NotJack
Years ago

BSA and SAC announce high performance restructure

From the BSA website:

Basketball SA and SA Country are pleased to announce that they will be restructuring their high performance, player and coach development areas to introduce a new state wide structure.

Basketball SA and SA Country are pleased to announce that they will be restructuring their high performance, player and coach development areas to introduce a new state wide structure.

Neil Gliddon to hang up his Basketball SA coach's clip board

The decision by Basketball SA and SA Country to restructure the high performance, player and coach development areas has for some time been discussed with Neil Gliddon, the current Basketball SA High Performance Manager. First highlighted in the 2010-11 Basketball SA High Performance Review, a change in direction was required that needed to be supported by additional resourcing to ensure that South Australian basketball could move to a higher level of player and coach development.

Neil believes that these changes will further enhance the strong programs that are already in place, but has decided that this was the right time in his life to hang up the clip board and retire from his role with Basketball SA.

Neil started his role as State Coaching Director in 1991 with BASA and later transitioned to High Performance Manager with Basketball SA in 2006. Neil has worked for 22 years in his Athlete and Coach Development roles for the states peak body and over that time he has worked with thousands of young players and hundreds of coaches to help shape the game of basketball in South Australia.

Some of the players that Neil has worked with in the Elite Training and SASI basketball programs include Brad and Mia Newley, Joe Ingles, Luke Schenscher, Tess Madgen, Cayla Francis, and Stephanie Talbot. During Neil’s tenure, South Australia has won over 70 medals at junior national championships and had over 70 athletes selected to attend the AIS.

Basketball SA would like to thank Neil for his contribution to basketball in South Australia and acknowledge him as one of the longest serving employees for BASA and Basketball SA.

Neil’s final day at Basketball SA will be on Tuesday 13

An interim plan has been developed to ensure that programs managed by Neil will continue as normal until the new State High Performance Manager is appointed.

th August 2013.

The restructure will result in the following being introduced:

A new State High Performance Manager responsible for driving, managing and overseeing state wide high performance, player and coach development programs, state teams and talent identification.
A new Player and Coach Development Officer being employed for the metropolitan area to drive new talent identification and coach recruitment and development programs.
The SA Country High Performance Manager will align his duties to the new State High Performance Manager and will be responsible to drive new talent identification and coach recruitment and development programs in regional SA. SA Country will retain control over their programs through the management structure in place.
As well as the changes to the staffing structure two new groups will be introduced:

A new Player & Coach Development Panel that will be tasked with the role to assist develop new strategies aimed at improving athlete and coach development; talent identification; and high performance programs.
A new Joint Management Committee that will oversee the delivery of outcomes from key high performance and player and coach development staff.
The benefits of this new structure are:

Additional resources to focus on the areas of talent identification, athlete and coach development
An ability to attract a high calibre candidate to the new state wide role
Additional resources to provide more focused development at all key levels - Elite Athletes, Underpinning Athletes, Network Coach and Player Development and Representative Level Program Management
Focused attention on Coach Recruitment and Development.
The aim of the restructure is to achieve the following:

Increase the number of skilled coaches in the basketball system
Provide significant support to members on coach recruitment and development programs and practices
Improve talented identification from within and outside of our sport
Improve the development of elite athletes and coaches
Increase the number of male and female athletes in national programs
Improve the standards of association and district competitions
Improve results of state programs
Increase participation rates
Create consistency across the state in program delivery and policies
Basketball SA and SA Country will now work through a process to find a high calibre candidate for the new State High Performance Manager. Our expectations are that advertising will begin mid to late August with the aim of having the successful candidate begin in October 2013. The role of Player and Coach Development Officer will be advertised later in the year, in order to allow the new State High Performance Manager to participate in the appointment process.

The process for appointing the Player and Coach Development Panel will be outlined in the near future. The Joint Management Committee will consist of the Basketball SA CEO, SA Country Executive Officer and Basketball Australia National Player and Coach Development Manager.

This is an exciting change that we believe will provide significant benefits to our members and sport and we looking forward to sharing more information as things progress.

And go hoopsters

Topic #32347 | Report this topic

Bruce  
Years ago

Looks like some great changes with a much improved 'big picture' approach to SA Basketball

Reply #431435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you resign in a couple of days time to have an interim setup until the new person is hired?

Reply #431436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^possibly unhappy with the decision.

