Don
Years ago

Reported Salaries Of Ingles And Jawai In Europe

I see this comes up as a debate in the Joe Ingles Memphis thread, so it needs to be explained here.

European contracts are only listed in the NET INCOME amount. After all taxes, fees, and expenses are deducted from the contracts.

The clubs in Europe also pay all of the taxes and agent fees for the players, and they also pay for all of the PERSONAL (not team related) living and transportation expenses of the players.

On the other hand, NBA contracts are only reported in the GROSS income amount, and have taxes, agent fees, player retirement fund fees, and player union fees deducted out of them. While NBA teams do NOT pay for any of the personal expenses of their players.

In the way the NBA COUNTS SALARY, the salaries of Ingles in Maccabi and Jawai in Galatasaray are equal to about $2 million a year per season in how the NBA counts salary.

So maybe this will help people here to grasp why these guys, and HUNDREDS of other guys in Europe that are good enough to play in the NBA, do not play in the NBA, and really don't have much interest in doing so.

Because the NBA only offers them minimum contracts, which by the same way of counting salary as the NBA measures it, only pay around $490,000 a year.

Guys like Jawai and Ingles are getting 4 times that salary in Europe, and they are not even highly paid players there, as the highest paid players in Europe make 3-4 times more than Ingles and Jawai do.

So it's just not at all interesting in any way for these guys to even consider playing in the NBA, and a lot of people here need to grasp that.

The NBA is setup to where teams pay huge salaries to 2-3 guys and then a whole bunch of guys make less than average players make in Europe.

That's appealing mostly only to American players that don't any better. It's not appealing to non-American players that understand they can do much better financially in Europe.

That's just how it is guys. Even when Anderson got $2.5 million per season from the Rockets, he was taking a big pay cut from what he made for years in years in Europe.

Never mind a guy like Ingles supposedly getting NBA rookie minimum, or close to that type offers.

Topic #32210 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Why do we keep going on about these 2... Most boring threads, of the 'actual bball topics' on here.

Reply #428860 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@Kobe24 - Assuming that Don is correct in how European contracts are reported, I thought it was an interesting topic and might serve to dispel the rampant 'NBA watch' of every Australian playing overseas.

Reply #428866 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

These salaries also put into perspective the discussion of marquee players, in another thread. People talked about making it attractive to get players like Newley and Ingles back in the NBL by allowing marquee players paid partially or totally outside the salary cap. From the numbers quoted in this thread, that just isn't practicable.

Reply #428871 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Don is exaggerating re $$, not to mention that European teams are notorious for promising a lot and delivering a little, especially if you're not starring on the court.

Few, if any players in Europe make the average NBA salary, but the real lure of the NBA is to prove yourself in the best league. Yes, the Euroleague is great, but the NBA is still the pinnacle.

Reply #428872 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

the NBA actually pay ALL their players where as in Europe a ton of "Import" players are chasing Team Owners and Managers for Money that is owed.
So having a Contract worth X amount of dollars doesn't mean squat if they don't actually pay you.

Reply #428875 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

It's hard to prove credibility on this forum, but they are very big numbers. When talking about playing career goals, NBA is all Aussie guys talk about, so I'm not buying what don is selling.

Reply #428888 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

You can drill this down even further for NBA players as what state you reside in will dictate your net pay.

http://www.thesportjournal.org/article/implications-state-income-tax-policy-nba-franchise-success-tax-policy-professional-sports-an

I also recall readings somewhere that players try avoiding Toronto as they are taxed at a higher rate in Canada than they are in the USA.

Here is an example of baseballer's being traded to Canada and what that meant for their hip pocket http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/11/14/traded-marlins-players-will-take-2-million-tax-hit-in-canada/

Reply #428891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate to break it to you guys, but Euroleague and FIBA have STRICT salary rules.

No team is even allowed in the league at all if they don't play players in full.

FIBA won't even allow a team to even SIGN any players if they are not paying players.

