Vart
Years ago

Australian Boomers 'Green vs Gold' Showcase

I've been following the pre-match USA Basketball Showcase on twitter this morning, and was thinking that this type of event would be awesome to promote the Boomers. A potential 'Green vs Gold' match could easily be staged at the end of a major camp, with out best 24 players competing. Who would pay to go and watch these following hypothetical teams go at it?

Green vs Gold

Baynes Jawai
Motum Knight
Ingles Newley
Goulding Gliddon
Dellavedova Mills
Nevill Andersen
Bairstow Petrie
Barlow Worthington
Madgen Broekhoff
Gibson Cadee
Exum Simmons
Blanchfield Steindl

Topic #32247 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

Oops, sorry about the formatting, it looked better when I typed it out, not sure what happened to the spacing?

Try this;

Green - Baynes, Motum, Ingles, Goulding, Dellavedova, Nevill, Bairstow, Barlow, Madgen, Gibson, Exum, Blanchfield

vs

Gold - Jawai, Knight, Newley, Gliddon, Mills, Andersen, Petrie, Worthington, Broekhoff, Cadee, Simmons, Steindl

Reply #429604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the idea! Send it to BA

Reply #429606 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I would send it to BA, but it kind of makes too much sense, therefore I don't think they'll go for it!

Reply #429611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

love the idea, would be great, also need to get it on tv!

Reply #429612 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yup, I would take the boys and look forward to it, great idea, so simple isn't it....?

Reply #429615 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Vart, send it to Gaze for promotion and I'm sure it will get a better response than straight to B.A.?

Reply #429616 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

this is great!

Reply #429619 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Normally these ideas are a bit optimistic, but if done at the end of a camp where players were already in town and marked as an exhibition and an affordable price, it could be effective.

Would be better if the teams had a real incentive to win so it wasn't just an all-star game.

Reply #429620 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

But it's not an All-Star game, its 24 guys fighting it out for the final 12 spots on a Boomers roster. If timed right, it could be the camp just prior to final preparations for a tournament.

Reply #429621 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So, like a selection or try-out game?

That could be interesting as players will still try to stand out as individuals but the emphasis on the team win may be an issue...?

Still, love the concept, well worth considering...

Reply #429622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow got to love Stiendl on your list.... Guy doesn't even avg mire than 5mins game time in NBL

Reply #429623 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Perhaps Bear, but it would come off the back off a 5-day camp in which all the players roles would have been clearly defined. So it would be more of a case of putting guys into positions similar to that which they would play if they made the final team.

Agree, it's a bit optimistic, but it could be valuable tool, both in the development of the players within the framework on the national team, and also for BA to promote the heck out of the Boomers for once. A lot of basketball fans say they don't know who these guys are, here's a chance to put them all on the hardwood together for the public to see.

And the game would be great. I've watched many Boomers scrimmages over the years, and they've been fantastic. I remember Delly ripping one up just prior to the 2010 Worlds, hitting three's from everywhere, and taking it right up to the established guys. It was great to watch!

Reply #429624 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Funny how many of us keep saying the same thing; just wish it would get to the right ears.
http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/31476-boomers-possibles-vs-probables/

I like your idea, Vart - there's more chance of it happening after a camp than any other time.

Reply #429625 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

For sure, like I said I'm there with bells on mate, love the idea (if only it could be played in Melbourne?)...

Or, would you think it could be two games??

Reply #429626 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Fair dinkum Anon #429623........it's purely hypothetical.

Reply #429627 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I like the idea.

Should have 2 games.

One with your lineup above, and one completely different.

That way, you see which players can play with combinations of players, instead of those who can only perform well with one unit.

Reply #429628 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Yeah hoopie, it would have to be straight after a camp, it's really the only way that it would work. And from that group of 24 players, the coaches would make their final cuts to get their approximately 15-man squad for the next and final camp prior to the tournament.

I guess it could be two games Bear. As for location, I'm not sure. Perhaps Gold Coast? Then that way hoops fans could make an annual holiday trip/weekend out of it?

Reply #429629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If done at the end of a camp, I'd like to see the team selected play the guys who missed. Billed as "one last chance to challenge for a position"

Reply #429637 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Definitely a great idea but please no media. Closed Session

Reply #429668 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

In a sport itching for media coverage and attention, why would you not want media there to see the country's best?

Reply #429673 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I'd much rather watch a meaningful game like this than the NBL All-Stars game.

Reply #429704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would just be a glorified ASG guys that know they're locks (a good 8-10 players) wouldn't go that hard. It would be the lesser lights on the fringes that would be pushing.

Reply #429705 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Somehow, I don't think the locks would let their egos get bruised.

I can't see someone like Patty sitting off Goulding and getting burnt for 20 points.

Reply #429717 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Because of the proposed game being one of importance only from the point of view for selection (and maybe an ego or two), I reckon have each team's coach only allowed a maximum court time per player.

This way once your 15-18 minutes is up, you are done and the other bloke gets his chance, that way every player gets to play even minutes and the coach of each team has to be aware of his match ups...

Also, any profits from tcket sales should go towards a charity, that will make it more appealing to go for the public, take the whole family and sell out any stadium to be used...

Reply #429720 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Like it, Bear

Reply #429724 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

It makes too much sense to happen.

Reply #429726 | Report this post

slammin  
Years ago

The Green v Gold games have been done several time before at the end of training camps. It is not a new concept.

Reply #429731 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, let's have a go at naming it then shall we...?

I'll start with:

BOOMERS GREEN v GOLD SERIES GAMES 1 & 2

Vart's original is also good:

BOOMERS GREEN v GOLD SHOWCASE

Follows in the footsteps of the USA, anyone have ideas...?

No need to be a troll either!

Reply #429732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasn't been done like this

Reply #429733 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

It's never been done publicly slammin, on a big stage, in an arena, in front of thousands of fans and a national TV audience.

Reply #429735 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

This is not a new concept.. Intra-Scrimage and possibles vs probables are nearly always run inside training camps.
The difference would be actually making it a showcase event and inviting the media to it.

Reply #429738 | Report this post

slammin  
Years ago

It has been a showcase event with ticket sales - 1500-2000 people. The Opals have done it before as well.

Reply #429742 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

When?

Reply #429743 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

That's actually a pretty crash hot idea. Reckon it would sell out any arena in Australia with just a modicum of marketing if it could get those names.

Reply #429806 | Report this post

slammin  
Years ago

The last Green v Gold games I was involved with were maybe 2004 for the Boomers and 2005 with the Opals. Brian was coaching the men, Brendan was asst coach. Stirling and Fox for the Opals. I am sure that there have been others since. Remembering not every year is a selection year for World Cup or Olympics.

Reply #429842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds Great!

Reply #429858 | Report this post

Very interesting

Reply #429859 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I like bear's idea and with most of our best players overseas im sure fans would pay to see a match getting a charity involved is a good idea

Reply #429861 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:35 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754