Reply #430538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

disappointing

Reply #430539 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Blows the comp wide open IMO."

Except the Breakers have what ever $ they were offering Jackson left to offer another Stud Import PG.

Reply #430547 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I guess he's going to Europe.

Sad to see him leave the team but happy for the chance to watch someone so talented play.

Reply #430548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea will be interesting to see who they get to replace him, if they are not quite as good could blow the comp wide open, but yea i assume the Breakers have the cap space to try and get someone as good.

Reply #430549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the best Cedric, was a massive fan and loved watching you play (except when you ripped apart the 36ers!)

Reply #430550 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Mystro, having the money to get a stud import and actually getting one is two different things. Jackson has been one of the best players in the NBL and it is going to be hard to replace.

Reply #430551 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Mystro, it isn't as easy as "oh we'll just get another stud".

It's about playing style, not just if someone is considered a great player. Jackson wasn't expected to come in and dominate the league like he did. It goes both ways, imports come in with low expectations and turn out to be awesome, and stars who come in and disappoint.

I can almost guarantee you won't find another Jackson anytime soon.

Reply #430552 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

Last two mvp's gone and last two championship coaches gone. Will see how they both go, hard to replace but it give's a chance to bring in a fresh faces and both teams are smart enough to replace the missing links. Still have perth and nz in top 2! Sad to see both lisch and jackson leave in the same season, all the best to both players!

Reply #430556 | Report this post

Codric Jacksen  
Years ago

I didn't say that I was leaving the league....

Reply #430558 | Report this post

tip  
Years ago

hahahahahhahaha ^^^

Reply #430560 | Report this post

Leeroy  
Years ago

Will miss seeing your outbursts when Damian Martin holds you down.

Reply #430562 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ultimately, it's a loss for the entire league.

Reply #430570 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Mystro, it isn't as easy as "oh we'll just get another stud"."

that's why the Club has been scouting his replacement for months and the Breakers have a pretty decent record when selecting imports. Only Storey has been a dud so far.
I'm not saying that we are going to have another Cedric Jackson but you can put money on his replacement being one of the better PG's in the league.

Reply #430572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just read Boti mentions Corey Williams as someone they are targeting.

What are peoples thoughts?

Is it a case of sign Williams on an 'economical'deal to start the season and if Jackson becomes available later ie half way through the season, we will have plenty of spare cash to go after him.

Williams would still be a decent player to get, especially if you dont need to pay him top dollar, i wanted the 36ers to grab him, Dorsey or Farley when they grabbed good ol SC, could also be an opportunity to give Corey Webster some extra minutes aswell as Williams obviously wont be as good and demand as many minutes as Cedric.

Reply #430573 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Nick Metalinos tweeted the other day that Homicide would be potentially back in the NBL. At the time i couldn't see where he would fit , but now.

Reply #430575 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Nah, I think Williams had his time in the league. He turns 36 tomorrow.

He wouldn't fit in with the dynamic of that Breakers group anyway IMO.

Breakers would have loved Ervin if he was still on the cards.

Ayinde Ubaka will fit in nicely you reckon?

They need a PG import. They have no PGs at all even signed.

Reply #430577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers to pick up Jackson?

Reply #430578 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Hope one day the NBL will be able to increase the salary cap to a more competitive level to Europe. Too many good players only stay for too short of a time. It hurts the league.

No doubt NZ and Perth (with Kevin Lisch) could afford to keep these players but with the cap so low its impossible to do that. Perhaps a luxury tax should be added for clubs that can afford it?

Im not saying break the bank and go bust - pay within your means, but let the clubs that can afford to pay these players be in a position to retain them and therefore improve the league overall, rather than keeping them in line with the battlers for the sake of parity.

Reply #430580 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

last time i looked CJ Bruton was on the roster

Reply #430581 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I can sense another "how to fix the league" thread...

Reply #430584 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

If they don't get a PG who can pass, they won't contend for a title. Jackson spoon-fed all of his teammates and made them look better. Think about the individual players the Breakers have--they aren't world beaters. Jackson and only Jackson made them world beaters.

Reply #430592 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see who they get. They have replaced stars in Penney and Wilkinson while barely missing a step, so who's to say they wont be just as good, especially with so many good PGs out there?

Replacing Jackson, Boucher and Lemanis in one off-season is their biggest challenge yet though.

Reply #430593 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Jackson and only Jackson made them world beaters."

