Isaac
Years ago

Caps contract hour late, LJ signs OS instead

LAUREN Jackson says it was "a matter of principle" that led to her walking away from a potential deal to play with the Canberra Capitals this season.
Jackson's agent, John Elliott, is believed to have sent at least four requests to Canberra for an amended contract to be signed between July 19 and last Friday.

But after Canberra failed to sign the deal by close of business on Monday, Jackson made the decision to pursue other playing options overseas.

It is understood Basketball ACT boss Tony Jackson faxed a signed copy of the contract almost an hour after the deadline but Jackson stood firm.

Jackson said she “wouldn’t be walked all over” when it came to her playing career.

“I feel like it was a very strong decision I made,” Jackson said.

“Absolutely, it was the principle of it.

“I had to make that decision and I had every right to make that.

“I’m not angry, I’m not sad, it’s just business, right?

“There was a deadline there and I made my decision.

“I already knew what I was going to do if they signed and if they didn’t sign. I didn’t feel like I could go back on that — and that’s where we are right now.

“There’s not much more I can do, especially when there’s other offers on the table. I have to do the right thing by those people, too.”
"Not much more I can do" - well, you could wait an hour, but hey. Wonder how much principle equals money here?

Still, her call and it'd be interesting to see what ACT's excuse is.

Full article in the Border Mail

Topic #32283 | Report this topic

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's not just a matter of an hour though, they had a whole 9 days to sort it out beforehand. You dick someone around like that for over a week, you shouldn't be surprised that it bites you in the arse...

Reply #430230 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I know basketball administrators are not the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree but what part of "deadline" did they fail to understand?

Reply #430231 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not to mention all it would have taken is a phone call before the deadline to say, "Look we are just jumping over the final couple of hurdles over here to get this thing signed and returned to you, and we understand the deadline is at xyz:pm, but if you can just give us a short extension we will have it back to you at abc:pm."

Not hard.

Reply #430232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deadline is a deadline. Meet it or don't meet it.

You can't stuff people around indefinitely, deadlines are necessary in order to make decisions.

Reply #430234 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Will be interesting to hear the other side of the story.

Reply #430235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Lauren signed a million dollar 5 year agreement with the Caps in 2011, thanks to funding by BA and the ACT Government.

Surely LJ is breaching this 5 year deal now?

Reply #430236 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think that deal was for three-of-four years, 2013, 2015 and 2016. These negotiations were for a different deal to cover 2014.

Reply #430238 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Why was 2014 not in that deal?

Have never seen that before: a contract with a year in the middle of it not covered...

Reply #430240 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's not like you're dealing with someone dodgy either... LJ has proven her dedication to Australian basketball both locally and internationally for many seasons, so enough I guess was just enough.

Like Mick said above, it's not hard to keep lines of communication open, it doesn't have to be a last minute thing. If it's going to take a week before the person can sign off the final ammends to the contract, let LJ's agent know, don't duck their calls or make them call repeatedly...

Reply #430241 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mick, I imagine there was a gap to allow Jackson to make greater money overseas, but with 2013 in to capitalise on the Olympics.

Reply #430243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems that these negotiations were to amend the dates from the original deal, so that Jackson would play with the Caps this year but not next year - it was to change the seasons around which formed the contract.

Reply #430251 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sure, there was a deadline, but there's also surely a grace period with an existing customer/client/business partner. It's not like they stalled for days or weeks after the deadline. It was an hour. Seems pretty harsh and heartless to me.

Reply #430264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says to me she actually wanted to play elsewhere this year and not with the Capitals...simple as that

Reply #430266 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

why is BA paying Jackson $200,000 per year to be in the WNBL. They dont leverage that at all hard enough if it is true.
Keep in mind BA didnt have any money to help out Bogut and his insurance bill when he tried to play NBL as well

Reply #430268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long does she wait though? And looking at things I would suggest it is more likely the Caps or Basketball ACT were trying to get out of it:
- In talks since February about an deal.
- Convinced Jackson was over her injury, a contract amendment was sent on July 19.
- Capitals advised they couldn't meet payments, so Jackson said she would accept delayed payments.
- 4 requests were sent to the Capitals to sign the contract amendments BEFORE the deadline was imposed; that raises the question of over how many days were those requests sent before they felt the need to impose a deadline?

All that info is found in this article:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/basketball-star-lauren-jackson-wont-play-for-capitals-in-wnbl-in-2013-20130730-2qwrf.html

What makes this even worse is that last week on the 26 July, 2 stories were released to say the Capitals would be announcing Jackson's signing this week - this is a passage from one of those articles:

*The Capitals confirmed to Fairfax Media on Friday a contract was yet to be officially signed, but it is understood to be a formality.

Canberra will hold final discussions with Jackson's management at the weekend, before making an official announcement late next week.*

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/capitals-boosted-by-jackson-20130726-2qq67.html#ixzz2aaT6nxqi

If they (Capitals & Basketball ACT) really wanted Jackson to suit up this season, why keep delaying the signing of the contract?

Reply #430269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone say China.....??

Reply #430270 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Good on her for standing firm.Business is business!!! Hope she makes good coin in China.

Reply #430280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All for the money!

Reply #430286 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

Quite a few supporting Lauren which I can understand. Communication break-down is the culprit here. Both sides were playing games and both have probably come away worse for it.

I wonder what the reaction would be had Liz Cambage made the same call in a similar situation....

Reply #430413 | Report this post

Questions  
Years ago

I think as Boti said there is much more at play here.

Its not like LJ doesnt have a contract with the capitals. If she had really lost faith then she would be looking to get out of the remaining 2 years.

