Libertine
Years ago

36ers Training Squad

Taken from the Forestville website:

Despite a disappointing end to the season for our ABL men's team, we are happy to report on a couple of individual successes. Brenton Campbell (on left) and Matt Sutton (on right) are two of 6 new players that have been selected to train with the Adelaide 36ers.

The squad has started pre-season training and will shortly participate in a training camp in the country, after which a final team will be selected. Brenton and Matt are managing to fit in this heavy training regime with their study and coaching commitments. Matt coaches Forestville's Under 14 Division 2 Boys team, Brenton is the assistant coach of our Under 16 Division 1 Boys team, and both Matt and Brenton coach Aussie Hoops.

--------------------------------

Assuming, as is reported, that Adam Benson is player number 3, then can someone inform me who the other 3 are? Surely Boti could have written about this in the paper?

Topic #323 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

I beleive Eric Bradley is helping them out.

Reply #2461 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

Hearing from a very good source, The 6 are Brenton Campbell, Matt Sutton, Adam Bneson, Brad Bungey, Brad Gerlach, and Joe Ingles.
This is great for these guys. Its good to see the 6ers breeding some new rookies. and they can all play in different roles which is a bonus for the coaches cause there is a variety of selection. Apparrently only 2 of them will be selected to train with the 6ers through the season.

Reply #2468 | Report this post

Red Rooster  
Years ago

What has happened to Todd Gower, Christian Bell, Nathan Hawkes, Dan Thompson and Nick Hambour??Surely these players are better than the above mentioned.

Brenton Campbell has proven to be a choker in big games and turns the ball over regularly. Who is Adam Benson???? Oh he is the guy that comes on for sturt during garbage time and shoots it every time he gets it. Gerlach is a bit soft, short and slow for someone playing the 2/3 spot.

Sutton, Bungey, and Ingles are good project players.

Reply #2473 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

What a joke...no one from the most dominant team of the ABA season - Woodville, in that training squad.

Reply #2476 | Report this post

Mic  
Years ago

Campbell a choker? he averaged 30 pts and 6 assists at national champs last year? had 16 and 5 in last years winning grand final? averaged about 25 and 6 this year? Woodville have 2 players already out there but may deserve a third. No matter who is chosen though people will always find arguments to put others in. It is a difficult process.

Reply #2478 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the training squad is for younger players. Hawkes is what, 30 years old? I think that Hambour is a little closer to the official squad than the training squad.

As for Yogee -- who from Woodville is missing? Darren is already in the team, Reggie would be viewed in the same light as Hawkes or might've turned down the opportunity (?), Bradley would be a waste of time since it'd be poor use of an import position in an NBL team, etc.

Also, this is the training squad. I think there are a couple of players in addition to this filling the 11th and 12th "development" spots with the Sixers.

Reply #2482 | Report this post

S Vidmar  
Years ago

Instead of guessing who is out there training why dont one of you guys actually go out and have a look, as far as the Warriors go Pudifoot or Claytoe (as some forum users like to call him)has been training with them for 4 weeks, so has Hambour, Bell, Gower.

Reply #2484 | Report this post

Julius  
Years ago

Yogee, Ng is in the team, Puddifoot is in the 12 and Bradley will be training with the team for the next month as will Campbell, Gerlach, Bungey, Benson and Sutton.
Hawkes, Williams, Bell are trying out for the last roster spot and Hambour will join Puddifoot in the 12 with Gower a possible number 13.
Ingles and Dodman plus one or two of the other training bait, sorry I mean hopefuls will accompany the team to Port Lincoln for an inter squad scrimmage.
Hope this clears it up.

Reply #2488 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yep, I'm aware Ng is in the team (how can you not be!! :) )

I was just going on what others had been commenting on, It's great to see Puddi's talents have been recognised and given a spot in the official 12.

I still would have thought maybe Jarrod Graves may have got a shot...maybe his time is not quite ripe, next year may be the year for him.

I think it is a sad, sad reflection that the players going for final spot in the 12 are Hawkes, Williams, Bell, when the first 2 have had their chance, and failed to take the oppurtunity.

