daneo
Years ago

More Thon Maker on Draft Express.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Thon-Maker-and-DeAndre-Ayton-Video-Interviews-4250

Nice little interview with him, happy that he still says he is from Australia but living in the states. Didn't really give away too much where his alligences would lie, but not negitive in anyway.

Topic #32340 | Report this topic

daneo  
Years ago

*he is australian

Reply #431356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sounds American to me...

funny how the top 3 future 'Aussie' prospects people talk about on this website all have roots elsewhere... don't know if it's purely genetics or how kids are been raised by parents of differing background?

Reply #431357 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Multi cultural country.

Reply #431361 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All recent prospects bar Mills and Jawai (any others?) have significant roots elsewhere (considering only the last few thousand years, let's say). Not like Newley, Ingles, etc have had families here for more than several generations.

But yes, I think that having a basketballer parent has probably given Exum, Simmons, Bolden, etc a handy start. These kids would've been handling a basketball and hanging around courts from a young age.

Genetics would play a part to some extent, but height is probably key too.

DMac has a kid who got somewhere, but without the forecast these three have. Cecil, Dave and Bruce were all pretty tall and coupling tall kids with early skill development wouldn't hurt. Lindsay Gaze's son is about as white as they come, but has height on his side.

As for Maker, I think height is a huge part of his appeal. Sudanese average height is pretty tall.

Reply #431363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree height has something to do with it but not all. Australia has plenty of 6'5+ people, I believe how kid is raised is probably the bigger problem than height alone. In addition, there are plenty of <6'3 in elite level basketball around the world.

Reply #431366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

on topic of height, the so-called 'Australian' Kyrie Irving is barely 6'3...

Reply #431370 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Most of us were proud when Loggins,Grace and Fisher represented the boomers. Dante,Ben and Jonah are Aussie born kids who will most likely represent our country. Aron Baynes was born in nz but also proud to call him a boomer

Reply #431371 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Well put Isaac. When put in this perspective the whole idea of nationalism and "Australian-ness" gets a bit arbitrary doesn't it?

"If you're going to have a flag, have a flag of a vagina. So then you can meet people and go "Oh hi where are you from? Oh, same as me, let's be friends!" - comedian Simon Amstell

Reply #431381 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Jezz, Jezz, Jezz... 'Womb' would have been a whole lot classier there mate!

Jokes asside, any athlete on the highest stage who is born here or adopts Australia as his/her home has my support.

Unless they are a drug cheat, racist, criminal or have no sportsmanship whatsovere!

Lucky for us Basketball has been fairly good on these issues (unlike some international and national sports of late).

Reply #431383 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jez and Bear - I agree.

If we're going to pick semi-arbitrary zones and people are going to adopt those and compete, I'm keen to watch and support.

I think it's great that so many of the past imports who have been such a big part of our league, have settled here, stayed involved with the sport and raised families. Even better if their kids come up through the ranks and have a chance at tackling the world's best in Australia's colours.

Same goes with migrants or refugees.

Love seeing Majak Daw taking on what is almost our national sport despite coming through countries where AFL wouldn't even be on any radar.

Reply #431386 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Haha sorry Bear for the language! I figured cos I didn't use the word with any malicious intent it was cool but I apologise anyway.

On Majak Daw it goes to show the sort of media coverage basketball could be getting, or should be striving to get in the future, if it was able to break back into the mainstream. Hopefully this happens with some of the genuine emerging talents like Maker coming through. Daw is by no means an AFL star (at least not yet) but has attracted a lot of (mostly positive) attention, though some of the coverage has been a little ham-fisted and over the top.

Reply #431393 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I thought that Simmons, Exum and Bolden (sons) had Australian mothers, which makes this a bit different from guys like Irving and Maker.

Reply #431395 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

That interview was shocking. Poor journo.

Reply #431410 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Maker is definitely on the radar.

He is Australian of Sudanese origin.

Reply #431442 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

The Journo was Jonathan Givony who is actually quite highly respected and one the main guys from DraftExpress. Thon didn't really help him out with short closed answers.

Reply #431450 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754