Vart
Years ago

False report: Joe Ingles rejects Memphis Grizzlies offer

From David Pick (@IAmDPick) on twitter:

'After rejecting a veterans minimum 2-year deal by the Memphis Grizzlies, Australian SF Joe Ingles, is in between Maccabi & Olympiacos.'

Nate Jawai has also been offered a three-year deal by the Greek giants, so these guy could be teammates again.

Topic #32197 | Report this topic

Avv  
Years ago

Thought I read Jawai had gone to Galatasaray in Turkey???

Reply #428514 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

How can he be eligible for vet's minimum don't you need 10 years service in the NBA? Or is it just league minimum that they offered him.

Either way. What an idiot. Couldn't ask for a better situation. Griz are shallow at the 3.

Reply #428515 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah, Prince will be 34 soon. He didn't do too much last season and only played 30-something games.

I was impressed with Pondexter -- really nice shooter. But even then, I saw him primarily as a spot-up shooter and not too much else.

It could be that Ingles' teammate Juan Carlos Navarro dished some dirt about the Grizz that has dissuaded him. Remember Navarro only played 1 season there and then returned to Europe.

Reply #428518 | Report this post

Pointguard  
Years ago

Have I read this right he knocked back 1.2 million a year for 2 years to play in the NBA??

Reply #428528 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

His agent is either a blithering moron, or is really pissed off at Joe right now...

Reply #428530 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Yeah, I found it hard to understand. You want to play in the NBA so bad? Take the deal, just get over there. He's only young. If he does well, then the money will come in the next contract.

Reply #428532 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How concrete is this info? His good friend DB on Twitter didn't sound too aware of it.

Reply #428536 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"If I can get a contract or if it's going to training camps or whatever it is, I'm going to take a shot at it.

"I'm 25, turning 26, and the window is closing, not too fast but it is closing"

That was earlier this year (May).

So he has gone from been very keen and willing to try his best to even get a training camp invite to turning down a guaranteed deal. Ok Joe.

Reply #428537 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

i call bulls***

Reply #428538 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah I doubt this is real. Anyone got a real source?

Otherwise this is some Simon Dwight shit.

Reply #428539 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Prob his manager trying to get some extra money for Joe.

Reply #428542 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I reckon this is all crap.

Jawai signed in Turkey - the iintel provided is all bad...

Reply #428545 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

LC, are you 100% sure Jawai has signed?

Reply #428547 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"After rejecting a veterans minimum 2-year deal by the Memphis Grizzlies, Australian SF Troll Ingles13, is in between Maccabi & Olympiacos"

Fixed

Reply #428550 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Terrible ^

Reply #428553 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I cant find anything on the Euroleague site confirming Jawai to Galatasary so maybe he hasnt?

Reply #428554 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Ingles on twitter just confirmed he had no idea what this bonehead is talking about!

Reply #428555 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I agree paul. I havent been able to find anything at all. Galatasaray's website has a lot of information about their signings too, even for their women's team. So if a deal has been done, I think it would have been reported by now.

I personally would love to see Ingles and Jawai team up again with Olympiacos. That would be fun to watch, and have two Aussies part of a Euroleague three-peat race.

Reply #428556 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Updated topic title. This D Pick guy is from Eurobasket.

Reply #428557 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Does he think Ingles gets his money for nothing?

Reply #428558 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

No official link and apparently ingles doesnt even know about it. case closed I say

Reply #428573 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Do people here not realize how LOW an NBA minimum deal is?

It's like 1/5 of the average Euroleague salary.

Reply #428606 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What do you get that stat from?

Reply #428608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you have NBA aspirations, sign a 2 year min deal, its atleast around 500k per year, if you get enough opportunity and prove yourself to be atleast a solid role player, ie in a main 8-10 man rotation your next contract would be atleast 1 mil could be 3-5 depending on how you go.

So sure you could make more in Europe initially, but Ingles would be stupid to pass up a offer, if he gets one, even if it means a pay cut, as there probably wont be another chance, and hey its not like you cant live off 500k per year.

Reply #428612 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I just don't think the offer was made, or he would have taken it. either that or the pelicans have offered more...

Reply #428613 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

So what youre saying mike is that the average euro league salary is around the 3m mark, which of course is errant nonsense.

That means you're wrong.

Reply #428615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The average Euroleague salary is $1.5 million.

The NBA rookie minimum is $450,000. So the average Euroleague salary is more than 3 times higher.

Reply #428777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA rookie minimum is $490,000. Still, it's a about 1/3 of the average Euroleague salary. So the NBA rookie minimum isn't very attractive or enticing for a player like Ingles, who should be able to earn pretty close to an average contract in Euroleague.

Reply #428778 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I doubt the average Euroleague salary is US$1.5 million. There arent a lot of players in Europe make over 1mill EURO (which is US$1.3mill), and some lower clubs dont spend a lot more than that on their entire roster.

Reply #428782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Joeys off to Israel.

Reply #428832 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

wouldnt mind something backing that anonymous?

Reply #428833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopshype

Reply #428843 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

dont see this anywhere... most recenet one talks about the grizzlies.

Reply #428848 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Oh right. there are reports hes close to signing.... nothing official.

Reply #428849 | Report this post

Don  
Years ago

Average salary in Euroleague = $1.385 million for the 2012-13 season.

That's the exact number.

Reply #428857 | Report this post

Don  
Years ago

I doubt the average Euroleague salary is US$1.5 million. There arent a lot of players in Europe make over 1mill EURO (which is US$1.3mill), and some lower clubs dont spend a lot more than that on their entire roster.
-------------------------------------

European contracts are only listed in the NET INCOME amount. After all taxes, fees, and expenses are deducted from the contracts.

The clubs in Europe also pay all of the taxes and agent fees for the players, and they also pay for all of the PERSONAL (not team related) living and transportation expenses of the players.

On the other hand, NBA contracts are only reported in the GROSS income amount, and have taxes, agent fees, player retirement fund fees, and player union fees deducted out of them. While NBA teams do NOT pay for any of the personal expenses of their players.

Reply #428858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signed with Maccabi Tel Aviv apparently

Reply #428950 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes Don, but there are very few above $1mill (20-30 if reports are to be believed), so even before tax the average still will be well below $1.5mill. Like I said, some of the lower clubs only spend a couple of mill on their entire rosters.

Reply #428953 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Well it sucks hes still not in the NBA. IF he did call off the NBA gig to be with Tel Aviv I would have lost some respect for him.

Reply #428958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find that very hard to believe.

Reply #428963 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:06 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754