Isaac
Years ago

Boomers squad of ten for Canberra camp

David Andersen / 212cm / Centre-Forward / 23 June 1980 / Free agent
David Barlow / 205cm / Forward / 22 October 1983 / Free agent
Ryan Broekhoff / 201cm / Guard-Forward / 23 August 1990 / Valparaiso University (USA)
Matthew Dellavedova / 191cm / Guard / 8 September 1990 / Free agent
Dante Exum / 198cm / Guard / 13 July 1995 / AIS
Adam Gibson / 188cm / Guard / 30 Oct 1986 / Adelaide 36ers (NBL)
Joe Ingles / 204cm / Guard-Forward / 2 October 1987 / Free agent
Nathan Jawai / 208cm / Centre-Forward / 10 October 1986 / Galatasaray Liv Hospital (Turkey)
Brad Newley / 199cm / Guard-Forward / 18 February 1985 / CB Gran Canaria (Spain)
Ben Simmons / 203cm / Forward / 20 July 1996 / Montverde Academy High School (USA)
The training camp will be held from 26-30 July at the Basketball Australia National Centre of Excellence at the AIS in Canberra.

The Boomers will tip-off preparations for the 2013 FIBA Oceania Championships with a larger training camp to be held in Canberra at the start of August.
Really only have three bigs and Simmons is a SF/PF, so you could say it's just Andersen and Jawai?

What's the read on this roster? No point testing the Knights and Worthingtons this time around because the big spots will fall to Bogut, Baynes and so on when things get real?

If that's the case, and this is blooding/testing a few college kids, I like that.

Shows that Jawai is in the picture and that Lemanis is looking to start a relationship with him as a potential frontcourt x-factor.

Only current NBL player in the squad is a 36er.

Topic #32228 | Report this topic

YouknowME  
Years ago

Jawai is absolutely an X factor, I am glad as hell that Jawai is back involved in the national team.

I think the squads really more for those who havent been brought in yet for this year, Gibson is there because in a squad that plays 5 on 5 your going to need another point guard... this is for Delly, Cadee has proven his worth over the past few games. Bairstow also would be a good chance for the series, I would expect there to be atleast 1 more camp yet. This is going to almost be our A squad against New Zealand... when you consider all the names that are in the mix (this is looking at everyone who has been involved this year plsus new names)

I would expect the following names are in the hunt for spots

Delly
Patty
Cadee
Gibson
Exum
Broekhoff
Newley
Ingles
Blanchfield
Steindl
Gliddon
Goulding
Barlow
Ingles
Simmons
Petrie
Bairstow
Anderson
Jawai
Nevill
Baynes..

The core of the Aussie team is putting there hand up. this is a great sign moving forward.

Reply #429222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Baynes suddenly a lock? He only got into the Olympic team because Bogut was out.

Reply #429223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know if these practise sessions are open to the public? Wouldn't mind checking out how the team works

Reply #429224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YouknowME... Are you Jason Cadee? Either that, or you really love the guy!
OVERRATED!

Reply #429225 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Seriously Anon? Why is Baynes a lock? Have you not watched him play the past couple of years?

Reply #429226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Maric, who was in the team before Baynes, and also played at the 2010 World Champs is suddenly not even considered?

Reply #429227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes deserved his Olympic spot last year imo he is ahead of Maric and equal to Andersen and Jawai. It's great to see Jawai back on board I admit to being a doubter.

Reply #429228 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Aron Baynes got NBA SUmmerleague all star selection. Enough said.

Cadee has performed extremely well in the past 2 tournaments.

Reply #429230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

read the article..

"in one of their first core camps to set the team's direction on the road to the 2016 Rio Olympic Games under new Head Coach Andrej Lemanis"

He has kept it small to focus on the next likely stars dante and ben, while including Ryan giving these guys some veterans and key players and opening the door to Nathan Jawai, this is really really smart. my read is he is telling them right from the start you guys are important we need you.

the coach knows guys like Patty and Aron will be there no matter what in the future and bogut will always be selected if fit. then there are is only one or two others to select later on...

read also
"Lemanis said the main focus of the camp would be setting the scene for the Boomers on the road to Rio over the next three and a half years.

"One of the most important things for us going forward will be consistency: establishing the Boomers' style of play," Lemanis said.

"From a coaching point of view, I also want to understand how we best service our players overseas; how we keep them connected to the program while they’re away and how we best keep those lines of communication open."

finally
The Boomers will tip-off preparations for the 2013 FIBA Oceania Championships with a larger training camp to be held in Canberra at the start of August.