Bell was showing some great signs of promise before his leg injuries stopped him short, but his ABA season hasnt been mind blowing.

I think Gerlachm or Ingles should be given the chance in front of Hawkes and Williams, and even Gower (mind you Todd does get aggresive on court, which could help at times).

Thanks for the info on the 12 though Julius, appreciate it :)

Reply #2490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about some young North ABL players getting a look in? Like Kies, Burdon and Zorich? Does anyone agree?

Reply #2501 | Report this post

Julius  
Years ago

This is where this Academy thats been talked about becomes fairly crucial I'd imagine so these kids can have an opportunity to improve their talents and put their hand up for future NBL careers.

Reply #2504 | Report this post

Larry Sengstock  
Years ago

All the North players were outstanding juniors. However they haven't had the senior seasons of Campbell, Gerlach, Ingles and Sutton. If they can elevate their games next season they no doubt will come under scrutiny

Reply #2507 | Report this post

Give the 11th & 12th spots to some young fella's eager to give the NBL a crack. Kids who live at home & have their Mums cooking & washing for them, they couldn't afford to do it otherwise.

The 9th & 10th spot last year did receive fairly substantial minutes during the season due to injuries etc.
I would rather Vandenberg/Hawkes, who can both play point & importantly guard a 1 - 3 man, than one of the young whipper snappers. I don't think that physically & mentally they could play NBL, at this stage.

Coming down to the last 5 minutes of a close game I would rather have experience on the court. And not some young kid who is still scrathing his arse & bumping into things.

Hawkes & Vandenberg are better players RIGHT NOW than young projects who are still learning. Throw a young kid into an NBL game & watch him sink.

Set up the Academy, let them be training bait with the Sixers & blood them that way.

Round off the team with veteran players - who aren't going to be over awed, turnover prone, with little confidence & very, very nervous.

Reply #2508 | Report this post

Inthaknow  
Years ago

Ah,the wisdom from Bootney,always worth a read.Funny,entertaining and on the money.You must know ya hoops mate,luv ya work!!!

Reply #2512 | Report this post

funkalicious  
Years ago

Reply #2513 | Report this post

OnceBitten  
Years ago

Just give a roster spot to Snake Gerlach and be done with it. He will destroy all the other has beens with his slipperyness and mad game.

He now has 2 solid seasons of ABL under his belt and isn't even shaving yet.

Let him shed his next layer and evolve into an NBL force!!!!

Reply #2514 | Report this post

funkalicious  
Years ago

benson in da squad is a joke he doesnt have what it takes. give a couple of years and some court time people like norwoods andrew webber, southerns tristan braithwate and kies and burdon should stand up and be noticed. what u think??

Reply #2515 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

bootney i will have to disagree on this one....i respect your opinion on all occasions by the way....but i just think it is more worth taking a punt on a youngster like gerlach or sutton at nbl level and just see if they can lift to the next level than playing it safe and going with a hawkes type player who has been there and tried that.....someone like hawkes has certainly done alright, but is never going to set the world on fire, whereas someone like gerlach does not know his own limits, and is just as likely in my opinion to play solid nbl, as he is to get overawed. gerlach is a much better senior player than he was junior, and i think the same can apply to state league players playing nbl...they just lift to the next level cos they have to.....
in my opinion, take a chance sixers and get a few youngsters in there that will have a go.....however, ignore gower please!!

Reply #2517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, Funkalicious.. Webber, and Kies are definately worth a shot and Burdon misses out on everything.. ais and 6ers training squad.
I don't understand the hype surrounding Benson - he has nothing on the players mentioned above.

Reply #2519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

APPARENTLY BRAITHWAITE AND BURDON HAVE BEEN PLAYING GREAT JUNIOR BALL AGAINST EACH OTHER FOR YEARS. BECAUSE OF LIMITED TIME I DON'T KNOW ALOT DOES ANYONE HAVE OPINIONS ON THEIR GAME?