What would be interesting is whether the Caps and BA paid her for all of 2012/13 season when she didnt play a single game or if there is an injury waiver in the contract.

If she got paid all last year and the club stood by her then pretty poor repayment of the faith that the club had in her by giving her financial security over a long period of time given her recent run of injuries, to run off for a better offer.

Would have liked to see her repay the faith.

Perhaps the club was deciding if they thought based on medical reports she was worth the money for the 2013/14 season, before signing. I imagine most of her contract is from 3rd party sponsors, which maybe they club couldnt get a commitment from in the time frame given by jacksons management. If either of these were the case, then it owuld have been irresponsible for the club to sign an extension and potentially cripple the program for the 13/14 season. just possible senarios than could have caused this.

Truth is we will never know

Reply #430456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it is public money paid to Jackson it must be explained to public what exactly happened !

Reply #430482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^TMK^^^ - Very good point made, if it was Liz instead of Lauren!

This forum would have blown up with everyone calling for Liz's head in this situation. Something really stinks here & my mail tells me that ACT Basketball are dying to tell their version of this story at some point soon. It's not as clear cut as the Jackson Camp would have us beleive!

Reply #430485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems pretty clean cut to me. Basketball ACT had a deadline, and they missed it.

Reply #430513 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'513, if you arrange to meet a friend at 7pm, and they're not there on the dot, do you give them a bit more time or walk away and cancel the evening?

I think the way you approach something like this depends a lot on the relationship. That she walked away from it suggests the relationship isn't brilliant and/or that she wanted the alternative more (e.g., great excuse to take more money and play the "principle" card).

Reply #430515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, What if the meeting was scheduled for weeks ago, but you delayed till 7pm the next week, then the next until finally you have to go or you will miss out altogether.

Sure seems harsh but simply getting their shit together and signing the contract before 7 would have meant LJ was there this season.

Reply #430527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - in that same scenario though, if the friend was running late wouldn't you expect them to notify you that they are running late?

Look at the timeline of events:

- Been in contract discussions since February.
- Cleared of injury problems with an amended contract sent through on July 19; the amendment being the 2nd playing year of her contract was brought forward by a year.
- Jackson advised she would accept delayed payments when Capitals informed her that they couldn't meet the player payments.
- Jackson's management sent 4 reminders to the Capitals to get the deal signed BEFORE they set the deadline of 5pm July 29.
- News story released on July 27 that Jackson will line up for the Capitals this coming WNBL season. While they admitted the contract wasn't signed they called it a formality.
- 5pm, July 29, no contract has been signed and Jackson walks away.

How much time did the Capitals need to sign the contract? Its not like the contract was sent to them that morning and they were told to sign it by 5pm that day; the 2 parties have been in discussions for months. If the Capitals were serious about having Jackson line up for them this season, and as they said last week that signing of the contract was only a formality, what was the delay on their behalf? And if they were going to be delayed in the signing of the contract until 6pm, why not inform Jackson & her management?

Good on Jackson for sticking to her guns. Obviously the Capitals didn't get the contract signed until after the 5pm deadline, but I wonder if that was before or after they were told by Jackson's management to not bother - and in the end they signed it to make them not look so bad and to give the impression that Jackson was impatient. So how much more time was she to give them, if they said they needed an extra day and that continues to drag on at what stage do you just draw the line and not accept being walked over?

Reply #430528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great summary above. LJ has always appeared to have had a good relationship with the caps over the years and on the surface of it, it appears they simply were too lazy to get the paperwork done in a timely manner.

Reply #430532 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isaac - in that same scenario though, if the friend was running late wouldn't you expect them to notify you that they are running late?
That would be nice, but if they didn't, I'd still wait for them. An hour in the scheme of a multi-week negotiation is mere minutes in the example I've given. If I'm going to be five minutes late, I'm not going to bother texting.

It's not uncommon for me to have a tender deadline weeks out and it come down to the final afternoon, and sometimes sending something late and hoping. Things come up. It might've been that whoever was responsible for this contract assumed the deadline would be no problem, but then needed a quick check on something and the person in question was uncontactable.

On the afternoon of a tender being due, you can bet that every client will call with long-winded questions and every telemarketer who won't take the hint will call, or there is an office distraction, etc. And yes, you've had weeks for the tender, but not everyone works like that.

My point throughout this thread has been that with an existing client or friend, it's not unfair to either expect a small grace period or be surprised at its absence.

Certainly with an evening deadline, unless there's a very specific window overnight, something that gets to you by the morning after isn't outrageous. (Obviously international timezones and deals might impact that.)

Clearly there's more to her intent here. If my friend is 30 minutes late and doesn't text, I don't say "Forget it. We're not friends. I'm doing this on principle."

Reply #430535 | Report this post

Cedar  
Years ago

And considering Jackson just got paid $200k to sit out a season there might be a little thing called good faith that she might want to repay.

Heard that a few years ago, Jackson was playing injured and had here training load down to 30 minutes scrimmage each session. She would turn up 5 minutes before the scrimmage, warm up, walk on court and scrimmage. And then at the end, just walk out and not even talk to anyone the whole session. And that was just the normal thing to do.

Reply #430537 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Isaac is on the money here! Too easy & convenient to say I'm walking away based on principle here. A massive offer has come to light recently for LJ & this is the perfect excuse to say to say the Caps were an 1 hour late with the paperwork. Transpareny & Integrity is a 2 way street LJ, I'm sure you cashed the cheques that you received last year when you didnt play 1 game?

Reply #430625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree SamCro, I hope Joyce doesn't bend over for LJ like others have in the past. She should start the Worlds next year on the bench, we have better TEAM players to make up the starting 5.

Reply #431541 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:07 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754