Isaac
Years ago

36ers starting five - too hard to pick?

Pre-season will probably give Joey a good picture of his best starting group, but who do you expect to see starting in the first game? Seems to me that there are a few reasonable options.

Also, which player are you most keen to watch and see how they will go this year? For me, I think probably BJ Anthony. Didn't realise before this off-season that he could make the three. Combine that with some hustle and I'm hoping he'll have a big year off the bench for us.

As for a starting five, I think the Ervin/Gibson guard combo would be locked in. SF would depend on Mitch's recovery or how Frye goes. And who knows in the frontcourt where we have three quality options. Could see Petrie getting the start. I imagine a few might suggest DJ as first sub.

I can see him being on court at the end though in place of Schenscher, regardless of who starts.

Topic #32276 | Report this topic

KB3  
Years ago

DJ
Petrie
Creek
Gibson
Ervin

Also predicting the 36ers have a special treat up their sleeve which will blow the roof off the place if it happens

If it happens Creek wont start

Reply #430119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are right Isaac, DJ was 5th in the league in scoring and 1st in rebounds last year, so no way will he come off the bench. Petrie and DJ to start and Schensher and BJ off the bench.

Reply #430123 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There's a lot of depth in this team, it's tough to pick starters and we could see them change throughout the year. To start with mine would be:

Schenscher, Petrie, Frye, Gibson, Ervin

If Johnson hasnt improved his defence I could see Wright finishing with a smaller line-up at times:

Petrie, Anthony, Creek, Gibson, Ervin

Reply #430124 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Ervin
Gibbo
Fyre
Petrie
DJ

Reply #430125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson will have to show a lot more enthusiasm on defence for Wright to be happy with him.

Reply #430126 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

Bring on the season already...!

Has any team gone from last to playing in the Grand Final?

Id be happy with a finals birth though this year!

there are a few teams whom have recruited well this offseason... be very tight up the top...

Reply #430127 | Report this post

bethdavis10  
Years ago

"Has any team gone from last to playing in the Grand Final?"

South Dragons

Reply #430128 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

Thanks #bethdavis10

"South bought that ring ditto Brisbane Bullets..."

hmmm...

interesting though...

Reply #430129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't want to lay any money on who the starting five will be but I would put my house on Luke getting injured during the season doubled up on Joey getting frustrated with DJ's defensive intensity!!

Reply #430130 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Ervin
Gibson
Creek
Petrie
Schenscher

DJ to sub in to spell whichever of Schensch or Peach picks up the most early fouls. Frye in for whoever out of Gibbo and Creek does the same. Easy money.

Reply #430131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every team buys their championships - hopefully 36ers have this year!

Reply #430132 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Having said that you will see DJ start at either the four or five at Peach or Schensch's expense which will keep the rest of the league competitive with Adelaide, thank God...

Reply #430133 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Ervin,Gibson,fryer,Petrie,Johnson. Handy bench with Luke,Mitch creek and Jason Cadee my tip 3rd.

Reply #430134 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Will Adelaide have the strongest bench this year? Really only Teys (one point filler, but at least has had some time in the league) who couldn't start or provide a great bench option. Looking good on paper.

Reply #430135 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Think Petrie is a lock at the 4 spot.....onyl due to the league playing alot of small ball...i think DJ & Schen on hurts us on D.

Reply #430136 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is a very good bench. Cairns and NZ at this stage have very good ones too:

Cairns - Burston, Young, Steindl, Import, Bruce
NZ - Trueman, Lazare, Te Rangi, Bruton, Webster

Reply #430137 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers bench may be better.

Webster
Bruton
Terangi (has a jumpshot to go with athleticism)
Lazare
Truman

Reply #430138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knowing the way Joey likes his teams to play I wouldn't be expecting to see Schenscher getting a heap of time on court and DJ will have to prove he's willing to get his hands dirty and not just do the easy stuff

Also if the new SF import doesn't perform straight out the box look for him to get replaced quick smart, Joey has always got someone up his sleeve just in case

Reply #430139 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

It is too early to call who the starters will be.

