Isaac
Years ago

Majority of Wildcats home games set for Fridays

The Perth Wildcats will be granted their wish of playing the majority of home games on Friday nights when the 2013-14 NBL fixtures are released this week.

The Wildcats averaged crowds of more than 11,000 in their first season at Perth Arena - more than double the league average - and Friday nights were most popular.
The Wildcats worked with NBL officials to avoid clashes with high-profile cricket matches and Perth Glory home games.

"We are very excited and pleased that the majority of our home games in 2013-14 will be played on Friday nights," Marvin said.

"We had great success with our Friday night games last season, both in terms of crowd numbers and game night atmosphere.
Full article in The West

Topic #32333 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

Not complaining with that! Working in the city makes the games on a Friday a great end to the week.

Hopefully they have negotiated to have one as an open roof game, probably a Sunday game would make sence. I know they wanted to last season but apparently it wasnt aloud for in their initial contract with Perth Arena.

Reply #431185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sure some fickle bball fans will complain. What a great result for the Wildcats and the NBL. THe stronger the Cats are the stronger the league will become.

Dont forget how massive WA basketball was in the NBL hey days of the'90s.

Reply #431190 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Does this indicate similar TV to last year with Perth games live into the east coast?

Reply #431195 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Dunno how the rest of the league will feel but I certainly like it. Friday nights at Perth Arena are a winner.

Reply #431196 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

... and yeah, regarding tv, it's a real pity that WA isn't on the daylight savings bandwagon. Reducing the time difference to the east by an hour would be nice for the fans.

Reply #431197 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I actually like 9.30 on a Friday (assuming that's what it is again), it's about when Im ready to watch a game on a Friday.

Reply #431200 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yeah, but that forces it to be 6:30 start in Perth. Nice for people already in the city, but tougher for those trying to get in during peak hour. 7:00 local / 9:00 eastern would be nicer IMO.

Reply #431202 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sure, and I'd like a toilet seat made out of gold but it's just not on the cards now, is it baby?

Reply #431204 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Speak for yourself, ya brokeass sucka

Reply #431206 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wonder if this could work with doubleheaders, and the 36ers picking up teams on the Sunday?

Reply #431209 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If they pick them up on the Saturday might get some tired legs in the fourth quarter!

Reply #431212 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

There are possibility to have double headers for most teams, Sydney and Woolongong, Cairns and Townsville, Adelaide and Perth, even Melbourne and New Zealand. A few years ago I did the Sydney Woolongong double header and was a great trip even though we lost both games.

Reply #431220 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The Wildcats averaged crowds of more than 11,000 in their first season at Perth Arena
They averaged that for the season? Far out that's damn good.

Reply #431241 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yeah that was the average - yet to have an individual crowd get below 10k, for that matter.

Friday night games are a tick for me, very happy with that.

Good to see they're dodging Perth Glory/Scorchers/Ashes fixtures, too.

Reply #431250 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I can't remember if it was in attendance or by television viewers but didn't a Perth home game drastically out-rate a cricket match played in Perth at the same time last season? Someone else may recall the exact details...

Reply #431253 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Pretty sure it was attendance - Wildcats crowd was bigger then the crowd at the WACA for an Australian One Day International

Reply #431255 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yeah, out-drew an ODI - seem to recall it was Sri Lanka? Not totally sure...

Either way, showed there was still some life and fight in these old NBL bones.

Reply #431260 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Something like that. It's really been incredibly impressive, especially the crowds in red. The 36ers have had little luck getting anything like that going (fans in blue) while many have been so disappointed with the results.

Reply #431265 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Its something they hammer at - went to the extent of adding in serious discounts to the Cats store for red replica singlets with all new sign-ons. Red Army gets mentioned at every occasion, Red is in just about all the slogans. It something they seem to take a very holistic approach to. The results speak for itself though.

Once you hit a tipping point it becomes self-reinforcing, as well.

Reply #431273 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

bring back the Doomsday Double

Reply #431276 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I've not worn red once to a Cats game. It's not my colour.

Reply #431286 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'Wonder if this could work with doubleheaders, and the 36ers picking up teams on the Sunday?'

Sunday games are the worst for attendance and atmosphere in Adelaide with figures to prove this.

The sixers should not play more than 3-4 Sunday games max, tv deal or not.

Reply #431293 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

If i was running the Perth Glory I'd be trying to avoid clashing with the Wildcats, not the other way around! Good to see the Cats doing their best to avoid clashes with other local teams, but i wonder if the same consideration is given to the Cats especially now that their attendances are stronger than the other local teams.

Having said that, would like to know how membershiip renewals are going. I havent heard a thing about it!

Reply #431294 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Adelaide have a number of problematic areas in comparison to Perth:

» Less secure finances (going from BSA to Groves...I mean Hemmerling to SOS)
» Consistently crap results over the past 5+ years compared to consistently brilliant results including championships
» We haven't had the same core group of players - the average person probably wouldn't know a single 36er these days (back in the day people knew of Maher or Smyth etc.)
» Perth Arena is right in the city isn't it? And it's new - we've got a not bad by any means, but not-so-new stadium a fair distance from the city
» Perth are really good at marketing, all over the city they've had banners etc. It's hard to miss. None of that at all from the 36ers bar the odd tv/radio advert and newspaper ad - very easy to miss unless you're specifically looking out for it

Reply #431297 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yep, the new Arena is right in the CBD, which has been thriving anyway lately due to a number of new developments.

Reply #431302 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sunday games are the worst for attendance and atmosphere in Adelaide with figures to prove this.
Hasn't seemed to have stopped the club previously. I wonder if they'll do it for double-headers with the Lightning, and for league scheduling reasons (cheaper to run a double-header than separate).

I'm a bit indifferent when it comes to Sunday games. Generally happy with Fridays.

Reply #431306 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the 36ers have already announced their split of games, which from memory was pretty even between Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Reply #431310 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

It's wasn't the club that wanted the Sunday games, it was purely the nbl knowing the Adelaide Arena was easily available for games on whatever day suited them for the tv deal. Considering the Arena is mainly used basically for basketball, unlike most other teams stadiums which are mostly entertainment centres and booked out before nbl dates are made.

The 36ers will always be used and abused for this reason alone when it comes to playing days and times scheduled by the nbl and broadcasters. Which I believe is an absolute joke, I remember a Sunday game last season in Adelaide and at the same time the Reds were playing at home and a AFL game was also on in Adelaide that same afternoon.

Reply #431313 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

They are supposedly building 2 skyscrapers next to Perth Arena so it's all happening... I love Perth Arena and Fridays suit me better than Thursdays or Sundays... Did we get a Saturday game at all?

Perth Arena may be red (with blue seats) and have lots of supporters but I took a 36ers fan and a tigers fan to different games there last season and they were totally drowned out... Only the grand final series could opposition fans be heard... Great passion shown I will admit!

Reply #431318 | Report this post

Shells  
Years ago

They need to remember that it's not just people coming from PERTH to watch..... Friday night games hard for people to get to that live 2 hrs away.... Especially when they are consecutive Friday games......( you can't get the boss to let you off early every Friday). We may well be the minority that is effected, but it would be nice for the Wildcats to acknowledge that we are country members and gives some sort of concession...... Our tickets will go to waste some weeks.....Once again country miss out! Thanks Wildcats....NOT HAPPY

Reply #431326 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Shells - they have acknowledged that People outside of the city have troubles getting there and are trying to push the tip off time back to allow more time to get into the city centre. We're less likely to have consecutive fridays this year as well, since we won't have that multiple weeks away at the start of the year compressing the rest of the season's home games.

Reply #431338 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754