Reply #429231 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

This was originally scheduled as a 'guards and bigs' camp, which is not something I've ever seen on a BA calendar before. But as mentioned above, I think Lemanis is simply using it as a chance to spend some time with the core guys he hasn't seen yet, prior to the main camp on August 8-13 prior to the Oceania Champs.

Reply #429232 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Australia B Vs NZ C, may the slaughter begin.

Reply #429233 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Baynes is second on our centre depth chart behind Bogut, it's that simple.

Reply #429234 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Mystro, judging by the guys that have made themselves available for this camp, I think it will be closer to Australia 'A' (minus Bogut) that actually turns up to play.

Reply #429235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro, Will BJ Anthony make the kiwi team so Jawai can mess him up again?

Reply #429236 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think Exum is going to make Gibson look silly.

Reply #429238 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Did you even watch Maric last Olympics? Australia has a fair few centers above him in the pecking order its fair to say.

I am most excited about Jawai being back.

Reply #429240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously Anon? Why is Baynes a lock?
Baynes in his own right has earned it, but when you add to it that he is on the same team as Patty (in the NBA no less) then it is a absolute no brainer, they can use combinations, high low, etc etc, hopefully they stay together for a while.

Reply #429242 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Yes this is very much Australia A minus Bogut, a great show of confidence for the new coach and moving forward... our best players putting there hands up for a dead rubber series against a weakened foe. Thats the way boys!

Reply #429243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree MACDUB Exum is ready to play against NZ.

Reply #429245 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Even if the participants weren't chosen for the reasons posted above, Andrej Lemanis comes across as an intelligent coach and informed decision-maker: I trust the direction he's taking the team and can't wait to see his vision of the "Boomers' style of play" in action.

Reply #429248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope those 2 add say Bairstow and Mills play against NZ.
(Assuming Baynes and Bogut are unavailable)

Gives a team/rotation of

C Jawai/Bairstow
PF Andersen/Barlow
SF Ingles/Broekhoff/Simmons
SG Mills/Newley/Exum
PG Dellavedova/Gibson

Looks pretty good to me and would be great to run Simmons and Exum as 11th and 12th man to give them some exposure to a senior international series.

Reply #429250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless you live in Canberra, don't get too excited. The rest of the country won't be able to watch it because it won't be on TV

Reply #429251 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Pretty sure it will be on NBL.TV

Reply #429252 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Also Anonymous Baynes will be available...

Reply #429253 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anon,

I like your team above...good lineup.

Only change i would make is take Gibson out, put Goulding in and move Exum to PG.

So the guard lineup would look like:

Mills/Exum
Dellavedova/Newley/Goulding.

Reply #429254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes will be available and I think Bairstow will be playing for Lobos instead I could be wrong

Reply #429255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh ok, well swap Baynes in for Bairstow,

makes the team even better!

Hope it is on NBL.tv or something, would love to see this series

is fiba.tv going to cover it? i think they have in the past, even if its 'on demand'?

Reply #429256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills isnt a point guard. He doesnt play point for the spurs or the national team.
Maric is a better centre than jawai

Reply #429257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maric is a better centre than jawai

Lies!

Reply #429258 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Baynes..this is probably why he's considered a lock, amongst other things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlieN3cvQyg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YunFw76LMnY

Reply #429260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny that no one considered Baynes a lock before the Spurs signed him.

Reply #429261 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

as for televising email basketball aus here [email protected] and pester them on it.

Reply #429262 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

anonymous I wouldnt say 'no one' considered him before then. I am not sure if this is the same anonympus but one of you is a shit stirring asswipe.

Reply #429263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Funny that no one considered Baynes a lock before the Spurs signed him."

Prior to the olympics no one considered Baynes a lock, but with that effort and his continue improvement in europe that lead to the NBA I would say most people who followed him would have.

Reply #429264 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

^ this

Reply #429265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha! No one even talked about his performance in Europe until the Spurs signed him.

Reply #429267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, it's good to see Simmons in the squad- he will be awesome in the future. Not sure if he's ready yet though, only averaging 11 points a game in the Big V.

Reply #429269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True, I'm sure we're all mature enough to realise Baynes would not be in the NBA (nice solid big man he is) if not for Brett Brown at the Spurs.

I'm sure BB being at the Spurs went a long way towards Gaze getting another NBA call up in '99 and Shane Heal too in 2003 when Heal was in semi-retirement.