Reply #2523 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

"Burdon misses out on everything"

Your right, 2/13 in the play offs is definitely missing everything!!! (sorry couldn't resist). I agree though, Benson is a questionable one.

Reply #2525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those playoffs are like the ONLY bad shooting stint Burdon has ever had! Unfortunate time to start missing shots though..

Reply #2532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webbers shot is too slow and he is too short. Wouldnt be able to get a shot off in the NBL. Has pretty good range though from what i have seen.

Reply #2535 | Report this post

Years ago

I think the words you are looking for to describe burdon are not

"Unfortunate time to start missing shots though"

The words you are looking for are

"Choke"
"Not up to Standard"

Reply #2537 | Report this post

S Vidmar  
Years ago

Bootney you are correct, we can not fill the last two roster spots with untried rookies, let them train and get the feel for the level that way, Phil will only use the kids if we are up or down by 30. If Maher or Farley get hurt i would have more faith in 2 old heads playing 15-20 minutes. Let them develop dont throw them into the fire during their first year. 8000 fans at the dome will be rather brutal if some rookie is dribbling the ball off their leg Hoosier style.

Reply #2538 | Report this post

Years ago

I agee with S Vidmar but come on you know the only time the sixer get a full crowd is at a grand final game therefore it would be around 5000 people

Reply #2541 | Report this post

S Vidmar  
Years ago

my bad, your are correct

Reply #2543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

both burdon and braithwaite can score. even though both their shooting was dissapointing during finals burdon:2/13, braithwaite:1/5 its for to not play much then get thrown into tough finals bball.

Reply #2552 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Sapa is coming to Adelaide and fits staright into the current squad. He would only need to get to know Dusty as he would have played with or trained against all the signed players.

He could also mentor the younger potential NBL players at training etc.

Get Sapa signed.

Reply #2553 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

money kent does not grow on trees...and sapwell is hardly going to play for $20000 as has a young family....needs a real job...sorry for the reality check.

Reply #2557 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The sixers have cash up there sleeve charmaine. Cat freed up 220k and he has been replaced by Farley, Rees and Cooper. Rees' $ are subsidised by his Brisbane income so therefore is not costing the sixers much at all, Cooper was recruited out of the Marketing Departement of the Taipans such was his value to the other clubs in the league and Willie has signd at fair value.

Beleive it that the club has enough money for Sapa to play at a decent income.

Reply #2558 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Why would Rees' $ being subsidised by his Brisbane income? They released him.

I'm sure Willie would be comanding his fair share of $$.

Cooper whilst probably cheap, was not free.

And from all reports Dusty must be on more than previous years.

Cheers, DJ

Reply #2559 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Rees will still get his second years income that he was contracted for from Brisbane.

So let say he was to get 30k we could signhim for minimum and Rees would still earn 60k for the year.

No one else was after Cooper and he was happy doing the front office job.
I do not know what he was earning so lets say we are paying him 40k salary.
I am using this figure as this is what Stiff and Moore were offered so i do not see the sixers getting excited over Cooper and offering him more than what they did Stiff or Moore.
That is 70k spoken for with 150k still to spend.
Willie certainly did not cost that much so we do have money to spend.

Reply #2561 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I think you might be under rating Willie's $ value Kent.

Remember, he wasn't far off an NBA contract.

Reply #2577 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

exactly.....i would think farley would be getting around 150 grand....surely, he is a damn good player...would not be here for anything under 100 i would not think.

Reply #2578 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Gower? Ingles? Graves? C'mon guys. The best player in the ABL not getting an NBL gig with the Sixers, and he isn't even invited, is Paul Vandenbergh. The Sixers need a mature point guard to backup Maher, Farley and the inexperienced Ng .... and they don't look at Reggie. Sure, he might take some negotiating re his employment etc, but the guy is a star and was bloody good at Canberra a long time ago. Watch him carve Eastern's guards tomorrow night and think again how good he would be at the Sixers at the number 10 spot. Hawkes? Good player, but he's no Reg.

