Whitey
Years ago

Greg Oden to sign with Miami

Greg Oden has signed for the league minimum with the Heat for 2 years, the second year is a player option.

Topic #32309 | Report this topic

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The season is over before it even started.

Pending injury.

Reply #430739 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wonder why he chose this team? Zzz. Find bit players loading up at contenders boring.

Reply #430759 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

He's endured more than most in terms of injury already, and probably will have a limited amount of time in the league if he does manage to play some meaningful minutes.

He reportedly passed up on much bigger dollars over the past couple of years, and Miami has an identified gap at centre.

I don't blame the guy for wanting to play with LeBron and win now. Will be good to see Hibbert v Oden in the east finals

Reply #430768 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He wont be labelled a bit player by the end of the season if he stays fit. Said one of the biggest selling points was that they wouldnt use him too much early on. Wants to be fit come playoff time. Id pick Miami over New Orleans for the same money any day of the week.

With Bosh trade rumours bound to heat up, and Wade age being an interest point for the media... and LBJ being LBJ, Oden can finally do his thing under the radar.

Reply #430769 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Now that he has a genuine big to have his back, I don't think there will be too much criticism of Bosh.

Reply #430770 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

He will help Bosh's defensive game, as they get a legit rim protector (based on what he was like when he was in college/early NBA)

Don't see how it can help Bosh's offensive game. Oden can't exactly help Bosh's lack of toughness.

If Bosh wants to improve it's on his head. He was soft in the playoffs, settled for a mid-range jump shot that was ineffective and showed an aversion to attacking the rim (like he was scared).

If anything, if Oden starts out successfully, Bosh could become even more useless.
Because if they have Oden as a legit low post target (and obviously Wade and Lebron on the perimeter), why would they want to utilise Bosh and his soft mid-range game?

Reply #430771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play bosh at the 4 with Oden on floor and / or give him a few more mins rest

Reply #430777 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Macdub, as you know, Miami's ability to cover the floor defensively is largely to do with Bosh. So they will have even more defensive bases covered.

Offensively I can see your point because you could probably say Bosh is prone to getting complacent. That aside, Oden will be the best offensive big man Miami will have since the era. So he will draw defensive attention. And since Bosh plays mainly a mid range game, Oden will simply create space for Bosh. In answer to your question--they'd want Bosh's midrange jumpshot even more now there will be (imo) more opportunities. Generally they have more offensive bases covered with Bosh.

The defensive end is more important when talking about Bosh's viability. So he stays and imo he will be bagged less in the media.

Reply #430789 | Report this post

tupz  
Years ago

We're all assuming that Oden's season runs to completion, and doesn't follow the same pattern as previous years. As a Portland fan, I would love for him to succeed, I just don't see what's changed from years past to expect it.

Reply #430795 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Fair call Tupz. Look how Brandon Roy's comeback went with the T wolves last year. I think it is a little premature to think he will last the season

Reply #430812 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Changed topic title so that people notice we already have a thread and stop creating new ones about this transaction.)

Reply #430863 | Report this post

AussieBaller  
Years ago

Pity he went there I was hoping he would come good.
Now not so much :)

Still hope he has recovered and can stay fit for a whole season to see what he has left.

5 knee surgeries!!!!
Good luck big feller, a lot of good luck.

Reply #430919 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I can almost guarantee that if both Bynum and this guy had injury-free careers to date, there would be nothing said from fans or media about the lack of depth at center in the NBA.

Reply #430927 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pity he went there I was hoping he would come good.
Now not so much :)
Same. Not a big fan of the way NBA teams can load up on top-tier stars to the detriment of weaker teams. And then reach a point where their strength starts to attract veteran-types playing cheap to get a ring.

Reply #430936 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:26 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754