Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Starting Fives for 2013/14

The recent debate on who will start at centre for Townsville got me thinking who will be our starters this season? Not easy with some import positions still vacant. Here goes
sixers:
Ervin,Gibson,import,Petrie,Johnson
Cairns:
Wilson,gliddon,weigh,Loughton,tragardh
Melb:
Import,goulding,greer,wortho,import/nevill
NZ:
Import,corletto,Abercrombie,vukona,pledger
Perth:
Martin,import,hire,redhage,knight
Syd:
Sanders,carmouche,hill,garlepp,Ogilvy
(could change with madgen and Ellis coming in)
Tow:
Markovic,Pace,blanchfield,Conklin,vanderjagt?
Wool:
Martin,import,import,Forman,Davidson.

Any changes guys?

Topic #32168 | Report this topic

Boojie Murray  
Years ago

Matt Andronicos will be starting instead of Loughton. You heard it here first.

Reply #427823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Lance Hurdle returning to the Hawks?

Reply #427825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rush to the Hawks perhaps?

Martin/Hurdle/Rush/Forman/Davidson
Import/Demos/Coenraad/Gruber/???

Reply #427829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That looks decent to me, same style of team as last year!

Reply #427830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bookie Murray there's a comedian in every thread

Reply #427836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ,Perth,Adelaide and melb my early tip for top 4.

Reply #427871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nevill to Melbourne? Where did you hear that?

Reply #427894 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think the biggest question mark here is Adelaide.

Start Johnson over Schenscher and you're back in Marty Clarke territory. Playing high useage rate guys who are innefficient but whose pretty boxscores keep you with vague justification for his "franchise player" status despite a proven losing record with that option.

Bring Johnson off the bench and go with proven veteran winners like Peach and Schenscher and you start to come into title talks.

I think Joey is smart enough to figure it out.

Play through Schenscher, with Peach on the high post, two GREAT passing bigs in the half-court who will score and free up your wings for open looks all day, and then use Ervin as the MAN in every fast / secondary break scenario and you are sitting pretty.

Then DJ comes in and looks to score above all else, primarily off the dribble and primarily from the perimeter (like Marty Clarke taught him), lets opposing bigs score at will and lets the other teams back in the game to keep things fair for 8 minute bursts.

Reply #427927 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Andronicus over Loughton? Seems a big leap considering he wasn't even suiting up at most home games last year as a DP?

Reply #428035 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Start Johnson over Schenscher and you're back in Marty Clarke territory. Playing high usage rate guys who are inefficient but whose pretty boxscores keep you with vague justification for his "franchise player" status despite a proven losing record with that option."

agree

Reply #428036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree. Johnson will also complement Anthony off the bench. DJ doesn't like getting his hands dirty but BJ likes nothing more. DJ plays facing up, BJ likes backing down. Players can be made by simply putting them in a lineup that complements their skill.

Reply #428038 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yup Benny will play hard D while Johnson concentrates on scoring off the bench.
I like the looks of this Sixers squad.

Reply #428055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perth
Martin
Import
Hire
Redhage
Import

Bench
Daly
?
Muo
Wagstaff
Knight

Cats are going with two imports instead of 1 like they did under bevo. They will be scary good if they get a high scoring SG and athletic big.

Reply #428140 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't see Knight not starting. One of the best players in the league last year.

Burdon was an option for the Cats. Not sure if that's off the cards now or not.

Reply #428158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Burdon had a trial here but the out come depends if we pick him over Daly or Deba Gorge.

Reply #428170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldnt the Wildcats need say 2 of George, Daly, Burdon to fill the back up guard spots at low points, i think the cats will have around 3-4 points to fill both these spots.

I think Gleeson must be planning to play Knight at the PF and maybe Redhage back to sf if he is getting a import C, cant see Knight coming off the bench either, perhaps the import does, but if they land Dunnigan he wont be off the bench, i originally thought they would get a import combo guard and an athletic import sg/sf i thought that was a bigger weakness than the C spot, but i guess Dunnigan was that good they want him back.

Reply #428205 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Nervous about the Perth squad. Still a lot of room to be completely pants or pretty crash hot. The choice to hold off on imports is going to be judged on how the Summer League scouting pans out. Get two top-notch imports out of it and it will be worthwhile. But if that is a bust then we have put ourselves well behind the 8-ball.

It is clear to see though, why we couldn't go for Cody Ellis.

Need to be able to score though, our unreliability in getting points on the board cost us terribly last year. We were anti-clutch (well, apart from that last minute Matty Knight 3 against the Crocs) because.

Reply #428290 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Good idea for Ellis to do his rookie stuff on East coast.... less "name" pressure.
Have no doubt he will be a Wildcat eventually.

Reply #428873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers: Ervin,gibbo,fryer,peach,DJ
Taipans: Wilson,gliddon,weigh,Loughton,trigger
Melb: Dennis,goulding,greer,wortho,Morrison
NZ:Johnson,corletto,Abercrombie,vukona,pledger
Perth: martin,import,Ennis,redhage,knight
Sydney: sanders,carmouche,hill,garlepp,Ogilvy
Townsville: markovic,pace,blanchfield,Conklin,vanderjagt
Hawks: R martin,Clarke,import,Forman,davidson

Reply #433474 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754