The NBA for the most part is about who you know not what you know.

Reply #429271 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I DID hear about his european exploits, and I liked everything he did at the Olympics. So NO its NOT because spurs signed him.

Did Brett Brown help Aaron get signed? Undoubtedly... But I think Aron is going to stick around in the league now he is there.

Reply #429273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not talking about YOU, jerkoff!

Reply #429275 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

^ +1

Reply #429276 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

oops, I meant +1 to YouknowME, not the troll

Reply #429277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The NBA for the most part is about who you know not what you know."

well this forum should be about "what you know"

there's this thing called google and you can use it to find out/check all type of things like where brett brown was in 1998/9 when Gaze was with the spurs and in 2003.

do I need a spoiler alert for any other than ^

Reply #429278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry +5^

Reply #429279 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

I do agree with who ever suggested Gibson be removed and Goulding be in the team......100 percent

Reply #429282 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Yeah, with some of the pG's coming up.. I think he has served his purpose...

Reply #429284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well this forum should be about "what you know"

there's this thing called google and you can use it to find out/check all type of things like where brett brown was in 1998/9 when Gaze was with the spurs and in 2003.

do I need a spoiler alert for any other than ^

My mistake, I forgot BB wasn't at the Spurs in '99 he joined them in 2002, the year before he no doubt helped Heal a gig there, he coached Heal at the Sydney Kings.

Reply #429287 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

But to be fair, more people then just BB would have to like U for u to get a gig. If ur a complete dud yet BB has a man crush on ya, your not going to the NBA just because of it. lol..

Reply #429289 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I don't mind this team. A bit of experience, a bit of youth and a chance for some to shine and learn off some of our best.

Reply #429290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is saying Baynes is a complete dud. He's just not really an NBA standard player. He was playing in Slovenia which is right down the line for national leagues NBA scouts follow. What I'm saying is you kinda don't go from the Slovenian league to the NBA without a bit of help. BB with ten years standing at the Spurs and being Bayne's national team coach most certainly would've sold the right people on Baynes.

Reply #429291 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Baynes is not an NBA standard player? are we talking about the same Aron Baynes who was a summer league all star and gave Dwight Howards the absolute shits on D?

Reply #429292 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Aron, like many aussies before him will be subject to scrutiny by the the redneck Tall Poppy syndrome element.....dickheads!

Reply #429296 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Tall Poppy Syndrome.... the cancer of Australian Culture

Reply #429298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YouknowMe- Haha, Summer League doesn't mean shit! Have you seen the list of Summer League MVPs? A lot of them are duds! Baynes COULD be a good NBA player, but he hasn't proven himself yet. He averaged 2.7PPG and 2RPG, don't get ahead of yourself.

Reply #429299 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

not ahead of nothing.. I never said he was an NBA allstar, just a summer league one. I am not blowing it out of proportion. He did well in Summer league and was a handy rarely used NBA roleplayer so far. Still, I think he is of NBA standard and I think he is actively proving it.

Reply #429300 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"No one is saying Baynes is a complete dud. He's just not really an NBA standard player. He was playing in Slovenia which is right down the line for national leagues NBA scouts follow."

Seriously? He was leading the Euroleague in rebounding!

Reply #429309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Roleplayer"? Haha! He was a benchwarmer. And again, Summer League means NOTHING

Reply #429311 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Role player, Bench Warmer... You really are just splitting hairs.

Reply #429313 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Just wanna add, people should pester Basketball Australia about the NZ/Aus series coverage

[email protected]

Reply #429320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummm, no... Role players play a role! For example Shane Battier, Danny Green, JJ Redick. Bench warmers hardly get on the court!

Reply #429321 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Alright... Benchwarmer. Whatever... just go away basically. One minute your debating he shouldnt be a lock for the Boomers... then we prove he should be and your trying to make it sound like hes not good enough for the NBA when clearly he is and will be. Did Aron Baynes fuk your girlfriend at some point? Whats your deal dude? seems like no matter how many times your woft is discredited you try to make him sound shit again. OK... NBA Benchwarmer... right now, and what are you? A C grade Social player or something? No ones pretending hes a superstar, but he is a 'bench player' on one of the deepest teams in the NBA...

Reply #429323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't prove that he should or shouldn't be a lock. It's a subjective matter.

I never said he isn't good enough for the NBA; I said he hasn't proven that he is yet.

What does my ability have to do with it?

