see the viability and the talent first. Hopefully someones making a play on Bairstow he could be real good in the league... Broekhoff would be alright too... I am actually beginning to think he might not be up to europe (yet)... who could fit in broekhoff right now?

Reply #427901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Each new team will only have one or two guys on the minimum salary, a few on middle salaries and a couple well over $100,000. That will entice a few.

Reply #427903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Majok is averaging around 9 & 7 in Belarus playing for Scott Christopherson's old team.

Reply #427905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You won't see the talent until you get it a chance to play.

Broekhoff would slot into the small forward position in his home town of Melbourne very nicely. However he does have European ancestry though so there are many jobs he could slot into nicely over there right away. It would be nice to see him play in Australia for a couple of years if he were so inclined.

Reply #427906 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Aussies to lure back:

David Anderson (getting old worth a try)
Matt Neilson (as above)
Joe Ingles (cant hurt his cause to come home, dominate the nbl... get real playing time and then go try out for NBA again in summer with real game experience)
David Barlow (said something about wanting to come back.. )
Ryan Broekhoff... Unsigned
Cam Baitstow (next year)
Matt Delevedova (have to ask the question)
Brock Motum... (who knows?)

Reply #427907 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Oh Majoks playing in christophersons old team? lol. Well, might wanna pass on him too...

Reply #427908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles won't come back as he can play as an Irishman in Europe. Most of the others are a chance if some owners dig deep into their league-controlling pockets.

I'm calling Broekhoff to Tigers right now. Let's start a Twitter campaign!

Reply #427910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ty McKee also played for that team...

Reply #427911 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I don't see why not, start the campaign... sometimes I think teams can be a bit blind to there options. Broekhoff is a good player, but hes obviously not NBA and might be a bit hard pressed for europe right now, make a play on him. I think he still has to prove himself, and heres as good a place as any

Reply #427913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is part Dutch so he will have no problems in Europe, need a good campaign to convince him home is better!

Reply #427914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the idea of Nielsen and Andersen coming home to finish their careers. I'm sure most teams will be making room for Bairstow

Reply #427920 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Guys, quit saying blokes with college eligibility left are recruiting targets. No one is leaving college early. No one.

As for the Crocs, here's hoping KR is right and Conklin is not our import (no knock on Conklin: he seems like a tough player that I'd love to have, but our starting 5 slot is screaming out for Will Hudson).

Vanderjagt, as I've said before, is slow as hell and not terribly skilled, but he works his ass off every possession. You can't say the same for most guys who play back up roles. Effort is very underrated in this league.

The one thing that stands out about this roster is that every looks like they are all going to be hard-working, team-first guys (with the exception of PC and Holmes, maybe, but hopefully they can prove me wrong and change their attitudes). At the very least, Shawn Dennis has a vision for the club, which has been lacking for a long time.

If indeed Conklin is our man, I would rather start Greg Vanderjagt over Rusty, and keep Rusty as veteran leadership off the bench. For one: age. Vandy is technically in his prime. I would rather see Rusty play fewer minutes to lighten the load on his aging body. Secondly: activity level. When Rusty starts and plays large minutes, his motor ticks over at a lower level. That's when you see the defensive lapses start to add up and you see him overthinking plays. When you bring him off the bench he plays harder in a more limited role and you get better per-minute production.

Like I said above, 1-4 we are good as anyone in the league. 5 is just shallow as a drying puddle.

That said, you look at teams like Sydney and Adelaide who have star power, but are a little "soft" at the five, and you think the Crocs could outhustle them (at a stretch).

Reply #427925 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Yeah mick, with our last position having the flexibility of being an import spot, I can't see why Dennis would paint us into a corner by signing a 3/4 import when those spots are covered. Put Hudson in the 5 spot and you have a much more balanced team, a great worker and offensive rebounder, someone who likes being in the paint and at 6'10 can match up with any centre in the nbl. Much better option IMO.

Reply #427928 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

from what I saw of Conklin he's kind of like a Rick Rickett only Vukona's size without Vukona's strength and athleticism (not saying he's weak but just not a beast).
He liked backing guys down on the block and then went to a fadeaway jumpshot.

This line up really is screaming for Will Hudsons size and mobility.

Reply #427929 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Especially because if you want to go small and agile without Conklin you can just as easily go:

Norton
Markovic
Pace
Blanchfield
Holmes

Or

Norton
PC
Pace
Blanchfield
Holmes

Or...