Reply #431446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

possibly was not his decision to retire?

Reply #431451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

either way looks like a good thing for sa basketball

neil has had his time and now. Someone new and hopefully highly qualified comes in and takes the runs I.e. a watkins in nsw or a joyce like vic country

possibly Justin returns to his home state?

Reply #431455 | Report this post

Clapped Out Hack  
Years ago

Oi!!! Leave Justin alone. We need him in Tas!!

Reply #431461 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

What's he getting paid?
This has a price tag worthy of getting some decent names attached.

Reply #431473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon there is an obvious person out there if he wants to return home from Vic.

Reply #431479 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

This job needs to be contract based. Not once in always in.
Inclusive of performance bonuses. Teams perform well in either SAM or SAC a bonus is added.
Time to get this job right and make sure it suits all parties involved.

Reply #431485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, job pay and incentive bonus should be weighted, time to get it right.

Reply #431486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon there's an obvious person out there if they want to return from Qld!

Reply #431494 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Would love to know more about this as this was certainly done quietly.
Who instigated it?
How high up the food chain it come from?
Where is the payment coming from?

Reply #431495 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Who?
Surely names are ok for this forum about this type of thing..

Reply #431496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scott Butler

Reply #431499 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Thanks.

Reply #431504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dean Kinsman

Reply #431506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is being linked to Sturt a pre-requisite for any of the roles?

Reply #431507 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I think being linked to wanting the best for the state kids and results will be the pre req I would think.
#troll

Reply #431510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon Kinsman would be earning too much in his roles in Vic to consider this role? Might be wrong.

Pritchard? Would Chris Lucas or Jan Stirling do it?

Reply #431513 | Report this post

rust bucket  
Years ago

Couple of blokes in Qld actually

Reply #431514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon I know 3 guys in mexicola that would be great for this gig, all willing to work for one salary. Gotta be of value!

Reply #431560 | Report this post

Ivory Tower  
Years ago

As long as there are:
> no more long term non reviewed positions
>all appointments are employed on quality outcomes which are based on performance indexes
>this state doesn't get a quasi one club mentality excluding players/coaches that are not top of the table clubs
>there is a panel to review and make these changes happen if success is not achieved
> flushing of current admin ,this State needs an injection of improvement from stadiums to State Team results
>increase and maintain standard of Umpiring
>lift the media profile of the game

Reply #431561 | Report this post

penates  
Years ago

tower some of those things are not that persons role - more of a BSA role

Reply #431566 | Report this post

afar  
Years ago

Ivory Tower, your comments make me sad.

I'll take a wild stab in the dark in say you are from one of the clubs that doesn't have a coaching director and consistently produce poor players for this state.

It’s really easy to blame Neil for not fixing your broken club. I’m getting sick and tired of all the sob stories I read from clubs that don’t get things handed to them on a platter. Maybe you should try and fix it yourself...it’s not very hard.

The way I see it there are 3 clubs that are doing the right thing, Fville, Sturt and Norwood. All 3 have full time positions dedicated to their juniors. This is a must for any junior club to provide a desirable product.

Stop whinging and do something to fix your club.

Reply #431586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afar,

Wow Norwood is performing well isn't it!

And the other two do have things handed to them on a silver platter re scheduling of games at a three court stadium and the additional revenue flow through canteen etc. Even an ex Forestville player and I believe Australian player indicated that unless facilities are sorted out other clubs are starting way behind the 8 ball.

Reply #431587 | Report this post

afar  
Years ago

If you don't commit to you juniors by employing a full time coaching director instead of funnelling money to your senior program then you have no right to complain.

It’s not that difficult to raise the money needed to fund a fulltime position. I can think of two easy ways to raise $25k relatively quickly.

Again, if you keep sooking that you don’t have what others have you will never make any inroads.

Be a problem solver not a part of the problem.

Reply #431609 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

not that difficult to raise $25k relatively easy..are you kidding?
perhaps in the land of the great silver spoon but not in the real world.
Things are bloody tough at the moment and funds around basketball are scarce.
Every foundation Club has to distribute some funds to ABA..it doesn't run cost free
Congrats to the Clubs that have been able to raise sufficent revenue..but don't say its easy..!

Reply #431614 | Report this post

showdown 1  
Years ago

well why not share a stadium - i.e. north have a case for a new stadium and norwood could share a 3to4 court stadium - giving them a canteen / bar revenue.