Yeah because they sucked before he got there! Huge hole, great player, but teams are bigger than individuals. Surely they cant win quite so many games again this year though, they cant keep replacing stars, can they?!

Reply #430594 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

If Kirk Penney weren't there, they would've sucked. Ever since they have been a force, they've had efficient superstars. No coincidence.

Reply #430595 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I'm sticking by my statement that he's the best player the league has seen in the last ten years.

Reply #430596 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Jackson, that is.

Reply #430597 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He, Chris Williams and Chris Anstey would be my top 3 off the top of my head. I agree there, but saying if Penney werent there they would have sucked makes you look a bit silly, if I remember correctly they were on top of the ladder when Penney was away for the start of the 2011 season, and stayed there after he left and well before Jackson found his best form in the NBL.

Reply #430600 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How long ago was Chris Burgess in the NBL? I remember he was quite formidable.

Carlos Powell wasn't really a team player, but a definite solo force.

Reply #430603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Only Storey has been a dud so far."

Come again? The Breakers have had some real dud imports in their decade in the league but in saying that the recruiting has been top class over the last few years.

Good to see the Breakers & Wildcats come back to the pack in what has been a bad offseason for both teams.

Reply #430606 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I really hope the Breakers struggle big time this season. Ive grown to truly hate them along with Perth. Cant wait for the start of the new season, going to be some new top dogs around the mark!

Reply #430612 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

Have heard some chatter that they are in preliminary talks with the 'crime stopper' Aquille Carr..

Strange move if it's true!

Reply #430630 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I've always thought that if it was Cedric rather than Damo that did the achilles, the Championship would have a different home right now ;)

But in any case...

Huge blow to the NBL, Jackson was a hell of a drawcard because he was one hell of a player. NZ will no doubt be getting in a good import but you'll have to pull something really special out of the hat to replace him.

It's one of those cases where 10pts ain't just 10pts...

Reply #430633 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I'm also a Perth fan but have to admit he was one of the best players the NBL has had in a while. Hard to pick who will win next season should be a more even competition.

Reply #430645 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Aquille Carr to NZ would be perfect for the nbl but not to sure about NZ haha, that kid is an excitement machine and will bring a lot of attention with him! He is loved by lots of people around the world and if he was signed to an nbl team it would definitely help the nbl's name.

Reply #430657 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Jackson apparently has a deal in Slovenia on the cards.

The Breakers US Scout is Jonothan Givony from Draft Express.

Corey Williams has been mentioned in media over here due to him and Corletto being former team mates and Corletto recently catching up with him in NY.

Reply #430670 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Looks to me like Jackson will go to Union Olympia Ljubljana, who will play in Eurocup and the Adriatic League this year. There's only one other Slovenian team I think could afford him and they just signed a US point guard.

Ljubljana were a permanent Euroleague team for many years before financial troubles struck and they had to jump before they were pushed last year. They have been given a wildcard to the Eurocup with ULEB satisfied they are on the rebound and are paying off debt to former players etc. This the team that Aron Baynes played for and that offered Dave Barlow an import spot way back when.

From what I can tell they will spend about US$2.5-3 mill on players so the Breakers had very little chance, especially given the rest of NZ's roster is a lot more impressive the Ljubljana's, they're going to really rely on their imports.

Eurocup will be up a step this year too with the eight teams who drop out of the Euroleague regular season joining in the second round.

Reply #430685 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yeah apparently their offer was over double what NZ could offer.
Best of luck to him over there but I do think he'll miss playing with the Breakers Guys.

Reply #430689 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No doubt, and playing in a system so well suited to him too.

Will be a good challenge to carry a team in a new comp, playing against teams the standard on Perth, NZ and Wollongong (uninjured) every week. I'm looking forward to seeing him play, seeing who NZ bring out and hopefully seeing them come back to the pack a little.

I think Webster this year will be like Goulding last year though, so I still see the Breakers as the team to beat. Key for them last yea r was winning so many close games, it'll be interesting to see what impact losing Jackson (and Boucher) has on that.

Reply #430691 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

paul - Chris Williams was the first name that popped into my head as well but it turns out he didn't play NBL in the last 10 years. He played in 2003.

I'd rate Hodge in 2008-09 as the standout from the last 10 years. He is the only player I can recall, in that time, coming into the league and having the scale of impact that Chris Williams had. He was unstoppable, to the same degree that Williams was. I feel the other ones that come to mind - Carlos Powell and Brian Wethers - didn't have the same impact on their teams' chances of success as Williams and Hodge mk 1.