Yeah, he is a bench player on one of the deepest teams? So what?

Honestly, it's like you don't even know what you are arguing about.

Reply #429326 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Well maybe a few are commenting as Anonymous... I think people should use names so we know who to direct things to.

Reply #429327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean why is Baynes automatically ahead of Andersen, Jawai, Maric, etc etc?

Reply #429328 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I am not sure he is, but his performance in Europe last season was better than all three and his performance in London was better than Maric.

Reply #429331 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Did anyone ever say ahead of Anderson and Jawai?

Maric goes without saying...

Reply #429335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait, so Andersen and Jawai are locks too?

And Aleks Maric was in the All Euroleague first team- deserves a look in.

Reply #429337 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

anon saying baynes is a dud... so many heros on the internet these days. Would love to see how you would go in the NBA...

Reply #429339 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Most people here couldnt even cut it in Div 2 social ball talking about how shit NBA bench players supposidly are.

Reply #429342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is saying that he shouldn't be a lock for the national team calling him a dud? You guys seriously need to improve on your reading comprehension!

Reply #429343 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Hes a lock. thats all there is too it. Him and Delly form a great 1-2 punch... Not sure why anyone would want to scrap what worked best at the olympics.

Reply #429346 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Good to see them going with upside for the first time in a while, rather than "guys who have already hit their ceiling and simply can't cut it in international ball". Except for Gibson, who fits the above descriptor, it's a nice squad.

Reply #429352 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

It seems like Baynes will never get the credit he deserves. When he was the last man added to the 2010 World's team I was surprised, I thought Ogilvy deserved that spot more at the time. But Baynes has just gone from strength to strength since then. He was named best centre in the Greek League in 2011-2012, and everyone thought that was a joke, saying things like 'the Greek league isn't what it used to be' etc etc. Then he goes to London for the Olympics, and is the Boomers fifth-leading scorer with 7.5 ppg, 3.3rpg and an impressive 65FG% in only 12 minutes per game. He then gets a call up to Union Olimpija, a Euroleague team, and all he does for them is collect 14ppg and 10rpg, take a look at the stats below;

EUROLEAGUE 2012-13 REGULAR SEASON RANKS
Ranks #1 in 2-pointers attempted (92)
Ranks #1 in 2-pointers made (54)
Ranks #1 in Offensive Rebounds (39)
Ranks #1 in Total Rebounds (98)
Ranks #1 in Index Rating (182)

He WOULD have been called up to the NBA eventually, but yes, I agree, Brett Brown's Boomers-Spurs connection clearly expedited the process, but its not like BB has the final say on personnel decisions for the Spurs, Baynes' contract would have been signed off by Buford and Pop. AB was never expected to play a significant role this past season, if anything, he probably exceeded the Spurs' expectations. His time will come, he will be a solid role player for them over the next few seasons.

Sure, he has areas of him game he needs to work on, such as not getting into foul trouble, but for mine, he is our second best centre right now behind Bogut, and slightly ahead of Jawai. Given Bogut's injury history, both of these guys (Baynes and Jawai) should be locks for the Boomers for the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics.

Reply #429353 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

youKnowMe, Does it really matter what grade they currently play social basketball? Everyone is entitled to an opinion on the forum and your acting like the beesknees of everything. You thought the NBA Draft ran backwards for gods sake. Instead of correcting other people and launching an atttack on there basketball skill which is unrelated to this conversation just acknowladge their opinion.

Reply #429354 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Why exactly did Maric suddenly start sucking? For the couple of tournaments prior to London he looked really great for the Boomers -- tough body and soft hands around the cup -- but Baynes just well and truly eclipsed him since then.

Why such a backward step for a guy in his prime?

Reply #429355 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Mick, I wouldn't say Maric 'sucks', he's coming off a pretty good season for Lokomotiv-Kuban in Russia (), but I agree, he looked absolutely terrible and outclassed in London. It is clear that he was injured just prior to the Games, though this was never discussed in full detail. I agree though that he appears to have reached his 'peak' early with that All-Euroleague First Team season with Partizan in 2009-10 when he was 25. Perhaps going to Panathinaikos wasn't such a great decision after all.

Personally, I've always felt that he was destined to be a back-up for the Boomers, such was his role for the 2003 Emus, if on the Boomers at all.

Reply #429356 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Sorry, I was supposed to put some stats in the brackets () above.

Maric averaged 11.5ppg and about 7rpg across both the the Russian League and Eurocup, and his team did win the Eurocup, so not a 'bad' year.

