Anonymous
Years ago

2013 FIBA Asia Championship

Anybody else watching the fabulous tournament?? Blow outs galore

China 113 - Malaysia 22
Iran 115 - Malaysia 25

19% shooting percentage and 67 turnovers in 2 games.

South Korea also beat China but can't find the box score as the site http://www.fibaasia.net is down at the moment.

Topic #32303 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Actually there were some really close games on Day 1, with only Malaysia being blown out. There will be some lopsided games to come though.

Saudi Arabia really ran the host Philippines to the line, some big athletic dudes on that SA team! Korea beat China in a wrestling match, and I believe the points count for the basketball game too. Good finish though.

Boxscores are here: www.fiba.com/spain2014

Reply #430618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey, paul, what are the talent levels of the lesser countries at this tournament compared to Australian teams? SEABL? Big V? Lower?

What are the levels of the Chinas and Irans? NBL? SEABL?

Reply #430619 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The lower teams are terrible! I would definitely back a SEABL team to beat them. The very top teams like China and Iran would be a good challenge for NBL teams, although I think the Breakers and Wildcats of the past two years would beat them more than they'd lose.

Reply #430620 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I was surprised when I saw Boomers play Iran a few years back, they were far from terrible and even gave Boomers some troubles at times.

Reply #430622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the teams in the African championship this year, paul?

Reply #430623 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I went to a few ASEAN Basketball League matches here in KL. Ordinary standard, CABL teams would have easily beaten them, maybe even Reserves too.

Reply #430829 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

African champs, well it's always hard to know until you see which players turn up, but Angola and Tunisia will be tough, and Nigeria, Senegal, Cameroon and Ivory Coast should be around the mark.

A smokey could be Egypt, who seem to have some good juniors coming through, depending on how their country's situation has affected their preparation.

I think African basketball has surpassed Asian basketball in recent years, but I wonder whether the athletic potential of these teams will ever be realised.

As for the Asian champs so far, China is struggling a bit but should come good, Korea, Philippines and Taipei have played some good ball, and Iran look a class above.

Reply #430830 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:11 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754