skip
Years ago

36ers sign Jarrid Frye as 2nd Import

The Adelaide 36ers have finalised their roster for the 2013/14 NBL season, signing American import, Jarrid Frye.

Frye, 28, was born in New York and played for Sacred Heart University averaging 13.3ppg at 48% with 5 rebounds per game in his senior year. Jarrid has had two stints in Macedonia, played with the Kentucky Bisons in the US ABA and last season starred for Stjarnan in Iceland, averaging 22.8ppg at 55% with 7.9 rebounds per game and 4.5 assists.

The 196cm small forward will most likely join the team in China from August 14-24 as the 36ers play 6 games in an invitational tournament.

New 36ers head coach Joey Wright was delighted to have locked away the final piece of the puzzle "I believe Jarrid is the exact type of player we were looking for to fill the last spot on the roster. Not only does he give us balance, he has a game that the fans will love watching."
“We've put together a solid group, however the hard work begins now in pre-season.” said Wright.

The 36ers have put together a formidable back-court with Adam Gibson, Gary Ervin, Jason Cadee & Brendan Teys. Jarrid Frye and Mitch Creek will share the small forward’s role and have four talented big guys Luke Schenscher, Daniel Johnson, BJ Anthony and the versatile Anthony Petrie.

Pre-season training starts at the Adelaide Arena on July 29 at 10am.

China Invitational Tournament August 14-24.

Link to story

Topic #32172 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Legit roster and coach.

Sixers fans: is anything less than a grand final appearance is probably a failure? Heck, anything less than a title with the roster they have probably isn't good enough...

Reply #427978 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Mick, isnt that what we all were saying this time last year?

Reply #427979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After the last 6 years, I'd just be happy not to finish in the bottom 2.

Reply #427982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Decent signing imo, especially considering we wouldnt have had much cap space for this spot.

Joey said when he signed he wanted a 6'6 ball handling sf and Frye seems to be that, so not expecting him to be a stud, but he is the style of player Joey was looking for so hopefully fits in with the game plan Joey is intending to run.

He seems to be an exciting player to watch, perhaps a poor mans Hodge/Tucker style of player. Both were great to watch when playing well.

Will be good to have essentially 3 good ball carriers in the starting line up, helps against teams that play the style similar to Perth the last few years.

What do people expect him to average? My guess is around 10 pts, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, given the money he would be on id be ok with that in around 20-25 mins per game , splitting with Creek. If he gets more than that we have a real bargain imo.

Cant wait for the season to start!!!

Reply #427983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick,

Would love a Title, but after 3 years in the bomb shelter id be happy with playoffs and a good game style/brand of basketball played each game.

Not many achieve bottom to top in 1 season, but would be AWESOME if it did happen!

Reply #427984 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Watching him on youtube, he actually reminds me a little of Mitch.

Reply #427985 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah, but I never bought it last year with Marty Clarke at the helm, from the start.

They have added a league MVP and now in Frye a guy who looks like a can't-miss import, and the only guy they have lost of anything resembling value is Stephen Weigh.

No excuses now. The only thing in the way of a Sixers' title is Daniel Johnson.

Reply #427986 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

It would appear Al Shep is unhappy with the signing. Taking to twitter to voice his disappointment at the team not signing him.

Link to his twitter

Reply #428002 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Mick, isnt that what we all were saying this time last year?

The roster last year was stacked with talent, Clarke was a horrible coach.

Reply #428005 | Report this post

1836er  
Years ago

There's no real way of knowing until we watch him in his first game. You tube made Christopherson look lik a GOD with his half court shots and 3 pointers etc. Don't forget youtube highlights are best moments only, never shows mistakes etc.

Also I am not sure about the skill level of the iceland league. It is probably worse than the NBL so I'm guessing that he won't be making half those shots we saw in his youtube clip.

We just got to wait and see. Fingers crossed :)

Reply #428009 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

There are full games you can watch of him, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI6fRtVjZAA number 5 in white (i think)

Reply #428011 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Should be a top four team. Good off-season by a club facing questions over venue, ownership and league. Managed to grab a decent and likeable coach, retain Gibson and Creek, plus add some good pieces. Ervin is a past MVP and looked like an MVP contender at many points last year. Frye is a bonus whatever happens. Anthony is a probable upgrade on Vasiljevic and Teys (barely seen him play) is fine for a solitary point under the cap.