Reply #429359 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah sorry that was meant to be "sucking in the green and gold", not a comment on his club game. He looked like a completely different player in London. It was like he and Baynes swapped skillsets/brains or something. Because the last time before London I saw Baynes play I wasn't impressed at all, and then he steps up big time and has carried that form on to the NBA....

Reply #429361 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I agree Mick. Maric and Baynes did a complete 180. Unfortunately we'll never really know how much Maric's injury affected him in London. One thing I do know about Maric, and this isn't just in London, for a 125kg guy nicknamed 'Truck', he gets pushed around under the basket an awful lot. I never like to see that trait in a big guy.

Rightly or wrongly, I think Maric has fallen down the pecking order for the Boomers. He's probably fifth or maybe even sixth on the centre depth chart right now. Assuming Bogut is not available, and also assuming Andersen is not available (I initially thought there would be no way in the world he would play in the upcoming Oceania series, but seeing him name in this 10-man squad, perhaps he will) I would play Baynes as the starting centre, and probably take Jawai and Nevill as his back-ups. Two back-ups may be seen as over the top, but Jawai and Nevill bring completely different skill sets, and I just feel that Baynes still has a tendency to get into foul trouble quickly, hence the need for a third string centre coming off the pine.

Reply #429365 | Report this post

den33  
Years ago

Why not take out the whole, he's a lock because of the NBA blah blah, and say he is a lock for his genuine work rate, his professionalism on and off the court (something the boomers are focusing on) and his ability to work well with other "lock" players..

Not taking anything away from anyone else who made the Olympics, but it's hard to find someone who deserved his spot more then him...

Reply #429367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly Baynes is a lock on then 2012 Olympics alone, the fact he has gone from strength to strength since is a cerdit to him.

Reply #429368 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Well said den33!

I would also add, he's a lock because of his unwavering commitment to the national team program since 2009. He has virtually been a part of everything the Boomers have done in that time.

Reply #429369 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Marics pre-london injury isnt something I had thought about much... guess he could work himself into a position again.

Reply #429373 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd put Baynes ahead of Anderson now. Anderson doesn't give you anything resembling a post presence; he can only score off fade aways from 10+ feet out against any half-decent big men, and he struggles guading NBA calibre bigs down low. Personally I don't think Anderson should be on the team at all. If for no other reason than how the hell can you ride on the shoulders of a big man who shaves his god damn arms and armpits? I'd rather take a punt on Jawai as a high risk / high reward player. And a guy who does not have a life goal of looking like a goddamn ken doll.

I'd say there is no way Bogut is missing Rio. It will be his last chance to play Olympics in his "prime" years. After missing London, he'll be there.

Reply #429374 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I totally agree Mick. Andersen's form has been slipping. Brown tried playing him at the four-spot in London, which didn't really work. He'd be fourth or fifth on the depth chart at the centre position.

I also agree about Bogut doing everything he can to be in Rio, but it certainly pays to have a contingency plan given his injury history.

Reply #429375 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The two biggest questions for me when thinking about this roster going forward for Spain & Rio are:

1. Exum and Simmons: are they all they are hyped up to be? If so they could both realistically be starting calibre players come Rio so it blows the roster wide open, if not, well then we will see a similar team to London with Jawai in for Anderson, and Exum and Simmons rounding out the end of the bench for Gibbo and PC's London spots.

2. Can you play genuine, old-school bigs at the four at a top flight internationl comp any more?

Ie. can guys like Jawai, Maric, Baynes etc play at the four in this day and age, when you bear in mind a guy like Carmelo Anthony (MVP of London games) will be playing at the four for the US, for example? With that short FIBA three point line you almost can't afford to have a non-shooter at the four or five...

It's somewhat ironic that at a time when we are finally spoilt for choice for quality Aussie big men, the game has moved on to the point where a roster carrying four back-to-the-basket bigs is now a liability in terms of mobility, and shooting the three is more important than ever in modern basketball (ie. the thing we used to be great at but are now terrible at).

Are we better off carrying only two or three genuine bigs at the most into a top flight comp (ie. WC or Olympics), and grooming guys like Ben Simmons or Joe Ingles to start at the four?

Or do you just put your ten best guys on a team, regardless of position and hope it works out?

Reply #429380 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

All great questions Mick.

