Isaac
Years ago

Crocs announce Kelly as asst coach, Maccas sponsor

The Townsville Crocs have retained the sponsorship of McDonalds and added Mike Kelly as assistant coach:

The Townsville Crocodiles have announced club legend and two-time NBL best defensive player Mike Kelly will be assistant coach for the 2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons.

The dual citizen (American & Australian), whose 13-year NBL career included a starring role with the Crocs from 1999-00 to 2003-04 and a championship with the South East Melbourne Magic in 1996, will fill an important coaching and mentorship role for the talented and young Townsville roster.

Crocs coach Shawn Dennis said Kelly's experience in the league would make him a crucial part of the team's line-up.

"Mike was one of the league's all-time great defenders, a hard-nosed player who put his teammates first and left the game as a champion,'' Dennis said.

"With a young and athletic roster, Mike will provide unquestionable leadership on the defensive end and help our players find their way in our fast-paced system.

"Along with being an NBL champion, Mike played in six NBL Finals series, and that's the kind of big-game knowledge that's crucial if we're to meet our goal of being a genuine contender this season.

"Mike was a top candidate for our coaching staff and we know he will be welcomed with open arms by everyone at the club and the many loyal Townsville Crocs fans.''
Full article

Topic #32278 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Good move. Will help fill the joint again!!

Reply #430171 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great to see Mike back, have fond memories of watching him play.

Reply #430173 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Good to hear! Saving Townsville is hugely important for the League.

Also, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but... good on you, Townsville Maccas!

Reply #430181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roger Ramjet ;)

Reply #430183 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Buzz Lightyear!!

Reply #430189 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Good signing. Hopefully he can bring a bit of grit and grind.

Reply #430195 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With Dennis and Kelly I think your team will be a lot more gritty and grindy this year Mick!

Reply #430237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both tough players. lets hope the players reflect this on court.

Reply #430244 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Dennis does keep pushing the "exciting, fast brand of basketball that will be fun to watch". Mentions it specifically in newspaper articles, and letters to members in their renewal packs. They've certainly signed the team for it.

Reply #430247 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Does anyone know where this leaves Liam Flynn???

Reply #430252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Liam Flynn was sacked at the same time as Woolpert was? Isn't he currently coaching in the SEABL or something?

Reply #430272 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Liam Flynn was sacked along with Woolpert as part of that coaching staff clean-out. Just finished coaching in the NZBL with Nelson and now not sure if he is affiliated with a minor league here in Aus.

The only question mark about the roster regarding the "fast, exciting brand", is the rotation at the 5 spot -- two of the slowest bigs in the league, if not the two slowest.

I love the way this team has been put together in every other way, from coaching staff down to guys 1-8, with the only exception obviously being that we need a proper starting centre and we only need one of Hinder or Vanderjagt backing them up (i'd pick Vandy).

Reply #430287 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754