That said, of the players in the last 10 years, I'd rate Anstey and MacKinnon in the same class as Jackson. Especially for their roles in making good teams into champions. Take them out of those Tigers and Bullets teams and

Reply #430693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If its Corey Williams RIP another title. How could you not miss a bunch of guys who are all living the dream getting paid way more than they should be. Too many guys on the squad who wouldnt play for peanuts. Smart management along with horrible NBL policing, imo have led to alot of under the table style 'bonuses' for the Breaker boys.

Reply #430700 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cool Sory Anon, is BJ Anthony on huge money at Adelaide cos he's a Tall Black?

Reply #430702 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Big advantage the Breakers have is they are a big ticket item now, meaning companies want to be involved with their players, and the club has the contacts to take full advantage of that. Good on them, I dont begrudge players making money from the sport through legitimate means.

Perth also has a big profile and strong contacts, and I imagine opportunities exist for players in Melbourne too. It's the nature of the business, and good clubs find ways to add to what their players can make purely from playing.

Reply #430703 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Playing NZNBL is a nice top up in the off season for Breakers players whilst still staying local.

This season Corey Webster will get a whole lot more minutes and probably get a few few plays run for him.

I think just about every team has made some nice offseason moves in regards to rosters so everyone is going to be more competitive across the board.

NZ have a lot of long term chemistry and a winning culture but will need a lot of focus to win 4 in a row.
I don't know if they'll be as hungry as Adelaide or say, the Hawks who who were right up there until injury robbed them of a legit shot.

Reply #430710 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ, Perth and Wollongong had such a big advantage last season because of their continuity. Townsville would have too if they had not completely stuffed up with their imports.

Those teams averaged eight returning players where the others averaged five. This year that has disappeared a little bit, NZ still in front with seven but a lot of teams with six.

In terms of returning starters, NZ, Perth, Cairns and possibly Wollongong will all be bringing back four (depending on Hurdle), and that has to help.

NZ 7 returning this year, 4 starters(8 last season, 4)
Perth 5, 4 (8, 5)
Wollongong 6 or 7, 3 or 4 (8, 4)
Sydney 4, 2 (5, 2)
Melbourne 6, 2 (5, 1)
Cairns 6, 4 (6, 3)
Townsville 5, 2 (8)
Adelaide 6, 4 (4)

Reply #430714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the MVP of the NBL ends up in amid level Eurocup (league below Euroleague) team............

PATHETIC

My god, has the NBL really gotten this bad? Olimpijia is pretty much considered a scrub team in Europe.

Reply #430758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A scrub team that can offer probably close to $400k.

Reply #430824 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Union Olimpija has played in Euroleague for the past 20-odd years, and while they certainly havent been a top club, until recent financial troubles they definitely werent the worst either, even this past year they went 3-7 in the best comp in Europe.

In the past three years they have defeated European powerhouses CSKA Moscow and Panathinaikos and lost to Barcelona by a point, as well as defeating some other strong clubs like Khimky Moscow, Efes Pilsen, Valencia, Partizan, Milan and Roma. Definite scrubs!!

They are spending a lot of money on Jackson to lead the team back to where it was before they hit rock bottom financially.

Reply #430827 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Boo Hoo Cedric moved on (as he eventually was always going to).. be glad the NZ Breakers and NBL had him as long as they did, he is a world class player. Now, getting a replacement is the business at hand... it can be done.

Reply #430828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olimpijia is a definite scrub team. They got banned out of Euroleague for not paying players on time. They are a mid level team in Adriatic League.

Reply #430832 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I loved this bit...

"So the MVP of the NBL ends up in amid level Eurocup (league below Euroleague) team............ PATHETIC

My god, has the NBL really gotten this bad?"

Matt Nielsen went from NBL MVP to a Eurocup team who had been disqualified the year before and had been in bottom half of Greek the league the three previous seasons!

For that matter, Chris Williams went to a mid-level Eurocup team who were mid-table in the German league (and took them into the Euroleague).

Willie Farley went to a mid-table Turkish team that didnt play in any European comps.

Deron Williams went to a mid-table Turkish team that played in the Eurochallenge! Wow, has the NBA really got that bad?

Reply #430835 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Good stuff, paul.

Reply #430845 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:23 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754