Our new coach will provide new expectations and new pressures on the players, there will be new defensive systems, new roles for players..... i am expecting some players will be un-recognisable from last season.

Ditto new fitness coach.... hoping he will have an impact also.

Reply #430155 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

My money on:

Ervin
Gibbo
Fyre
Petrie
DJ

Creeky is coming back off of injury so fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
Luke is 31 and also with a back injury so I think he will be used off the bench for impact.

That should be a pretty fast tempo 5. DJ is too agile for most centres so should give them the slip. Peach has the grunt. Gibbo is probably happier being a 2 and Ervin is someone who comes across as liking to control the tempo and the game.

Yep, got my tickets sorted out, and no didn't worry about a $30 discount, the club can have that and give Skip a decent haircut.

Reply #430159 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I have no understanding why you'd consider DJ off the bench... He will try and be leading scorer at 1/4 time even if he didn't start!

Big Luke can dominate still can you'd imagine he will come on when opposition centre is a little tired and Schenscher is better than every back up centre in the league (minus Perth is we get Dunigan).

I expect Adelaide to play more predictable than say Wollongong, Townsville, Cairns and Melbourne on who is on the court at any one time!

As for who am I looking forward to watching the most in a 36ers jersey this year?

Absolutely Jason Caddee; I been saying all along that Marty playing Jason so much last year will be great for his development and this season is a make or break for him. I'm calling Caddee for Most Improved Player for 2013/14

Reply #430165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I the only one interested at what KB3 was hinting at in the first reply...?

Reply #430182 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

My starters

1-ERVIN
2-GIBSON
3-FRYRE
4-PETRIE
5.JOHNSON

FOLLOWED BY

SCHENSCHER
CADEE
CREEK
BJ ANTHONY

GOT BEST LINEUP WE HAVE HAD FOR AGES,WE GOT SCORERS HOPEFULLY NO EGOS AND EVERYONE SHARES THE SCORING .

Reply #430184 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I agree with starting Petrie... I don't think the 'twin tower' experiment really worked last season. Bit skeptical about starting Johnson, but then again I would also be skeptical on Schensher... well judging by his form early last season atleast. Johnsons play in the China series worried me a lot.

I agree Cadee for most improved.. and lets hope Creek busts out this year or he may-as-well just take up the AFL offers.

Reply #430187 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You can't play inside out with Johnson. He doesn't know how to pass the ball. Schensch can hit cutters or shooters on the perimeter and can set the scene for the game.

But yeah it all depends on how Joey wants to play.

Reply #430196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget Schensch went to two SF with the Crocs essentially as the focal point of the Crocs offence as a facilitator, he's an excellent passing big man.

Throw in the championship with Perth and playing a big part in the last 36ers team to make the playoffs versus DJ and I'd be starting Schensch & Petrie.

Reply #430275 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I got the impression KB3 was talking about Jarid Fryer.
Mitch Creek looks a million dollars . Reminded me of Patrick Dangerfield (Crows) in the way he moved.
Me, I'd start Ervin Gibson Fryer Petrie Schenscher
pretty good TEAM.

Reply #430299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel, it's Jarrid Frye.

Reply #430313 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Nope, thats not it Camel

Reply #430324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who KB3?

Reply #430333 | Report this post

Acie Earl  
Years ago

Well what the fuck is it then ? Or do you get a hard on from these guessing games ?

Reply #430334 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

That escalated quickly.... lmao

Reply #430360 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

I'd be surprised if it's not

ERVIN
GIBSON
FRYE
JOHNSON
SCHENSCHER

As much as Peach deserves to start, he's a great weapon off the bench. DJ would also be handy offensively the bench and Schensch could be a game changer to bring on when other team's rest their best big...I just think we'll start the season with twin towers though. Do expect Schensch to only get 20-25mins a game this year and be saved for specific matchups/games.

Reply #430534 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I got the impression Petrie and Schenscher are team players, DJ plays mostly for himself and NZ, Perth not as strong as last season.

Reply #430536 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely Dante Exum , KB3

Reply #433589 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:46 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754