obvious
Years ago

can we plaease have a junior ref that....

1) is not associated with the club we are playing.

2) is not best friends with the team we are playing.

3) does not hug her friends in the other team after they win and ignore the other team.

I have just about had enough of shelling out good money and time - driving across town for this sort of business awaiting us regularly.

Topic #32260 | Report this topic

obvious  
Years ago

please

Reply #429799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry but Mike & Mark like it that way. What stadium were you at?

Reply #429800 | Report this post

Referee  
Years ago

Sadly without them you have no game

Reply #429801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I respect referee's I don't respect people disrespecting the game.

Reply #429802 | Report this post

obvious  
Years ago

yes i know - we should not take it so seriously just laugh and let it happen - but it is something i would never do and that's why it has made me shirty.

Reply #429803 | Report this post

obvious  
Years ago

thanks i have had my rant I can sleep now and spend my time elsewhere in the future

Reply #429804 | Report this post

fooled no longer  
Years ago

gotta love the flurry of multiple foul calls made in the last 3 mins when things are done and dusted to at least get their team to half the amount of our foul calls

Reply #429808 | Report this post

Cooper  
Years ago

Must have been playing at Eltham high or leisure center

Reply #429810 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

There should be a separate sub-forum for unregistered posters to start threads about how their local club team was hard done by on the night before by the refs / officials / by-laws / etc.

Reply #429819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Second that motion!

Reply #429827 | Report this post

Off the show  
Years ago

Tissue?

Reply #429831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sad fact people forget is people volunteer for this, kids expect to be treated,fairly. Parents pay good money. I get that refs volunteer and the game doesn't happen without them BUT they forget the games is not about prejudice, make up calls in the backcourt and influencing the outcomes. So why does this happen? Lack of reeducation of officials, lack of accountability.

Reply #429835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should say some officials

Reply #429836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny we were playing at the Montmorency Secondary College and it was so bad. Must have been the same refs you get at Eltham High or Leisure Centre?

Reply #429845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't volunteer they get paid therefore its a job therefore they should do it correctly

Reply #429847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, they do get paid but equally the std of officiating is usually around the same standard as the game they're officiating so if your kid is playing u14 c grade don't expect NBL level officials on your kids game.
Equally you should be focused on either coaching the kids or cheering for them and not on the officiating.

Reply #429850 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

^ the kids learn the rules and how to approach the game indirectly from the referees. If bad calls are being made is it the coach's job to correct legal actions from their players, or tell them to keep the same mindset despite the whistles?

Reply #429851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9 times out of 10 at junior level when a referee makes an error it's based on their judgement not correct application or interpretation of the rules..
I.e block v charge etc.
Inexperienced refs will make mistakes just like inexperienced players.
It's the coaches responsibility to teach their kids correct defence, not to travel etc, its equally the coaches (and parents) responsibility to teach good sportsmanship and accept decisions regardless of your or heir opinions and just play on.

Reply #429853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches and parents do not have the right to correct officials though when they make mistakes, that is the referee supervisors job.

Reply #429854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Obvious........which stadium did this happen.

Reply #429856 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oh no, hugs!

When it's a thankless job paying peanuts and likely to attract kids local to the area, I think it's inevitable that a ref is going to know someone on a team and perhaps not hide that friendship outside of the game situation. I remember the glory days of complaints that were actually about impartial calls and not just things that suggested bias.

Reply #429860 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

What's clearly happening here is that the ref in question has direct connections with South Australian underworld figures and is embroiled in a Tim Donaghy-esque corruption/blackmail scenario. It's the only logical explanation.

Reply #429864 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I heard that they wore a South singlet under their ref shirt and they're a plant.

Reply #429866 | Report this post

Cedar  
Years ago

My main point of concern would be that BSA doesn't have anybody involved on a regular basis to correct referees on a weekly basis. And hence the standard has decreased at an alarming rate to the point where on a weekly basis it is impossible for the people paying for the sport to have any confidence that a fair and impartial game will ever occur.