Who's Al Shep? Probably not reacting in a particularly professional manner. Whole lot of head shaking.

Reply #428014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Also I am not sure about the skill level of the iceland league. It is probably worse than the NBL"

NBA
Euroleague

ACB
VTB

TBL
NBL
Serie A

Iceland

Reply #428016 | Report this post

Loc  
Years ago

Dunk at 1:30 of that YouTube highlights package is pretty impressive. Looks like he has range too.

Reply #428021 | Report this post

Loc  
Years ago

Skip - Al's Twitter feed hurt my brain.

Reply #428023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iceland might be a low standard, but this guy has the skills Joey wants so it seems like a decent signing. He doesnt have to be a star.

Reply #428026 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

His highlights remind me of Isaiah Omanagho. Not saying they are on the same level but just the way he moves, drives and gets to the rack.

Reply #428028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, its a bit like Seth Scott and Corin Henry last season, both came from leagues seen to be of lower standard and did well, many were doubtful they would do any good, and both were quite good.

I remember in particular Anstey saying in the media what he was looking for in his import big, being something like a guy who is reasonably athletic, can play inside/outside, ie a bit like himself, and when Scott was signed the general concensous seemed to be that hey he may not be a star but he is the exact type of player Anstey was looking for so may turn out ok, which he did.

I think Frye is a similar case, Wright said he wants a versatile 6'6 sf who can handle the ball. Frye gives them that, no matter how good he is, he is the right style of player, he didnt say i want a 6'6 sf who can handle the ball and sign Hudson even though hudson is the more NBL proven player, so thats a positive and means he should fit in to Joeys game plan that he wants too.

I also cant remember too many guys of this style who didnt do atleast ok at the NBL level, even say Tyndale who wasnt a star and lost confidence and got worse as his stint went on, but he still averaged around 13pts a game and had a couple of huge performances, so his overall contribution was ok, if Frye can give us atleast that and not lose confidence ala Tyndale he should do ok.

Imo its a decent signing, especially given it would be a low salary gig. If he was our big time import signing i would be worried, but happy with him having this role.

Reply #428030 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Looks like a pretty legit line-up. Shades of last year in terms of expectations but a much better guy in charge on the bench. Someone to finally challenge the Perth-NZ duopoly?

Reply #428034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, much better coach definitely helps.

I also think the idea of the basically 'all aussie' line up (imports played a minor role) didnt work.

I had my doubts to start with, just as you often get that superstar import, but very few Aussies are of that caliber and imports can give you more bang for your buck, at a guess id say Ervin and Gibson would have made similar money last season and Ervin is MVP candidate whilst Gibson is a very good player, could argue one of the best Aussie guards, but not an MVP candidate. Im glad we kept most of them but bought in good imports this year, i think basically all championship teams have atleast 1 star import, which makes a huge difference, having Ervin gives us that a guard rotation of Ervin, Gibson, Cadee is just so much better than Cadee, Gibson, Crosswell and that alone will make a massive difference this year.

Reply #428037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson and Ervin really complement each other. Ervin doesnt like D that much, has great speed and loves getting to the rim and seeing what happens and reacting instinctively. Gibson loves D, is crafty but not quick, and likes using the pick for a pullup or to hit a shooter which he has seen coming from the moment the play began.

Reply #428039 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Another good signing expect both imports training together before china trip.
Johnson
Petrie
Fryre
Ervin
Cadee

Schenscher
Creek
Anthony
Cadee
Teys

Can't wait to see a training session,possibly preseason home games.
Expect packed house come Sixers 1st home game.whoohoo.

Reply #428060 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

well done Observer ,

nobody can say that you're not right on the money with the big calls.

so Robbie is coming out of retirement ? , Jason won't like being back up to his old man very much.

Reply #428068 | Report this post

veteran  
Years ago

good team - will get me back in from the wilderness

Reply #428072 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Will fryer and Ervin arrive in Adelaide before going to china or both heading to china before heading back to Adelaide?