1. Only time will tell, but yes, if they end up being as good as predicted, then they will both likely be starters for the Boomers in 2016. Neither of them have yet really been able to define their positions outside of Exum being a guard, and Simmons being a forward. So in reality, they will probably be able to slide between positions depending on match-ups.

Exum is interesting, as it seems all the college guys want him to become a big point guard, Penny Hardaway style. I'm sure deep down though, Lemanis probably want him to be a deadly shooting two-guard, a guy that can get buckets either at the rim or from outside anytime he wants. Maybe he'll be able to do both?

2. In short, no, I don't think so. I personally would never want to see Jawai, Maric or Baynes playing the four-spot for the Boomers. Stretch fours are the way to go. Again, Simmons may be able to play this role by the time we get to Rio, if not, hopefully Motum can.

Shooting has cost us big-time in the last couple of major international tournaments. I'd rather see four guys on the floor that can shoot the ball well, and put a traditional big like Baynes or Jawai in the middle to crash the boards.

Reply #429389 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I dont think we lack stretch 4's. Motum, Petrie anyone?

Reply #429398 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I wouldn't exactly call Petrie a 'stretch' four, he only shot the three-ball at 33% last season. And unfortunately Motum is not yet proven at international level (neither is Petrie for that matter).

So, at the moment, unfortunately we do lack in that area.

Reply #429401 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

think Anderson could be used at the 4?

Reply #429403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could Barlow play some minutes as a stretch 4 off the bench?

Reply #429417 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

YouknowME, Brett Brown tried using Andersen at the four in London, but it didn't really work. Sure, he could give you a few minutes there I suppose, but he's really been a five man his entire career, and always will be.

The fact that people keep talking about trying to turn true centres in power forwards probably highlights the lack of viable options we have at that spot.

Power Forward and Shooting Guard are the Boomers two weakest positions at the moment. I know this is blatantly obvious to everyone, so I'm sure Lemanis is all over it too.

Reply #429419 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I think he could. He has been miss-used by Brett Brown, has a solid but ugly 3 point shot.

Reply #429420 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Barlow could be a short-term solution as a stretch four in spurts.

Again, Brett Brown tried this in the lead-up to London. He ran a line-up in the Greek series that consisted of Ingles, Newley, Worthington and Barlow (I can't remember who was in the middle at the time, would have been Maric or Baynes I suppose) with Ingles running the point. I really liked the line-up, we were tall and athletic with decent shooters, and Ingles was able to be creative at the point. But BB obviously didn't agree as he abandoned this combination pretty quickly.

Reply #429422 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anderson has an ok shot but doesn't have the mobility to play at the four.

Reply #429425 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

With Jawai, Baynes and Bogut I don't think Andersen will get a look in at centre and agree he is too slow for the 4 spot, Motum,Bairstow and Petrie look to challenge for that spot with Simmons in the mix from 2016

Reply #429431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Simmons is in the league he plays starting 3/4 whichever spot is weaker.

Reply #429435 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

If everything tracks as projected for Ben Simmons, he will have just been drafted into the NBA a couple of months prior to Rio. Hopefully it will be as the number 1 pick just like Anthony Davis was prior to playing for Team USA in London last year!

Reply #429437 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Are Boguts injury and insurance issues going away for Rio or has everyone just smoked a joint and forgotten all about them?

Reply #429438 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What insurance issues?

Reply #429439 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Insurance has never been the reason Bogut has missed a tournament.

Reply #429440 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

What youknowme said. The insurance issues were the reason he never played in the NBL during the lockout. Haven't ever kept him out of an olympics or WCs. Only issue is injuries.

Reply #429442 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The bloody insurance question again. Again!

Injuries obviously no one can control, but Bogut has never missed an Olympic Games or a World Championship due to insurance issues.

Reply #429443 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sorry if that is not the case.

I can remember not that long ago people on here were of the opinion that Bogut prob wouldn't be back in a Boomers uniform again.

what has changed?

not that it's a massive deal with Baynes rapidly improving and the Boomers never having a problem with size.

Reply #429445 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I can't speak on behalf of others, but I for one have always thought Bogut would LOVE to play for the Boomers again. He was always relished representing his country, and has even gone above and beyond going to camps, and acting as an assistant coach when he couldn't play due to injury.

If his body will allow it, he will wear the green and gold again.

Reply #429448 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If I recall some of the posts you are referring to correctly, I think that's more of a case of an anonymous poster saying something "controversial" to get attention than anything fact-based.

Reply #429452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Insurance was NBL related to payout his contract if he got injury an the Bucks walked away from his deal....as he would have broken the paid competition section so allowing them to walk if he got hurt.

