paul
Years ago

New Zealand v Cameroon

The Tall Blacks beat Cameroon 63-62 tonight with a Mika Vukona free throw the game-winner. Corey Webster again led the way with 13p and BJ Anthony had 11.

For Cameroon, former Buck and now King Luc Mbah a Moute scored 13 and guard Christian Bayang 20. Cameroon went undefeated through the prelim rounds of the last Afrobasket and lost to Angola by a point in the QFs so they are no slouches.

Topic #32269 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cameroon ranked 42nd in the world and has never qualified for an Olympics or World Championships.

Reply #429985 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Yes but for that to be a fact, they need only be slightly below Angola on a regular basis.

Reply #429986 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Good effort from the TallBlacks after a couple of tough games against China.
Anthony playing well is hopefully a good sign for the Sixers and I'd expect Cory Webster to have a much bigger offensive role for the Breakers next season although I like Corletto starting at SG.

Reply #429990 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think anyone who bases their argument on world rankings automatically disqualifies themselves from the discussion.

Reply #429992 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

You mean like KK constantly does paul? ;)

Reply #429994 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You just made my point better than I ever could!

Reply #429996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another good example why making comments based on rankings and or Olympic games/World Championships attended.

Turkey are ranked 7th in the World. They finished 2nd to the USA in 2010 at the World Championships. They have not competed at an Olympic games since 1952!

So by the statement attributed to Cameroon if you use the same logic in reference to Turkey they are rubbish because they havent qualified for and Olympic games in 60 years!!!!

Reply #430005 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah. I think the rankings are an ok guide for the top few teams who regularly play in the major tournies, but once you get past 20 it's really hit and miss, especially with a country like Cameroon that was out of international basketball for a long time until recently.

I think for NZ missing 7 of their first 12 to beat them is a decent effort.

Reply #430012 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"rankings slave."

Reply #430015 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yeah not a bad result when realistically only Abercrombie, Vukona & Cory Webster are locks for the Tall Blacks and you have a 17yo and a couple of 18yo kids out there playing against grown men.

Reply #430043 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Honestly, Abercrombie has stiff competition when it comes to been the starting SF for the Breakers.
Henry was always going to back him up because hes that defensive minded perfect role player type.

But Te Rangi will surprise people.
I will not be shocked at all if Te Rangi outplays Abo on a number of occasions.

Reply #430055 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Macdub, TeRangi is going to be a star.
The kid is only 18 and already has range on his jumpshot and his athleticism is right up there.

I think TeRangi will find it easier to put on the muscle/bulk to handle the contact in the paint compared to Abercrombie who is still pretty skinny despite a fair bit of time in the gym.

Abercrombie will be a huge help in developing TeRangi at the Breakers and Tall Blacks. Not a bad player to have to go up against every day in practice.

Reply #430064 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Not a bad effort at all!

Reply #430068 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

Liking the hype around Te Rangi. Haven't seen him play much as I'm based in Europe..

Does he have NBA potential?

Measurements?

Can he only play SF??

Reply #430090 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He grew up in Auckland and is only 18/19 and is 197cm.
He was a part of the NZ FIBA World Youth 3 on Championship team with Isaac Fotu and Tai Webster.
Unlike his team mates Fotu & Webster who are both playing NCAA this year, TeRangi was convinced by the Breakers to turn down US College offers and instead commit to the NZ club and in turn they would commit to him and his development.
He already has a nice jumshot that extends out to the 3point line to go with "Abercrombie like" athleticsm.
He recently won a title with the Southland Sharks in his second season in the NZNBL.

Reply #430097 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ beat a Canadian NBL devt team 92-65 overnight, Webster with 16p, young centre Jack Salt with 16p & 8r and Abercrombie with 13p & 5r.

http://www.basketball.org.nz/tall-blacks/tall-blacks-win-second-on-tour/

Reply #430102 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ lost to Cameroon 77-64 overnight. Report didn't give any scorers but Abercombie didn't play with his ankle injury and Vukona was also limited by injury. They really need those two fit next Weds or it could get ugly. Has there been any word on whether Pledger will be back for the Oceania champs?

Reply #430692 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I think its going to get ugly no matter what they do!

Reply #430695 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ beat Missisuaga of Canada 99-90 tonight. They led by double figures for most of it before a shootout in the final term with benches on the floor.

Anthony and Vukona scored 15, Frank and Webster 14, Te Rangi 12 and Kenny 11.

If he is 1-point, and he should be, Perth could do worse than Jarrod Kenny for their back-up PG spot, given I imagine Martin and their import will play most of the minutes there.

With Kenny you know he will defend like his life depends on it every possession, and there are worse things to be known for.

Reply #430753 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I believe Pledger is available for the Oceania Series just wasn't available for the China Tour due to "personal reasons".

Reply #430755 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's good to hear, hopefully he's in shape.

The Tall Blacks finished their tour with an 83-70 win over CBA team Liaoning, Corey Webster scored 16, Vukona 12, Anthony 10 and young big man Jack Salt 10.

That gives them a 6-3 record in their build-up, and while not all the competition was world class they would have to be pretty happy with that given who was available.

The big questions now are around Abercrombie and Pledger's fitness. If they can run a main rotation of Pledger, Frank, Vukona, Anthony, Abercrombie, Te Rangi, Webster, Kenny and Bartlett they are disciplined enough to at least keep the Oceania series competitive.

But if those two are struggling then it will take every trick Nenad Vucinic has up his sleeve (and there are many!) just to stop from being pantsed.

Reply #430848 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754