Stop believing every propaganda nonsense that US media churns out.

It's right there in Euroleague and FIBA by laws and any team doing so gets banned out of the league.

Union Olimpijia the team Baynes played on was behind in payments and they got banned out of Euroleague.

So don't believe that bullshit, because it's not true.

EUROLEAGUE teams have to pay the players what they are signed for. These guys play in EUROLEAGUE, not in some smaller lower European leagues.

And teams like Galatsaray and Maccabi only do guaranteed contracts.

There is also no exaggeration to anything in the salary. European clubs only report net salary and they pay for the agent's fees and the taxes of the players, and they give them free housing, cars, internet, TV, and utilities.

That's just standard, even for non Euroleague teams. The smallest teams in Greek League for example all do that as just a standard policy.

That's why like 9 out of the 10 best players in Europe never even consider the NBA for one second.

3 million euros salary in NBA = $8.7 million salary in NBA. That is the salary scale all agents use.

Just try to comprehend that.

Reply #429149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

edit:

3 million euros salary in EUROLEAGUE = $8.7 million salary in NBA. That is the salary scale all agents use.

Reply #429150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did Zalgiris go paying their players last year? Or Budivelnyk? Or Kragujevac? Just to name three of dozens and dozens. If you think FIBA has that much control over European club basketball you are living in a delusional world.

Reply #429151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's why like 9 out of the 10 best players in Europe never even consider the NBA for one second.
-------------

It has certainly impacted heavily on Kirilenko, Parker, Vesely, Noah, Calderon, Claver, Mozgov, Pekovic, Gortat, Vucevic, Nowitzki, Teletovic, Shved, Rubio, Batum, de Colo, Bagnani, Kleiza, Freeland, Pachulia, Casspi, Asik, Deng, Diaw, Mahinmi, Gallinari, M Gasol, P Gasol, Valunciunas, Montiejunas, Dragic, Udrih, Ibaka, Koufos, Ilyasova and Turkoglu.

Luckily none of those guys are in the top 10 European players.

Reply #429154 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"I hate to break it to you guys, but Euroleague and FIBA have STRICT salary rules.
No team is even allowed in the league at all if they don't play players in full.
FIBA won't even allow a team to even SIGN any players if they are not paying players.
Stop believing every propaganda nonsense that US media churns out."

Cool Story Bro, try telling Kirk Penney who is currently chasing owed wages from Spanish Team Baloncesto Fuenlabrada whom he played a season with before moving to Turkey.

Reply #429168 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

The Greek teams are the worst especially at the moment with the way their economy is going. I talking to a player playing in that league he said that only Olympiacos and Panathinaikos pay on time if at all!

Reply #429169 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Unfortunately, the salary gap between high level Europe leagues and the NBL is such that even if Ingles only received 10% of his european money, he would still be earning as much as what he would in the NBL.

I think its clear Ogilvy came back to Australia because of necessity and not choice. He must not have been able to find a deal anywhere else.

Reply #429170 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I don't think that is necessarily true about Ogilvy. I think he could have found a deal elsewhere in Europe, but his number 1 focus for the next 12-14 months in making the Boomers team for the World Cup. To do that, he has to play regularly, and also work on a few aspects of his game. Given he can achieve both these things under a coach who knows what it takes to make it to the international level, and do it in his hometown, coming to Sydney for a season ended up being a great option. I would be very surprised to see Ogilvy in the NBL beyond next season, but you never know I suppose.

Reply #429171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers his #1 priority nice I like that Vart!

Reply #429177 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Also remember that while some players make big money in Europe a lot don't, the amount of money available in most countries there has dropped significantly in recent years as you would expect given the financial troubles most of the continent is facing.

Reply #429180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA rules - no team can SIGN ANY PLAYERS if they are behind in salary payments.

Lots of TROLLS and LIARS in this thread.

Reply #429280 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:17 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754