Others got the insurance but due to his medical casting doubt on the ankle I surfers thought he was a bad risk so they wanted a lot of Premuim!!!!

Reply #429456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whose Cpt of the team?

Reply #429464 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"If I recall some of the posts you are referring to correctly, I think that's more of a case of an anonymous poster saying something "controversial" to get attention than anything fact-based."

thanks Mick.

Reply #429466 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon, the 'team' per se has not yet been announced, so at this stage neither has the captain. The 10 guys named in the original post above are simply going to Canberra for a preparatory camp.

Reply #429469 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Exum and Simmons inclusion very very exciting for Aussie bball. One just turned 18 and one just turned 17 - thought they were a little older - wow.

Reply #429474 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Mystro, I am one of those who believes that Bogut will never be a Boomer again, though I sincerely hope I am wrong. IMHO he maybe an outside chance for Rio 2016, but only if he wraps himself in bubble wrap 24/7 and avoids walking in gentle breezes between now and then. I very much doubt he will suit up for WC.

The above posters are correct, only injury has prevented his appearance for the Boomers in major tournaments, never insurance. I believe the NBA lockout may have prevented his appearance for the Boomers in the Oceania series of that year and playing some games in the NBL due to insurance, but they were both probably off the cards anyway.

Personally, I was unsure whether insurance would be an issue for major tournaments if Bogut was out of contract in that particular year, but I have been led to believe that this is not an issue. It was only the exceptional circumstances of the lockout that complicated matters. I defer to those more knowledgable on the subject to explain further.

Reply #429477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut hasn't played a single game for the Boomers in 5 years, I doubt he will every play a game for the Boomers again and think we should just all move on.

Reply #429478 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Bogut has said himself recently he wants another Olympics. I think if ever healthy, we will have him for the Worlds and Olympics. I genuinely think he wants to do it. he is in the second half of his career... he wont have these opportunities again after this Olympics coming.

Reply #429479 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Anonymous... Luc LOngley had a long time between playing for Australia. think it was like 88 and then 2000? either way just because he hasnt, doesnt mean he wont... Hey, we all wrote off Jawai til yesterday and hes been out for about as long!

Reply #429480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you cant replace gibson with goulding and have the same team structure, gibson is a genuine pg who can stretch to sg although lacking in height for that position whereas goulding is a streaky sg/sf and yes he has talent but not as a replacement for gibson

Reply #429481 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Gibsons a good player, I like him as a 36er... but I just dont see these great 'point guard specific' skills that make him a Boomers point guard. Good defender, streaky shooter... Ok passer, he doesnt have the Basketball IQ of dellavedova, doesnt have the quicks of cadee or ability to push the ball... I would have him on my NBL team any day of the week but wouldnt neccesarily bother with him as a Boomer anymore... the intangibles that he brings are already there in other people.

As for Goulding, Goulding is kind of a poor mans Newley/Ingles.... Might have a place as a 3rd option ar shooting guard, but has a way to go before knocking off the big dogs at that spot. I like his ability to create his own shot however, and has a bit of that Shane Heal about him where he doesnt mind just throwing it up and seeing what happens which is a mindset that few Aussies outside of Patty Mills have.

Reply #429483 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

YouknowMe is right, well almost (Longley did play in '92) Bogut has played in 2 olympics and 1 WC. I'm sure he will play again for us only injury will prevent that happening.

Reply #429484 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

The sad part about when international players become NBA players with decent roles, is the international teams do lose them a bit to the NBA. I am sure Bogut is one of atleast 20 players in the NBA who has had to miss many national team commitments... people act like hes turned his back on his country or something... I don't think thats the case at all.... It is just the reality of being an NBA player where your health and ability to stay in shape for them is worth literally millions of dollars.

Reply #429487 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Thanks aussieboomers4eva.

Reply #429492 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

for the record I inhaled

Reply #429499 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

inhale flatulence

Reply #429502 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Jawai ; (like erin phillips) it's good to seeya back
Bogut when contracted just needs a little bit of a topup from BA to cover insurance.

Reply #429504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youknowme, Longley didn't play between 1992 & 2000 and even though Bogut bagged Longley when he was drafted his career is starting to mirror Longley's in a number of ways just minus the championships.

Bogut is a free agent this time next year and no way will he play at the 2014 WC, contract or not. If he does play for the Boomers again (which I highly doubt) it will probably be at the 2016 Olympics and he might not warrant selection by the time the 2018 WC comes around.