50/50

or whoever does the work - gets the $

Reply #431616 | Report this post

afar  
Years ago

Cat, your priorities are out of whack if you think you need to pay $15k for a senior program, funded by the junior program, and give nothing back to the junior program.

so, there's $15k. $10 to go...really not that hard if you have your priorities right.

no short term fixes here. I've heard the same sob stories for years and am tired of listening to the self pitty.

Do something to fix the problem. Its your problem, no one elses, take responsibility.

There is a reason SASi is littered with kids from fvill and sturt. Put 2 and 2 together mate.

Reply #431625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afar,
You are assuming that those clubs waste money on ABA. That is not necessarily the case and I can't believe that you know every clubs financial position. Do you want to try and guess the gross revenue of a F/ville say v a West or North

Perhaps share you plans to generate $25k without assuming money is spent on ABA. I am sure you will have clubs lining up seeking your financial services

Reply #431641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel we are getting off topic...

who should be the prime candidates chased for the high performance manager position?

who do people think are possibly candidates for the player/coach development role? (2nd in command)

Reply #431646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if there's a person from out of SA in the top job I'd like to see one of the "higher-ups" of the current SA NITP crew get the 2IC job.

Reply #431647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Butler will get it. Nothing surer.

Reply #431663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afar or PM? your full of twat.

Its not what you know and how well you play its who you know.

Look at the quality of the state program and state results haven't been so great past few years and well 16 National boys seemed to have a fair chunk of Southern players?

We all know Sturt and Forestville have comfortable ties in BSA and get gifted an easy run "the golden children so to speak" sure you may have earned it once but remember your glass tower esp Sturt is not as strong as it once was and well tides turn Jack enjoy while it lasts.

The sooner the ROT that is BSA gets fleshed out and fresh new people with a State perspective come in the better.

Reply #431667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it is SB then it is just groundhog day

Reply #431668 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

great work afar...you seem to have all the answers whilst talking shit
every funding model for a Club is different..you don't have a clue how mine is structured
short term fix ..self pity??
I have no idea what you're on about here but I hope the meds kick in soon
I certainly do sit on a number of Committees at my Club so does that qualify for fixing 'your problem ' and taking responsibility.
I love it how you boast of having all the answers and failing to provide evidence of one good idea..
get the silver spoon out of your arse and go whence you came

Reply #431706 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Interesting comments re new position BSA
Thoughts are we need someone who has been involved in High performance COACHING AND PLAYING who has International experience and know how!!
This is an important role for all SA clubs moving forward and should be carefully chosen on several main criteria
1. Previous experiences job positions and vision
2. Previous success rates
3. Current exposure to Australian and International basketball administration and playing systems.

BSA have obviously thought about this role and the person if successful will need to bring the state together for the benefit of all.

Good luck Neil in your retirement.
Certainly your many years of basketball in this state was appreciated by many.

BSA have some homework and screening to do to get the future of SA basketball right!!

Reply #431780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you can't see the problem like 'afar', you can't fix it. We will have another coaching director who has eyes only for 3 or 4 clubs and afar telling the world it's the poor clubs fault. SA great, I think not.

Reply #431791 | Report this post

jacktoss  
Years ago

I have had the sasi experience with my lad and to be honest ,I had to drag my boy there in year 2 and 3.He is 15 and doesn't like neils workings.the atmosphere is stagnant ,the boys are confused .theres no plays .theres no laughter .theres no light at the end.no one on one for spots,of which I am a big fan.At the end you train and play for yourself and your coach,I feel this hasn't been a positive thing but Im sure Neil did whatever he was capsble of.
I would definitely go out of sa for a new bsa basketball manager .I don't think Paul would be a popular choice .What is the prerequisite for this?An old sixer would definitely spice

Reply #431828 | Report this post

Callisto 59  
Years ago

I think you are all forgetting the bigger picture here.
This position "State High Performance Manager" is a joint venture.

The "State High Performance Manager "will be in charge of both SA Country & BSA.

Not just BSA

Reply #431982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

which is a good thing

then there will be a 2IC for country and metro

i.e. Jason Bald SAC and the Player/coach dev officer.

Reply #431986 | Report this post

Callisto 59  
Years ago

Here, here

Reply #431990 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:05 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754