Reply #429869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pay referees more money,then will get good referees back If You ask doorkeeper how much goes through the door to pay for each parent player and spectator,minus the referee payment ,the amount is in 4 figures on a Friday night surely give junior referees a pay rise.Victorian junior referees better than SA referees.

Reply #429870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA last financial year gave a pay reduction, yet expect ref's to pay a membership fee which entitles the holder to nothing. No union no representation. There is plenty of referee coaches just BSA not funding it. More money for the management expense accounts.

Reply #429876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, even in Victoria it's getting harder and harder to attract and retain referee's for domestic duties on a saturday.
When you consider all the crap they have to deal with from coaches, players and spectators and the modest pay they get versus working at coles or maccas its no wonder.
Clubs need to take a far more active role in teaching good sportsmanship and enforcing the code of conduct amongst coaches, players and spectators or we'll start to see more and more games predominantly officiated by 1 official which would be a disaster.
The ranks are frighteningly thin enough amongst the senior elite panel who do SEABL/BigV, we don't need to see the grass roots eroded any more.

Time everyone looked at this issue seriously.

Reply #429880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Struggling Saturday am in Adelaide than in Victoria,kids want to hang out at night with their mates than referee for a few dollars and cop the abuse,that's why standard of referee has gone down big time.my next door neighbours son referee last year,copped a lot of abuse ,no backup or support as other umpire and court supervisor left to get Mcdonalds and since then hasn't refereed ,he gets more pocket money now that's the real reason kids don't want to referee,senior referees won't come out as they know the pay is crap.One note ,very few committed referees around these days.

Reply #429882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's because BSA don't support it our want to pay for it, they killing it off. Mike has no idea how to promote good relations or support referees. He should be sacked to be honest he does nothing positive just sits back paid monkey.

Reply #429884 | Report this post

Rumor Monger  
Years ago

Good one Isaac apparently a lot of people wear south singlets under clothes LOL

Reply #429887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo/Bridgeman claims to have visited stadiums.

District nights since that combo started i havent seen them at all,i heard from another source that they dont work weekends.

Gibbo doesnt have passion in basketball,only there for a paid job by BSA same as Bridgeman too,he left Wayville UIC job because he got fed up with Social abuse weekly.
BSA dont really worry about standard of Friday Saturday refereeing.

Reply #429892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson gets out and about I've seen him but Bridgeman doesn't. I highly doubt Hubbard ever goes to games. Gibson's problem is he has no people skills and hence most Refs don't rate him or his feedback. Since his involvement the US v THEM mentality/relation has not improved.

I don't believe that Mike cares to much about improving conditions for referees or players to be honest.

Reply #429902 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

sorry to rain on your parade 902

but Hubbard DOES attend Friday night games

saw him at Pas a few weeks ago

but hey..don't let the truth get in the way of your bitching...

Reply #429905 | Report this post

Cedar  
Years ago

He came once to make sure the kid who moved mid season didn't get taken out. One game in 5 years ghastly counts. Just proves that he doesn't attend except when it actually matters to him.

Reply #429908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

guess they were not country referees then

Reply #429922 | Report this post

hughj  
Years ago

People make mistakes!!!
Referees make mistakes,
Coaches make mistakes,
Players make mistakes,
Ricey made a mistake?
I think S.A referees are the best in the country!!!!

Reply #429925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nice coming from someone who lost

Reply #429980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hughj

If your SA referees are the best in the country I query why you only have 3 in the NBL and no FIBA qualified referees now that Haines has retired.

Reply #430016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Fair call, also how can an ABL rostered umpire have such a heavy involvement with a club play in the men reserves and not be classed as a conflict of interest?

Reply #430023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so you'd rather ABL umpires with no playing or coaching experience at District Level? That's just stupid, then you'd be the first complaining about how they don't have a feel for the game.

The best referees all have playing and/or coaching experience.