Reply #429509 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

yeah it has mirrored Longleys, so far time is showing who has had the most success of the two. I would argue Bogut is more 'talented'... but just like peoples argument against Lebron all those years "wheres the rings?".

Truth be told none of us know whats going to happen between then and now, we could experience a sudden pole shift and be wiped out as a species. What I do know is, if healthy, and able... Bogut will make himself available as his prime starts to end in the next few years. That kind of "guarantee" is all we can hope for right now.

2014/16 could be one hell of a team. A young core thats been around for a long time, plus some of the most exciting youngsters we have ever had. Wont Anderson be a bit long in the tooth by the time the worlds/Olympics are on though? Hes like 33 as it is... will be 34 by the worlds and 36 by 2016...

Reply #429511 | Report this post

juno  
Years ago

Hold up, youknowME thought the NBA draft ran backwards? Is this for real? Funniest thing I've heard in a long time!!

Reply #429515 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

@Mystro, is that the Kronic thing again? LOLz, good times :P

Reply #429516 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Well I have never taken the time to sit amd watch a draft... so, and yeah I mean I thought the players were pre-selected and they just waited til the end to present the Number 1.

Reply #429517 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The one thing Goulding has is balls, for better or worse.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Boomers have too many super-efficient players: guys who only take open shots and take what the defense gives them.

Which is fine, but what happens when the defense gives you nothing? The whole offense grinds to a halt because no one can probe and prod the defense into giving them something that the defense doesn't want to give them. We have lots of guys who are fantastic role players, but are missing that one guy that the team can ride and look up to when the chips are down. Now Goulding is obviously not that guy, but he does give the team something in that department if that's the direction they want to go down.

Gibson is NO NO NO NO NO. He has played in top flight comps before and looks timid, frightened, and entirely over matched at either guard position. Plus he can't shoot. No.

Reply #429565 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

Mick - I could not agree more with your comments,Gibson is not a good scorer,is undersized and so is Paddy but Paddy scores and is lighting quick and is great on assists.Della 2nd PG and Goulding 3rd or SG. I saw Goulding working out with Irving at the clinic at Knox and seriously he shot the ball as well as Irving.

Reply #429573 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I'm with Mick but I disagree slightly in one area - I reckon Goulding is now good enough to change a game though his offense.

Reply #429575 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Well said Mick. In some respects, a lot of these super efficient players you speak of are guys that have come out of the AIS system, and it's great to have a bunch of players like that. But my one criticism of the AIS program over the years, is that unless you have an absolute superstar guy in the group, like Bogut, and perhaps right now Exum, then everyone is forced to play the team game, and no one really learns how to be 'the man', and carry a team on their back. Combine that now with our 'best' players playing overseas, mostly in small reserves roles, this problem is further compounded.

Hopefully with Ingles going to Maccabi next season, to play a bigger role, he might be the guy that can develop into being able to put the Boomers on his back in crucial situtions.

I don't think that Goulding is a guy that can fill this 'superstar' role that we crave, but he is a guy who brings energy, creativity, confidence, and can score in a variety of ways. I think the Boomers could really use him off the bench, if for nothing else, just to change up the look of the team, and give Lemanis a bit of an 'X factor' that we currently lack.

Reply #429584 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think there's much problem with personnel, it's just about getting them playing as a unit in an offensive system that allows them to succeed.

As much as Brown succeeded with halfcourt defence, he failed utilising his players offensively and tried to fit players into roles rather than the other way around.

Reply #429586 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I wasn't specifically saying there is a problem with personnel, the flip side of the AIS program is that there is an enormous amount of talented players produced to a level capable of playing international basketball, hence the amazing depth we now possess. Rather I was just saying that for all of those players, aside from Bogut, there isn't anyone else that you could say is a genuine superstar, someone who when all the coaching, strategy and systems fail, can put the team on their back.

Reply #429587 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Great call Vart.

Couldn't agree more.

It is why the Emus have always traditionally been so strong. Because the AIS teaches them a team game, and most if not all Emu's players were also AIS teammates.

It helps at FIBA events and AST (which Aus won in 2010).

Reply #429596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Junior coaches more worried about results than trying to get a Simmons & exum thru in every age group.

We should be teach 1 or 2 studs in each age group how to be the man and the US style of ply cause that what's gets us more guys in NBA an hopefully winning Olympic gold & not chasingbU17 glory!

Reply #429601 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754