YouknowME
Years ago

Will Thon Maker ever play for Australia?

Thoughts?

Topic #32315 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This continues to come up. I know that BA tried and tried to get this kid involved in junior national camps, he played in the 16 nationals in Victoria and no one seems to be able to get past the " Minder " who advises or guides this kid.

Once and for all he has been asked numerous times and continually declines or does not respond.

Reply #430917 | Report this post

Joe_M  
Years ago

Care to give us some information on the kid?

Never heard of him.

Age, where, what state does he come from (Australia obviously)

Just some general stuff on his story.

Reply #430920 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Canada!

Reply #430921 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

No

Reply #430922 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #430926 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

I can just imagine it all coming back to bite us on the ass in 3 years time and he ends up on Team USA after being naturalised I can just see it. more effort needs to be put in, throw some sly dollars and watch his interest pique

Reply #430929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

meh - way too much hype for a dude that is way older than he's listed

he will be nothing more than the next A majok

Reply #430933 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

Here's some more info on this guy http://www.backpagelead.com.au/index.php/basketball/10137-peach-jamming-with-thon-maker

Reply #430934 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

He played really good against Amir Johnson & Brendan Jennings the other day in Toronto in a organise tournament.

Link Below:
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/02/7-foot-1-hoops-phenom-is-a-big-deal

Reply #430939 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

I was doing some update on Thon just last week. Lots on the net about his progress. Everyone is super impressed with his skill set for a kid his size. Unless I'm mistaken I found one report where he had recently played against The young Okafor who is very high up amongst big kids in the US and he Thon did very well.

Reply #430941 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

they let him go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBGeg2_t25o

Reply #430942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

read the toronto sun article, it mentions him needing to go canada to sort out visa issues

and as mentioned in another thread he has a 6'10 younger brother with the minder...

Reply #430944 | Report this post

Hey  
Years ago

His brother Cheir is playing in Sydney as a 25yr old school
Kid

Reply #430947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I played against his grandfather last year at the National Schools Tournament

Reply #430950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares. I'd rather have people who have a burning desire to represent Australia!

Reply #430999 | Report this post

C  
Years ago

He has to, if he does, holy god, imagine our Olympic team. Would you take Thon Maker there, we could have Maker, Exum, Simmons, Delly, Mills, Bogut, Ingles, Baynes, Bairstow and Motum possibly all in the NBA

P.G. M.Dellavedova, D.Exum

S.G. P.Mills, C.Goulding, B.Newley

S.F. J.Ingles, B.Simmons

P.F. A.Baynes, C.Bairstow, B.Motum

C. A.Bogut, T.Maker

Something like that, holy god that's a damn good team.

Operation Thon

Reply #504432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any idea who the minder is?

Reply #504433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker will miss out on Olympics but will make u19 worlds if we qualify.

Mills/dellavedova/exum
Broekhoff/Goulding
Ingles/Newley/Simmons
motum/bairstow
Bogut/baynes

Exum playing 1 or 2
Simmons playing 3 or 4

Reply #504467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has had so
Many opportunities but has chosen a different option each time. Not judging him, his choice but the only way he will
Play for Australia is if his guardian lets him

17s, 19s Boomers, people have tried believe me

Reply #504478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac Humphries ahead of him at the moment, maybe that will change but still early days to get too carried away.

Reply #504491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get over Thhon Maker hype. He's a great player no doubt, but the Australian national system should not become the plaything of any one player where they can act as if it is their right to pick and choose when he plays for Australia. We have a pool of very talented players in Australia who would give their left arms to play for U17, U19 or Boomers national teams and Basketball Australia should not have to beg a player to make himself available when such a domestic pool of talent is readily available.

Reply #504494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So true and well said.

Know a boy who was at a tournament with Maker and he said everyone was trying to work his age out!!!

Reply #504495 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754