Isaac
Years ago

Wall gets five-year, $80m extension from Wizards

According to multiple reports, Wall signed a five-year extension worth $80 million. The Wizards will formally announce the signing at a Thursday news conference.

"Since drafting John with the first overall pick, we have been impressed with his maturation, hard work and commitment to our franchise," Wizards owner Ted Leonsis said. "He is the cornerstone of our team, and we have clearly expressed our desire to build around him well before making it official by re-signing him today. We are extremely confident in his leadership abilities and are excited to see the continued improvement of the team."
Full article

Topic #32291 | Report this topic

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Not overpaid, will start to be considered as one of the game's elite next season. Should make the playoffs.

Reply #430408 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah. Not so sure.

Obviously if he can get his head right from next season he is worth it, but until he puts everything together on the floor, the jury is out.

Also: cue "Dull" posting a query as to why ESPN didn't wait until after the Wizards official press conference tomorrow to run a story about this.

Reply #430410 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I don't agree, Mick. He was showing all the signs of a leader and a superstar after coming back from injury. They would've had a winning record during that time as well and he single-handedly sparked it.

In any team sport, you don't win unless your lesser known guys step up and play the best they ever have or close to it. It's a hallmark of any good team in sports. Wall's return instantly ignited the other guys into playing their best. He gave the team a sense of purpose, like what they were doing actually mattered, which is the main motivator in any group situation, be it a workplace, sports team or whatever.

Reply #430420 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I agree with you there, but he hasn't been doing it for long enough for me to think "yeah he's a sure thing". $16m per year is a lot of clams.

That's not to say he won't earn it, but right now the sample size of him playing the right way is very small.

Reply #430422 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

He only missed the first ten weeks or so of the season.

I'm backing him as a 20 and 10 guy next season.

Reply #430424 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I like your optimism Statsheet Stuffer, but 20ppg/10apg guys are as rare as rocking horse droppings, especially in recent years.

Reply #430427 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Who else do they have at PG though, vart? Elite PGs are on elite teams with other stars. For the Wizards' sake, Wall can't exactly afford to share the sugar. He can also play big minutes at either guard spot.

He was 18.5 and 7.6 last season. As long as he doesn't lose focus now that he has a contract, I think those numbers are gettable.

He and Bradley Beal will be one of the best scoring backcourts in the entire league next season I reckon.

Reply #430431 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I don't disagree with your points above SS, just pointing out that 20&10 for a whole season is really special, hence the reason only nine guys have ever done it. I hope he does get there, you would think if he did then the Wiz would probably be playoff bound, and its always nice to have new blood in the playoff race.

Perhaps its a race between Wall and Kyrie to become the 10th 20/10 guy?

Reply #430432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OVERPAID! Getting paid more than rondo, Conley, Parker etc puts it in perspective

Reply #430433 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I'm not sure about Kyrie just yet. He needs more scoring support to trust his teammates enough to get near that figure.

I personally think he won't average near 10 assists in his entire career, he will always be a scorer for mine.

Could I get a link of that list?

Reply #430434 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

SS, Kyrie was at 6 assists per game last year, and with the additions of Bennett and Bynum, plus a great outside shooter in Karasev, I think his assists numbers will go up. But I agree with you, he is a scorer first. He'll probably be more 28 & 8 than 20 & 10.

The link for the 20-10 seasons

Reply #430435 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Ah whoops, I forgot about Bynum. He will single handedly add over one assist per game I reckon.

Thanks for the link.

Reply #430437 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

If Bynum is healthy I think you can tack on 2-3 assists a game to Irving. He will draw so much attention Kryie will be able to skip into the lane whenever he wants

Reply #430439 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

2-3 is a massive number when averaging it over the whole season. But I agree with you on Bynum's dominance.

Honestly, he's one of the most underrated players in the league. He didn't get as much love as deserved when he was chewing up and spitting out every centre that opposed him in 2011-12.

Reply #430441 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

When/if healthy/motivated Bynum is the best centre in the league, IMO. No one else can be a force on both ends like him.

All reports though said he had absolutely no commitment to the rehab process last year while with Philly, which calls into question both his health and motivation.

Reply #430444 | Report this post

d@b  
Years ago

Wizards havent learnt from their Arenas contract

Reply #430459 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Only thing this does is cripple the team from making it to finals. Playoffs are all well and nice, but what's the point if you can't get past first round

Reply #430477 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I'm going to put a disclaimer on my statement of him not being overpaid.

Yes, individually, he will be worth what he gets paid, but the team will be hamstrung a little. Especially considering the salary cap is likely to continue a downward trend.

Reply #430480 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754