Reply #430025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 025

Who on the NBL referees panel has any sort of Coaching or Playing background at anything other than domestic level? (MacDonald excluded)

None of the top 10 currently in Australia have any background in playing or coaching at an elite level.You could stretch that to the entire 28 on the panel actually.

Reply #430029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that's true then I feel sorry for the NBL players.

Read a thread about NBL referees and you'll find every single one of them bags refs for having no feel for the game.

What's the downside?

Reply #430033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because you have played or coached doesnt mean you can referee and visa versa. Some people just cant referee, they get on the court an the concept of mechanics, blowing the whistle, signalling etc is foreign to them.

The bottom line is the top 10 to 15 referees in Australia are there because they work on their game, self assess/analyse etc

Their results overseas at international events have shown that they are respected around the world and are equal to the standard in Europe.

There is a massive difference though from semi-professional referees to domestic juniors.

It is very difficult to retain referees least of all attract referees to the game just purely for the abuse factor. And the kids do pick it up generally referee at their home associations so therefore they are going to know players and people they referee. What needs to occur is better supervision on game night and also some nurturing to educate the referees that yes you may know joe blow in that team but you cannot be seen to be cuddling etc as that just gives off the wrong impression so whether the referee is biased or not the impression is there that they are.

Better education around how referees conduct themselves on and off court, plus better supervision and in some cases where necessary better rostering to minimise any perception of any "conflict of interest".

Reply #430037 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Anon: 430029

Before you just on here and act like a know it all tool bag, check your facts before you spout off.

For starters Benn Mac actually hasnt achieve anything as a player of coach in SA. He is simply a referee wanting to understand the game more. He is now putting back into the club and BSA are trying to crucify for it.

And yes there is one (SA BASED) NBL official that AS A COACH AND PLAYER has achieved alot more than even current players and current coaches. Sit down and have a chat with someone that actually knows what they are talking about and you'll find out who.

Reply #430309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phantom you might actually want to read what was written and too whom it was referred.

The reply was to Anon 025's comment:

The best referees all have playing and/or coaching experience.

That statement is not true of the NBL referees panel as a whole and they are the best in the country.

And saying that I wasnt bagging Benn at all I was excluding him as the anomaly he is because he is coaching. I know Benn personally and I think it is fantastic he is giving back and learning more about the coaching side of the game which can only help his refereeing because he should have a better ability to read offenses etc

So possibly read the whole thread and put it in context first.

Reply #430320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So all the people arguing that people shouldn't be involved in coaching or playing if they are umpires are idiots
I played, than I started umpiring an when you first start as someone already said you focus on calling the game and where to stand and nothing else
I quit playin and focused on my umpiring for a year and that was good to improve my umpiring and rule knowledge but lost my understanding of the game
Went back to playing and went hold on I would want that called I I'm playing so I'm going to call it an players respected me over over referees as I called the game they wanted to be called
Than I started my coaching, and I started to see the game through the eyes of coaches and how frustrating it is, so I was able to communicate with coaches better and they respected me more
And because I umpire this way I will never do div 1 seniors or div 1 youth league because I don't umpire the way that the top umpires want me to umpire, I umpire the way the players and coaches want the game to be umpires
I have had plenty of coaches asked why I was only doing what I'm doing and that is my response every time, because I'm not going to suck up to the referee coaches to get those better games

So because I do this have been associated with a couple of clubs and there is not one club that I don't have friendships at, so to the original complaint so what if they hi someone before their game, an not afraid to show affection to their friends. Get over it and don't be jealous, and if you think they are being bias maybe take of your rosé coloured glasses and realise that the court supervisors aren't stupid and will notice if something's ammist but won't talk to them so everyone can see it will be done behind closed doors
For writing this you may have destroyed that referees chance to prove themselves in the near future and this is why we have a referee shortage in Australia, so please put your hand up for umpiring so you can see how difficult it is, and not sit behind your computer writing shit about referees on hoops. Big tuff person you are

Reply #431570 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754