Anonymous
Years ago

Are NBL rosters too deep?

Just a thought, most teams in the NBL seem to load up there roster 10 deep with fairly legit talent, even in say Perths/Adelaides case last year it means going with only 1 import or many teams go with 1 cheaper import.

What i was wondering, do people think teams could be better off if they grabbed say 2 stud imports (ie 200k each) and went only 6-7 deep with experience and filled the remaining spots with cheaper/young guys from SEABL/NZ?

Say the 36ers did this and they could get 2 stud imports, 2 use real names say Ced Jackson and Donta Smith for 200k each leaving them 600k for the remaining 8 players.

And go with a roster of the following, using guesstimated salaries.

C Schenscher (150k)/ Vasiljevic (40k)
PF Petrie (100k)/Anthony (40k)
SF Donta Smith (200k)/L.Henry (40k)
SG Gibson (150k)/Burdon (40k)
PG Ced Jackson (200k)/Daly (40k)

OR

a little more depth if you replace say Gibson with Creek on say 90k, and upgrade Henry to say Weigh on 100k

gives you

C Schenscher (150k)/ Vasiljevic (40k)
PF Petrie (100k)/Anthony (40k)
SF Weigh (100k)/Creek (90k)
SG Donta Smith (200k)/Burdon (40k)
PG Ced Jackson (200k)/Daly (40k)

Which team would be better?

Would that team despite its lack of depth be better than say even the current 36ers squad?

Where would a line up like that rank in the NBL? would it be a championship team?

Obviously injury or foul trouble to a key player would really hurt them, but say they get through most of the season with only very few foul outs and not real key injuries, how would people rank this line up?

Do clubs spend too much money on Depth players and sould they just focus on getting a stud starting 5? I think my salaries are fairly realistic, most my bench players dont have current NBL contracts, and i doubt too many Aussies would be paid more than 150k under the 1 mil cap.

Should recruitment start with getting 2 stud known players? even if it sacrifices depth? is $200k enough to get them?

Topic #32202 | Report this topic

YouknowME  
Years ago

I really don't think the NBL suffers from being 'too deep'. Adelaides roster is fairly deep, granted... but when you start looking at Townsville this year, Sydney.. I mean these teams need all the help they can get.

Reply #428670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True, but would Adelaide be better off with less depth but more studs?

would this also be better off for Townsville and other 'not as deep teams'? as it means some of these guys playing on deep teams would end up playing on other teams, eg. neither of my teams have Johnson, so hypothetically he could end up in say Townsville, so could be better off for them too, as in a league with less depth no roster would have all 3 of Schenscher/Johnson/Petrie, and the money paid on Johnson goes towards getting a 2nd stud import, instead of 1 stud and 1 cheap, which seems to be the norm, which imo makes the game more exciting.

I guess that could happen now, but say next season should the 36ers look at replacing Johnson and Frye with 1 stud import and a min salary aussie? I guess thats what it comes down to, which option is better?

Reply #428676 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I just think less depth means lower playing standard. You could have Michael Jordan on your team but if you have to sub him off 10-15 minutes a game for Scott Christopherson your going to have a hard time

Reply #428677 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

There are decent players that can't make NBL rosters and some playing in Europe instead of getting a reduced role... Simply we haven't got enough teams and if we had 10 and this question came up I'd like to see a stud import, but for now I'm happy with 10 deep teams

Reply #428679 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's clearly the deepest it's ever been, and that's simply because there are the fewest clubs.

There is easily scope for some more teams, and I actually think the spectacle would improve as teams wouldnt be able to play with the same intensity for 40mins, and the top players would be able to shine more with a bigger gap between the top and bottom players in each team's rotation.

Reply #428686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i was thinking along the same lines Paul.

Also if clubs could spend around 200k on a import, is that enough to interest the likes of Ere, Donta Smith, Brad Newley and other athletic/exiting players to play NBL? I would love to see all those guys back in the league!

Reply #428698 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Guys like Ebi Ere, Donta Smith, Ty McKee, EJ Rowland and Diamon Simpson are now very good imports in good European comps, they can make a lot of money. While there is still good money in Europe it's more about finding the next versions of those guys.

At the moment a lot of teams have just one gun import (it's mostly been that way since around 2000), but with more clubs there is more money for good players so you are more likely to see two really good imports or some of the Aussie guys coming back.

Reply #428701 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

with a lot of European Teams not paying Imports, the NBL will become a stronger option for guys leaving College over the next couple of years as long as teams like Townsville can find some financial stability.

Reply #428704 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I like the idea of paying bench guys less i.e. not getting top dollar guys for yor second unit.

These guys aren't training 40hrs a week and im sure they could fit in a part timejob (20 hours a week) during the season to supplement their income.

And during the off-season they could work more hours.

NZ have done it well...those guys work for their NZNBL teams in the offseason for bloody good money considering its only a 4 month season. That gives guys like Mika, Webster,Te Rangi and Trueman the chance to take a paycut for the Breakers.

Reply #428714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, exactly opening more money up for more star players, NZ do it very well, could NBL teams partner with SEABL clubs and say get all there back ups to play for the SEABL club, where the NBL club plays them a base salary say 40-50k then they pick up another pay check from the SEABL club (have no idea what the SEABL clubs pay, would it be 10k?)

So for alot of the back up guys around the league they would potentially make around 50-60k, which is still good money for them.

Say doing that shaves 10k off each back ups NBL salary gives the NBL club a chance to spend a extra 50k on one of the starters, that could be the difference between a cheap import and a better quality/more proven import, which if you get it right could make a big difference to your teams fortunes.

Reply #428720 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I agree 100%, too deep these days.

I'd say the average NBL team would currently break down their minutes something like this:

Starting C: 25 mpg
Starting PF: 30
Starting SF: 20
Starting SG: 25
Starting PG: 30

Bench 6: 25 mpg
Bench 7: 20
Bench 8: 10
Bench 9: 10
Bench 10: 5

When we had 48 minute games the best 3-4 players all logged 40 minutes anyway, some averaged 45. Coaches now try to rotate too much and sometimes its because number 8 is nearly as talented as number 3 in the rotation, but also because the game is shorter.

If i were a GM, i think the minutes should look more like below, and spend nothing on number 7-10 in the roster.

Starting C: 32 mpg
Starting PF: 36
Starting SF: 32
Starting SG: 36
Starting PG: 36

Bench 6: 18 mpg
Bench 7: 10
Bench 8: Garbage minutes
Bench 9: Garbage minutes
Bench 10: Garbage minutes

Yes there is a risk if there's an injury, but one starter missing wouldn't be the end of the world, the advantage is the percentage of time on the floor with much more talented players outweighs the risk.

Reply #428732 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

A lot of imports coming here would love to play the whole game.

In fact, they can get annoyed if they get given too much rest.

They come from the College System where they play weekends and weekdays including travel and they get worked really hard even in in-season practices.

So for a lot of them, mostly playing 1 game each weekend is childs play. Probably not even in HS did they see such a spread out schedule.

Reply #428734 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Game has changed now, tough to play more than low 30s minutes wise. Average in good comps and internationally is about 28. But give or take you could still go something like below with an increase in teams with an 8-man main roster.

25/5
30/20
25/15
25/20
30/5

Reply #428760 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:53 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754