...a million other combos due to the versatility of guys like Markovic, Djeric, Norton, Pace, Blanchfield, Holmes who can all play at least two positions.

From what it looks like Conklin is going to be similar to Holmes except probably a weaker rebounder but a better offensive player (albeit with less range).

But if what it comes down to is that Hudson costs 100k+ and Conklin is only on 80k and that's all we can afford, well, then that’s all we can afford.

Reply #427930 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also the other thing about Conklin is that he will only be able to play one position and that's the 4. Way too small to play 5 even in a small ball lineup, and can't shoot so will be a liability at the three.

Hudson on the other hand can play the four or five, and is seemingly just a taller, better version of Conklin. To me it's a no brainer, assuming he could be had financially. It would just open up the lineup and give us way more options in terms of versatility. He is very mobile as well so can still be trotted out in "small" lineups as the anchor.

No. Brainer.

Reply #427931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assuming Hudson wants to play nbl again

Reply #427936 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Why wouldn't he?

His style of play is obviously effective here, and other than him being able to make more money elsewhere, what would put him off?

Could he even make more money elsewhere?

Reply #427942 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Hinder lol

Reply #427943 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Lets hope that Vandy doesn't learn how to become the dirty & talentless hack that Hinder is.

Reply #427952 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

How would you like me to respond to that trolling comment as to ensure you get the full level of personal satisfaction & attention you are so clearly craving?

I'm happy to play ball here, just point me in the right direction.

Reply #427962 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Trolling? I'm stating fact. Hinder is dirty and a hack and I hope that Vandy doesn't go down that path.

Reply #427966 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Hinder is one of the nicest guys in the league, anyone will tell you that. I wish he were a dirty player who played a lot harder and relished contact, but he isn't.

You are so way off base.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't really rate him at all, I wish we had someone else. But dirty he ain't.

Reply #427968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Mick but I think you are wrong. Hinder is a nice guy off the court but he is a dirty player.

Reply #427969 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I don't really care if he is a nice guy. He is a dirty player and its been getting worse since his skills have diminished (circa his stint at the Kings).

Reply #427970 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Care to cite some specific evidence rather than deal in vague generalities??

Reply #427980 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also, what's the bet that anon above and the situation are both posting from the same IP? Mods care to confirm?

Reply #427988 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Sure.

A game at Challenge a few years ago, he was getting soundly beaten by Redhage. Redhage drove to the hoop and Hinder smashed his arms downwards on to Redhage's head. It was a poorly disguised attempt at a block and Hinder showed no remorse.

A season or two earlier, Robbins was driving to the hoop and was fouled by Hinder. Nothing out of the ordinary except then the ball landed in Hinder's hand so he threw it in Robbins face.

(cue obvious responses of "yeah but it was redhage and robbins they deserved it lol")

Reply #427991 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Exactly.

Reply #427993 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"I prefer vague generalities."

Not from me. Seriously, this forum loses a lot of integrity when people can post anonymously or pinch people's usernames in order to shit stir.

And Mick, nice try buddy but I don't post anonymously and I have one user name. Happy for mods to confirm. If you're going to keep being a dick about things, let me know and I'll do my best to not insult you or people you consider to be nice.

Reply #427995 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEwRdfa0bo

Here you go Mick. Nice Guy Rusty shows what sort of player he is.

Reply #427996 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

I tend to agree with mick on this one, hinder is definitely passionate but I wouldn't say dirty but hey I'm a crocs fan. I guess it's like the situation( obviously a Perth fan) giving examples of hinder playing dirty against redhage and Robbins, two of the dirtiest most antagonising players ever to play nbl. I'll keep my rosé coloured glasses if you keep yours haha!

Reply #428020 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I can't speak for what he was like before coming to Townsville because quite frankly I paid no notice to him.

During his tenure at the Crocs I've watched most of his games and seen nothing that I'd consider dirty whatsoever.

Like I said above, I almost wish he was "dirty" because it implies a certain level of effectiveness or aggressivenes that is attracting scorn from opposition supporters.

On top of that, for me to consider someone dirty it has to be repeated stuff that happens every game, not an isolated brawl from five years ago. Ie. habits like Shawn Redhage or Reggie Evans or someone like that who you can see them doing the same stuff every game, year in year out.

Rusty is always a metre behind every play in Townsville. He hardly is close enough to anyone to pull a fast one.

