Thomas Schmidt
Years ago

Cedar brothers future?

Both Chris and Mike have left Croc Nation?

Where are they off to? QBL? SEABL? Retired?

Both talented nbl level talent at minimum...

Topic #32179 | Report this topic

YouknowME  
Years ago

flipping burgers somewhere.

Reply #428103 | Report this post

Looking for a team where they are allowed to shoot it every time they catch it

Reply #428105 | Report this post

toes  
Years ago

Seriously, anyone know?

Reply #428107 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Might get a gig in uganda

Reply #428112 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Should play seabl next season and get some exposure down here.

Reply #428113 | Report this post

Bball fan  
Years ago

Off to the attitude school.

Reply #428114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both are playing QBL in Townsville

Michael is looking at a few trams in the NBL as well as offers from Asia & England.

Chris is working at a local primary school helping young indigenous kids in any way possible. Doing an excellent job too from all reports!

They both usually travel to the cape and or NT once a year to work with indigenous kids in sport... So lay off the bullshit humour and praise these guys for helping people from their own culture.

Reply #428121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*teams

Reply #428122 | Report this post

toes  
Years ago

Mike is the only crocs player i havent got an autograph from :( may have to chase him down at a qbl game...

Reply #428126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That means you got Ben Allen's autograph. That's funny lol

Reply #428147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, keep in mind that some things are valuable purely because there's only one of them in the world.

Reply #428152 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Mick Cedar improved a lot last year and was looking to get inside more, play better in all the little ways, and rebound the ball with more aggression. Unfortunately he's just way too slow on a basketball court (apparently he was a gun 100m sprinter, so he must be really fast once he gets going but just takes a while to accelerate), so he's a bit of a defensive liability. His terrible shooting over the past two or three seasons is the biggest factor in seeing him go though, because he was primarily employed as a spot up shooter. Still has a hard time going left and all of the explosiveness that was his trademark during his junior career is gone. I think he really needs a change of scenery because he was too normalised to the townsville situation and needs a fire under his ass. Can contribute at this level off the bench, but needs a hard ass type coach to push him.

Chris Cedar: quick as hell, tenacious defender and solid ball handler. Looks to get other guys involved. Can't shoot the ball to save himself (unlike Mick this isn't a slump: he's never been a shooter). Can blow by defenders and get inside but has trouble finishing at the rim. I think that's just a confidence thing though, a few more reps in NBL games and he'll get some rhthym in that department. Solid size for the PG position at at least 6'1" and with muscle. Had no chance in Townsville playing third PG behind Mitch Norton who is six years younger and plays for Australia at junior level / world uni games etc.

I think both guys should have looked to go outside their comfort zones and tried to play in SEABL this offseason and played against the best guys in the country, instead they stayed in the lower-standard QBL to play with Townsville. Easier said than done with Chris because he's a young father. But basketball wise it would have been better for them both.

Reply #428190 | Report this post

No bullshit humor, hey just both suck big time. Horrible

Reply #428193 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I wanted to get my brother a Ben Allen jersey for his birthday but when I looked into it, it was too expensive for a joke present...

Maybe I'll get him a Kings one if they aren't too dear.

Reply #428197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Mick Cedar... so he's a bit of a defensive liability"
He was one of the Crocs best defenders last year, probably the best defensive year I have ever seen him play.

btw Mick is also leading the QBL in assists this year so far.

"Chris Cedar... Can't shoot the ball to save himself"

He shot 31% from 3 last NBL season (4th on the Crocs)in limited opportunities and is shooting 44% from 3 this QBL season...

I think you make a lot of general comments without much basis or substance

Reply #428217 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Mick Cedar was greatly improved on the defensive end last year, yes, but he went from being "very poor" to "average". And being one of the Crocs best defenders -- on the worst defensive team in the league, no less, isn't much of a distinction. Too slow laterally to keep up with guards, too small to defend wings.

As for Chris, 31% is not a good number from deep. And the Crocs were godwaful at shooting the ball last year, so fourth on the team is nothing to crow about. But the problem with those numbers that none of them are true. Chris actually shot 27.6% (Mick was a touch worse at 27.3%) from deep last year, which is about as bad as you can get, especially remarkable because most people who are that bad from range normally don't attempt shots at all. His form is flawed and there is too much power coming from the wrists/hands/arms once they are above the head in the shooting motion, like a rugby union line out throw-in or a netball shot.

Reply #428221 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Mick +1

Anon #428217 - Crocs were the worst shooting team in the NBL last season. Even worse than Perth. Watching the Cocs play the Wildcats was cringeworthy.

According to the NBL web site for 2012-13 season:

There were 86 players who took at least 30 field goal attempts. M Cedar was 30th in that list for number of field goals taken (217). His field goal percentage was 71st (34.1%).

There were 55 players who took at least 30 3-point shots. M Cedar was 25th on that list for shots taken (121). He was 47th for 3-point percentage (27.3%).

Personally, I thought Mick's comments were quite specific and, as these figures show, have plenty of substance behind them.

Reply #428223 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Michael Cedar's ill-advised stepback (stepjack?) is a bit of a trademark.

Reply #428240 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The thing with Mick is that once the book on him was that he hates putting the ball on the floor, closing out hard on the three point shot and overplaying him on the perimeter has seen his percentages drop the last three seasons at least.

He started putting the ball on the floor a bit more this season just gone but his first step is just so slow and he can't handle with his left hand very well that it just looks awkward.

He's a cool customer and calm under pressure, but at the same time the trade off for that is you don't see him diving on loose balls or making energy/hustle plays. He's too cool all the time.

Anyway, like I said, I hope he gets a gig somewhere with a coach that puts him outside of his comfort zone and he continues to grow as a player.

Reply #428244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PeterJohn

you might find the shooting stats were all about Chris Cedar...

so pretty much all you said had nothing to do with the topic being discussed

Reply #428262 | Report this post

M1ck  
Years ago

Fake Mick makes some points. But M Cedar is actually quite a good athlete & very quick. He looks slow & D is poor if he has to make defensive decisions. We the rules are simple he's locked in & effective.
The real reason he 'never went on with it'.....his slide coincided with Brad Williams. Grog. Junk food. Party. Bitch & moan.

Reply #428478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754