Reply #428073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to see who starts out of Petrie/Schencher and Creek/Frye.

Reply #428086 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think Frye is a similar case, Wright said he wants a versatile 6'6 sf who can handle the ball. Frye gives them that, no matter how good he is, he is the right style of player, he didnt say i want a 6'6 sf who can handle the ball and sign Hudson even though hudson is the more NBL proven player, so thats a positive and means he should fit in to Joeys game plan that he wants too.

Yeah, I like that he got the type of player he said he wanted rather than saying he wanted a guard who could create his own shot only to sign a guard who couldn't create a piss up in a brewery.

Reply #428088 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

I think Frye will start ahead of Creek,
and Gibbo and Ervin will start,

but after that it is completely open.

Reply #428098 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

He looks alright for a budget import but I am hardly overwhelmed. Least we got Gary Ervin, a proven star in the league

Reply #428099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You tube clip look good and that dunk was very nice but he isn't a small forward.

Good shooting range and nice handle but he is a point guard or a shooting guard. No way is a shooting guard.

Don't see very many defensive rebounds.

First impression, hopefully he can last until Christmas. But not counting on it.

Reply #428102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think who starts will be out of Schenscher/Johnson and Creek/Frye. Both will be up for grabs in preseason I reckon.

Personally, I would have Frye with the second unit as he can create shots. I would start Johnson because Petrie, Creek and Gibson can go a long way to covering his ass on defence.

Reply #428106 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Johnson is definitely going to start

Reply #428111 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'm pleased with the signings and heavy off season activity. We look brilliant on paper.

I'm pleased to have a new coach, I'll be happy to not finish in the bottom 2.

I'm happy making the playoffs for now and a Grand Final is a bloody bonus.

Bring on the season. Go 36ers!

Reply #428117 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I am not much of a Johnson fan. Needs a jolly good punch in the mouth and a lesson to harden up

Reply #428118 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The feeling is good, because everybody has some room.
10points in 32minutes for a hundred grand from weigh.
Frye better option there, as is Creek.

Reply #428124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really is just a bonus though with the cap space we must of had left. Remembering we could only just scrape an import in last season. Now we have Ervin and another.

Joey certainly is an aggressive recruiter. Gotta like that.

Great work from the club as well. Really positive stuff.

Reply #428137 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

We haven't had an import that could contribute in years, now we've got a good one - along with Gibson, the type of player we've lacked since Maher retired, and we've got very good height.

As the 36ers have shown in the past, it only takes a good big, and two good guards to make a playoff worthy team.

Reply #428142 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Icelands a weak league.
Ev Bartlett averaged 30ppg there 3-4 years ago playing for Hottur.

With that being said, they didnt have much money to play with.

Still a stacked roster.

You have this guy and Creek as your SF rotation. Thats good experience there! Tigers, Breakers, Wildcats all have inexperienced backup SFs (Odigie, Te Rangi and Muo)

The depth at your other 4 spots is freaky
No excuses not to be a top 4 team.
But also no reason for fans not to be absolutely stoked with what the club has done.

Reply #428151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah, sorry. I meant start out of Petrie/Schenscher.

Reply #428162 | Report this post

Loc  
Years ago

I'm just impressed we actually have a game plan for Frye to fit into - we're already ahead of the last 3 years.

Reply #428206 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Good to see TV news run the story(& the Lightnings)
We been down to the bottom, for a while, now we're back where we belong.
Needless to say I'll there at 10am on July29th, for the first training session .I booked the taxi
already.

Reply #428317 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

what? theres a public training first up?

Reply #428318 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yeah , that's pretty good isn't it.
It used to be that way.

Reply #428319 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I shall have to get down there then.

Reply #428321 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The imports aint here, they'll meet up in China and come here with the team. BJ is in NZ with their team
Gibson won't go to China as will be with Boomers
Our players are in very good shape, no wonder there's AFL interest in Creek
(Teysee the best junpshooter, but not much good with the left hand or the floater)
Needless to say Joey is pretty good out there.
One TV news crew out there.

Reply #430052 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754