Just my two cents and I'll keep an eye out next time I watch him play (in between banging my head against the wall wondering how he still has a contract).

And I couldn't agree with you more about anonymous posters on this forum. It ruins the whole thing and it's getting worse.

Reply #428024 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No, I'm not making any comment about the Perth players, but their antagonistic playing style has got nothing to do with whether Hinder is dirty or not.

Reply #428025 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Yeah Hinder is the nicest bloke off the field. Gave me a big wave last night at the Cowboys game in Townsville after not seeing me for about a year. And I never really had that much to do with him.

But on court, he's sort of a jerk. I used to absolutely hate his illegal screens to set up shooters when Gleeson was coach. But that's just playing the game. I only hated it because it was going against my team. His only major wrongdoing from memory is the Loughton incident, apart from that it's just the niggle.

Reply #428047 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

...and Clint Reed.

Reply #428052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone in the NBL is overly dirty. Players like Redhage, Vukona, Hinder and Loughton niggle, but that's not real dirty stuff like you get from some squirrel gripping South American and European teams.

Reply #428054 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Well it seems we are in opposite, inverted, bizarro camps.

You say Hinder is dirty and wish he wasn't.

I say Hinder plays too clean and wish he would show more grit, even if it means playing a little dirtier.

Reply #428063 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also, what's the bet that anon above and the situation are both posting from the same IP? Mods care to confirm?
No, they were not.

Also, the Situation impersonator IP has been blocked.

Reply #428064 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac.

No hard feelings Mick, the impersonator probably would have tricked me too.

Reply #428067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

btw - Crocs 'officially' sign Conklin & Vanderjagt on crocodiles.com.au

Team appears to be:

Markovic | Norton
Crawford | Djeric
Blanchfield | Pace
Conklin | Holmes
Hinder | Vanderjagt

Reply #428079 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

You know despite the arguments about or centre combo here, when you see the team lined up like that on paper, I'm actually pretty happy with it, and a littl excited to see how it all goes. Nice bench.

Reply #428080 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It seems like it will be a good team chemistry-wise, Ziah, and should play an exciting brand of ball.

9 out of 10 players I wouldn't change.

But the sad reality is that we really should have a starting centre of a better calibre and then have only one of Hinder or Vandy backing them up. Oh well.

Reply #428082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, if you had Nevill or Bairstow instead of Hinder that's a very good team. If Conklin turns out to be a beast outside then maybe having Hinder spreading the floor will turn out to be a stroke of genius?

Maybe not. But it's a very competitive team from 1-4 without any stars but with excellent depth and exciting youth.

Reply #428084 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

We may not have a standout low post scorer at centre like schensher or nevill, but we have ample, size scoring and versatility 1-4. Vandy may be there to use as a defensive matchup for the likes of Pledger and not required to be a real scorer.

Definately willing to give Dennis the thumbs up for his recruiting regardless, and will be pumped to see how this team plays. Certainly imagining high pressure full court and plenty of run and gun.

Reply #428092 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Geez just saw Conklin is 198 and 104kg, same height as Vukona but about 10kg heavier than he and Holmes. Thats a fair unit, lets hope hes the banger and scrapper we need.

Reply #428097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon that would be about the same as Vukona, and reports are Conklin loves to bang.

Reply #428104 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Big question mark for me is how good Markovic is at NBL level. Pretty budget team otherwise with the two NZ NBL imports and barely-in-the-league centres. Definitely keen to see what Pace can do though.

Reply #428109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with that Isaac!

Reply #428123 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Isaac is right. As an aside: if Hinder or Vandy weren't with the Crocs, would any other team even give them a look in?

The big question mark now the roster is set is going to be points in the paint. Crocs have really struggled in that department the last two years. Even with Schenscher and Nevill, we never had a second option inside scorer to complement them so defenses could just load up. We had two of the better centres to play in this league and points in te paint was still our biggest problem, and now both are gone.

Holmes and Hinder cannot score in the paint at this point in their careers. Vandy can finish better than either of them but he's not an offensive player.

So what it comes down to is whether guys like Norton (a great finisher for a young tiny PG), Markovic, Blanchfield and Pace can pick up the slack and get inside with regularity, on top of whether Conklin's -- who seems to be our only interior offensive option at this point -- offensive game translates to the NBL.

If Blanchfield can take that next step and get to 16 ppg or so it will also be a big salve for the situation. All the tools are there, just needs the basketball mindset.

Reply #428189 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:56 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754