Reply #2583 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

i have seen burdon play enough times now that it is too much of a coincidence for him to play bad every time i see him. i think his shooting % throughout the games i have seen would have to be around 15%, 20 tops. i think before he gets anywhere near the nbl he needs to show the coaches he can consistently perform. add to that the fact he is a choker, and he is miles away from being an NBL player.

Reply #2593 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Remember what Willie was getting at West Sydney?...less than what he was getting here originally.

When recruiting him again the sixers knew what he would play for.

There are many players who have been "close" to an NBA contract.

Just ask most of the retired SEABL imports they will all tell you they almost made the show.

Reply #2595 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

You have to be kidding about Webber and Burdon don't you. They are not even up to Nbl level especially with height. Whereas benson has height, he's athletic, can shoot and also run a bit of the point. As for kies he's history with the 6ers. From good athority from 6ers he can only play 4 man nothing else. His d is shit and cannot play outside. Thats why they have never asked him back after that one training run last year

Reply #2653 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

I saw Joe Ingles on Saturday night. I think he has grown another 2 inches since the end of the ABL season. He is definately a diserving member of the squad.

Bags is back!

Reply #2657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

J-Bags....this is Jingles...r u the guy that i just pumped in NBA live 04???

Reply #5443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i heard something about Jordan Dodman training with 36ers, and he has also been getting scouted out by some AFL teams.
webber shouldnt be there if its the same webber who played for Unley last year. why, cause he sucks, hes an a-hole and couldnt beat a non-district player in a school game.

Reply #5704 | Report this post

j bags  
Years ago

Jingles, LIVE 04 is off the dial! I'll school you now!!

I'll hit a bag-o-3's on ya head!

Reply #6084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JBags....no chance in hell! il b there lata 2nite if u want me to embarass u AGAIN! franchise all the way...

Reply #6101 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

HA HA HA!!! i still can't believe that some people think that webber should be training with the sixers... he only just made the academy squad thats if he did... thats from good authority too... No way bronson kies should be there he has no quickness, outside game, defence on the perimeter or even ball skill for a guard and he won't grow. he will just be a abl player..
And where has leroy Mapunda disappeared to????

Reply #6104 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Webber had a good second half of the ABA season this year. He dominated against forrestville when he was superior vs Brenton Campbell and Brad Sullivan (25 points 12 rebounds). What he lacks in height he makes up for in work ethic and dedication. Get off the guys back.

Reply #6105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about that Sturt player from a few years ago, from memory it was Ben has been playing for Norwood of late, that guy can play

Reply #6118 | Report this post

Wei-Do-Ping  
Years ago

You mean Osama Ben Lomman

Reply #6120 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bad Boy Ben Lomman -- get him into the squad!

Reply #6121 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

What would Rees think of that move?

Reply #6123 | Report this post

Yai-Wei-Wun  
Years ago

It would intensify trainings just a tad with those two there.

Reply #6124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what d'ya reckon Lommax? :D

Reply #6126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kies has only one hand,no defense, what about zorich ryan(north)blight(south)mason(mavs).Any of these guys could do a better job

Reply #9433 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

A little birdie has told me that BC may be going up north??!

Reply #9566 | Report this post

Kylie  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance but what happened to Mark Nash? I am a 6ers fan living in country Vic (all I here or read about is Tigers) and have been unable to find out what his injury is. I gather it is fairly serious (or long term) and that he is out for the season or close too.

Reply #9723 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kylie,

From my info, Nash was coasting along and aiming to be back for the first home game last weekend. His issue is with his back and not dissimilar to Maher's I believe.

Physio report said that things had got to a point where they were neither improving or getting worse.

At his first training back (Sixers not even back from their road trip perhaps?), things didn't go too well and a squashed lower disc put him out for the season.

Can't guarantee any of this info, but it's what I've heard.

Reply #9724 | Report this post

incog  
Years ago

I think Maher had a slipped disk. THis can be grinded down and you can get back out there.

Nash had a Crushed disk. Its worse than Mahers.

Reply #9739 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:47 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754